something odd on geocaching.com

Enos Shenk

What was that! icon_eek.gif I don't know, I don't care. I'm on cloud 9, I just bought myself my own Garmin Etrex Legend and as soon as I get outside I'll let you know the coordinates for Cloud 9. If I ever come back inside. It's like Christmas and Birthdays all rolled into one. Didn't think electronics could make me feel this way! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Cache you later!

Planet

Cache you later,

Planet

What was that! icon_eek.gif I don't know, I don't care. I'm on cloud 9, I just bought myself my own Garmin Etrex Legend and as soon as I get outside I'll let you know the coordinates for Cloud 9. If I ever come back inside. It's like Christmas and Birthdays all rolled into one. Didn't think electronics could make me feel this way! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Cache you later!

Planet

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I remember gopher.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Well do you remember Archie and Veronica?

I also remember a problem in one of my early statistics classes where we had to explain why the statement "Half the people you meet are below average." was a statistical fallacy.

quote:
Originally posted by UnknownCacher:

quote:

I remember gopher.

george

Well do you remember Archie and Veronica?

I also remember a problem in one of my early statistics classes where we had to explain why the statement "Half the people you meet are below average." was a statistical fallacy.

Shouldn't it be "Half the people are below the median"?

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC:

I was playing around with some speech recognition trying to open my bookmarks, when this popped up

http://www.geocaching.com/bait.asp

bot food? If so its the strangest bot food ive ever seen.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

I must be locked in the dungeon too long, away from Infoworld and PC Magazine. What IS that?

[Addendum: I just looked at that WPoison link above...Bravo!]

ApK

Ok, I've used Pine, Archie, Gopher, etc at UW in the 80s (where I was just visiting--often) and on my brother's Internet shell account in the early to mid 90s. The one I'm wondering about is Veronica--what does Veronica do?

And now I wish I had wpoison on my site since someone just grabbed a bunch of email addresses from there and started spamming yesterday. Now I need a way to stop the spam that's already started...

quote:
Originally posted by Man In The Wild:

Ok, I've used Pine, Archie, Gopher, etc at UW in the 80s (where I was just visiting--often) and on my brother's Internet shell account in the early to mid 90s. The one I'm wondering about is Veronica--what does Veronica do?

I'm not sure if you used gopher in the 80s, as the earliest reference is 1991.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

Yes and no. That statement is true, but the statement that half the people are below average is also true, for a couple of reasons:

First, "average" isn't a precisely defined term. It usually refers to mean, but it could refer to any of median, mode, or mean, or any other measure of a group. Which it refers to depends on a lot of things, but mostly context. Consider this sentence: "The average guy would rather watch football than ice dancing." Clearly the word "average" there does not refer to mean, but rather to mode. In the case at hand, since there is no context, we get to define it however we'd like, so long as the result ends up being a point in a well-ordered set ("below" has to be possible.)

Secondly, even if "average" does refer to the mean, the mean of a normal distribution is pretty darned close to the median. Most measures of the entire population tend to be pretty close to a normal distribution, so the statement is probably still true to a few decimal places.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Inmountains:

Also, statistics show that 1/3 of the worlds population is fighting some type of illness, so if the person on the left of you and the right of you is healthy, . . . . . . . .

Just showing the fallacy of Statistics!!!!!

That's not the fallacy of statistics; that's the fallacy of inappropriate application of statistics.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~banks/geocache.html

Average can be defined a couple different ways. It's usually defined as the mean but it just depends on what you're talking about.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:

Average can be defined a couple different ways. It's usually defined as the mean but it just depends on what you're talking about.

george

My statistics class we had to explain the fallacy to the statement "Half the people you meet are below average intelligence." There are couple of assumptions here. One that the distribution of intelligence is a normal distribution (the tradition bell curve). But most people accept that is true. So in that case it looks like that half the people you meet would be below average intelligence. But the other assumption is that you meet a random sample of people. This normally isnt true.

If being average means making sense of all this average talk, and being above average permits one to talk about averages, then count me in as one of the ones below average.

Oh, wait a minute, I just talked about averages, so I must be above average?

If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say .... the red is positive and the black is negative." (Nick Dipaolo)

quote:
_If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say .... the red is positive and the black is negative." (Nick Dipaolo)_

Where do you find these wonderful quotes???? I like the one about dating a girl who's father calls her princess...

Chip

quote:
Originally posted by SyrDragon:

They still use Pine at Syracuse University (as of 2000) for email.

Any why wouldn't they?

Pine is a perfectly good MUA.

I've been an Elm user forever.

That is, until I discovered Mutt.

But, what is Oak? (besides an early name for Java)

-- t6

Anywhere is "walking distance" if you have the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

Where do you find these wonderful quotes???? I like the one about dating a girl who's father calls her princess...

A few are original, a few are some I edited to fit my own feelings, some are unedited. The princess one I read in a Shriners newsletter a long time ago, it is true to life for me. The Monkey one I stumbled across on the net. Another, the "Me and that dog are gonna take a walk in the woods, and only one of us is coming back..." is a saying an old relative of mine always used, but never followed through with.

I keep a notepad document on my desktop, and when I get inspired or come across one I like, I type or paste it in there for future use.

There's 3 kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Wow, this topic really gone all over the place! A partial answer to the original question...

All of the geoccache pages used to have "Copyright© (Grounded Inc.) 2001..." at the bottom and there was a link to that bait page. So, yes, I guess it was there for the bots mining for spam addresses.

The geocache pages no longer have that link anymore.

Seth!

The mental gymnastics involving statistics [above] is invigorating. But, have we considered the fact that the average Joe [what ever an average Joe is] doesn't care about the differences between average, mean, median and mode. Average is, well average, mean is nasty, median has something to do with income and mode goes on a pie. To him, half the people he meets are below average. If you told him half the people you meet are below median, he might understand that they arn't affluent.

I think that half below average is probably better understood. icon_wink.gif

The mental gymnastics involving statistics [above] is invigorating. But, have we considered the fact that the average Joe [what ever an average Joe is] doesn't care about the differences between average, mean, median and mode. Average is, well average, mean is nasty, median has something to do with income and mode goes on a pie. To him, half the people he meets are below average. If you told him half the people you meet are below median, he might understand that they arn't affluent.

quote:

I thought below median meant you're buried under the highway divider?

Anyway, average is commonly understood to mean something like "typical" which works unless thats not what you mean... :-)

ApK

quote:

I thought below median meant you're buried under the highway divider?

Anyway, average is commonly understood to mean something like "typical" which works unless thats not what you mean... :-)

ApK