Automatic Renewal through PayPal

DisQuoi

I just received an email from PayPal saying that I "sent $30.00 to

Groundspeak as a subscription payment."

When I signed up a year ago, I never selected an automatic renewal option. I did not authorize this payment. I've searched the forum for this topic and have found some references to automatic renewal but could not resolve my concern.

Please point out to me the account setting or option that I overlooked for this to happen. While I may be willing to renew, I am still undecided. I would have preferred an email requesting confirmation before such a transaction straight from my checking account.

1. When I made my original $30 payment, I had no intention of making it a lifetime subscription. I was anxious to support Geocaching.com which had a stated mission to greatly expand the functionality of the site. I paid with a "let's see" outlook.

Are the three clearly described methods ("Monthly Charter Membership (Renews Monthly), Annual Charter Membership (Does not renew), Annual Charter Membership (Renews Annually)" the same options I had a year ago? ... or has this information been added or clarified? I know I would never have purposefully selected the third option ... never.

2. Thanks for the link to the PayPal Warning thread. Isn't that crazy? However, I don't think that this has anything to do with that.

3. I am unable to find any account setting here or at PayPal that indicates that I have a recurring automatic checking account withdrawl set up.

4. I'd like to think that should I decide not to renew, Groundspeak will refund this payment?

Yes. Thank you. So last March, we all signed up for automatic withdrawl from our bank accounts. This information was not clearly made at the time. I have been unable to find a setting here or at PayPal to deactivate automatic renewal. I'm guessing that automatic renewal was part of the enhanced functionality that comes with membership?

I have to agree with DisQuoi here... I seem to remember (although there's a possibility that I remember incorrectly) that I opted not to get the automatic renewal membership... since I'd just started school and I wasn't sure how my employment situation would be.

Yesterday I got notification that $30 was automatically deducted from my account.

The thing is, I probably would have done it anyway... but I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't have done it automatically.

Jamie

I wonder what I need to do to change mine to automatic. When I signed up, I wasn't sure how active we were going to be. Now I know, and would like to change to automatic. If you found out how to turn it off, then you probably know how to turn it on, so I thought I'd ask. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

The problem isn't Groundspeak...it's the way your PayPal account is set up. To fix the problem do the following....

Log on to your PayPal account. Click the "History" tab. then click the drop down box and scroll down to Subscriptions. Then change the starting search date back to 2002 and you will see the subscription to Groundspeak. click the bule active line and scroll down and take the auto renewal off.

Hope this helps

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by Moore9KSUcats:

Just curious... will the payment be taken out on the anniversary date? Does anyone know? We also have the auto renewal, and I just want to make sure there is enough in that checking account.

Yes...go to paypal and you will see the date it was originally sent on.

El Diablo

I signed up for my subscription the day they were originally offered. I don't recall any payment option except the $3 monthly or $30 yearly plans ... and as the excerpt from my original paypal receipt (pasted below) clearly illustrates, the fact that the subscription would automatically renew was disclosed at that time:

-------------------------------------------------

$30.00 per year

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

-------------------------------------------------

I had a similar problem with Paypal when it tried to automatically withdraw $30 from my checking account to pay for my charter membership. It failed for some reason, so it sent me an e-mail message saying it would try again in about 4 days. Well, I didn't want to wait 4 days to get my charter membership back, so I went to Groundspeak and paid for a new subscription using my credit card.

Until recently I thought my old subscription was cancelled, but after reading this thread and following El Diablo's directions, I discovered that Paypal was still trying to renew my old subscription. If one more day had gone by, it probably would have successfully withdrawn another $30.

That was close. Thanks El Diablo for sharing this helpful information about Paypal subscriptions. It saved me 30 bucks. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Until recently I thought my old subscription was cancelled, but after reading this thread and following El Diablo's directions, I discovered that Paypal was still trying to renew my old subscription. If one more day had gone by, it probably would have successfully withdrawn another $30.

That was close. Thanks El Diablo for sharing this helpful information about Paypal subscriptions. It saved me 30 bucks. icon_biggrin.gif

Did I mention there was a small fee payable to me for this information??? icon_wink.gif but I'll let the fee slide if you buy one of my Geocaching Hiking sticks icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

I paid for my second year way before I needed to, but sense this is the most fun I ever had I didn’t want to screw it up . If I waited for someone to tell me to do something that I already knew I should, then I would be left out.

I am in it for life or divorce which ever comes first

I woulda much rathered a notice before the autopay too!

I haven't really been active geocaching, there are exactly ZERO MOCs in this state and I just was thinking that I probably shouldn't renew the other day. Now that paypal has twisted my arm into though, Im just a lil mad about it all!

Kristie icon_rolleyes.gif

=============

If life gives you lemons, stuff them in your shirt to make your boobs look bigger!

Got the same message. I don't recall signing up for automatic renewal either.

Surely a reminder 10 days prior would have been the best way to go. That way you would have the option to cancel before it took effect.

I planned on renewing so I'm not upset. Just concerned.

The fact is paypal dipped into my checking account and took out 30 bucks with no prior notice.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty O Junk:

I'm with Marky, I checked my paypal account as El Diablo said and mine says "completed". I'd like to change it to "Automatic Renewal" but couldn't see any way to do it. Any suggestions?

From what I can find...the only way to change it to automatic is to click the link "Become a charter member" on Geocaching home page. It then gives you the option to renew automatically. I think probably most of us didn't pay attention to this originaly...we were all so anxious to give Geocaching a boost icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

I just got through struggling with our Paypal friends. They sent an email last week and this week trying to renew our subscription to the site. Since we need a Pocket Query, (and I want to play with Watcher), I cancelled the renewable subscription, and started a nonrenewable one. A notice (from Paypal)that the subscription was about to expire would have been nice.

We like supporting the site, and since we use this particular email account for Geocaching only, we get no SPAM- worth the $30/year. icon_biggrin.gif

While balancing my checkbook today, I was finally confronted with the decision ... keep my membership or request a refund. I decided that I didn't feel right that the fee was taken without a reminder or confirmation request. I emailed Groundspeak requesting that the payment fe refunded.

Within hours, the refund was made. Cheers to Groundspeak!

For the past sevral months I have focused on family and work, leaving most of my enjoyment of geocaching to placing and maintaining my caches for others to find. If more opportunity presents itself, and I start hunting more geocaches, I will not hesitate to re-subscribe to the service (or if some really cool functionality is added).

Regards,

Dan