Painting Techniques

CWalker

I picked up an ammo box today in advance of future cache placement. I sanded down the box and sprayed it with a tan base coat. I want to paint it in a desert camo theme, but I have no idea how to do this. Would anyone with these skills share them here, or point me to a link? I have two shades of tan paint, some white and black. I guess I just need help with the actual spraying. Do you just eye ball it, or do you use a stencil?

Thanks!

And I need to know how many Wal Mart/glad bags to wrap it in. hahahahahaha!

You might want to have a look at this website: Camoflage Miniature Painting. It shows how to paint a miniature in camoflage, which is a bit small for your purposes, but his techniques are really nice.

In terms of what colors to use, I think that would depend on where you are going to hide it. I would look at the hiding location, and mimic the colors and patterns as best you can.

I did check out the U.S. Military website, and their advice was to paint anything you wanted to camoflage in the desert a basic tan. I don't think that's good advice if you're going to be hiding your cache near a rock or bush where the color is more varied.

Would you post a picture of it when it's done? I'd love to see how it turns out.

Shannah

After I put down a base coat (green) I picked some ferns and laid them on the cache container and painted brown and black in a random pattern. When I lift off the ferns, perfect camo!

I know I know, a few ferns gave up their lives.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

I just keep the green base coat of the ammo box and spray blotches of colors that vary depending on where I plan to hide it. If among rocks, I use mostly grey, with black and some brown. If among leaves or in trees, then I use mostly brown with another shade of green and some black.

It's not the perfect camo, but looks pretty good.

I also make sure that I cover the hinge and latch with a good coat of Rustoleum.

I use stencils to mark the cache. Depending on the color of the camo, I use either black, brown

or tan paint for the lettering. I then very lightly spray the area of the lettering with one of my camo colors to soften the edges of the lettering.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Criminal, look what you've done now. Were gonna have the International Society of Environmental Botanists on our case and shut this game down now probably!

Gads, I don't know what's worse - the fact that that organization really exists, or the fact I know it does... Ugh.

Good idea though, never thought of that, I've been using the kid's gerbils. Hard to keep them still long enough to paint over them.... icon_wink.gif

Criminal, look what you've done now. Were gonna have the International Society of Environmental Botanists on our case and shut this game down now probably!

Gads, I don't know what's worse - the fact that that organization really exists, or the fact I know it does... Ugh.

Good idea though, never thought of that, I've been using the kid's gerbils. Hard to keep them still long enough to paint over them.... icon_wink.gif

I usually put a base coat of a flat foliage color, then cut some palm fronds (this is Florida) and lay them in a pattern over the container and paint over it with shades of brown and tan in various patterns. When you remove the foliage it has the frond pattern and fits pretty well with a typical hiding place down here.

I've seen some cool stone-texture spray paint at the Home Depot that looks like it would be interesting to try, but I haven't come across a hiding location around here that would work with the stone texture.