4X4 Accessable Caches

I think I've seen some people mention about going after caches in their 4x4's . Sounds like fun. How many others out there do this and does anyone know of any caches in the New England area that you need a 4x4 to get to?

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I use my 4x4 for every cache. I just don't have to use the 4-wheel drive for that many.

My Geo-Tank can go over almost anything, including Hyundais (as the wife proved). I prefer to drive over dirt roads full of rocks so those people in small cars and minivans can't follow me. The only disadvantage I have is a 130-inch wheelbase (it's a Suburban).

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

hehe....got a Jeep Wrangler here...It's my primary cache vehicle, but haven't had to use 4 wheel drive or anything to get into any of the parking lots for the local caches.. icon_cool.gif

I was just thinking I probably should do a pocket query of caches with terrains of 5 and then go through those. Might come up with something within a decent distance of a drive from here to go and play.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

We each have an Explorer, one of which is a 4x4. We have had to engage the wheels on quite a few caches here in AZ. We've had to get the shovel out once too (for the Explorer, not for the cache). icon_cool.gif Definitely more fun than an urban micro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I want to see a sunrise, I'll STAY up for it!

quote:
I want to know who uses the in-dash GPSr in thier 4x4 to find a geocache.

Not an in-dash, but a StreetPilot III. It tends to ge a bit confused with the off-road part.

Best one so far was it taking me to within 200 feet of a cache. Only problem was that it was 200 feet horizontally.. but 800 feet vertically up a sheer rock face !

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

What's your point and how does your statement have anything to do with Woodster's request for 4x4 caches in his area? If he wanted to walk to them he wouldn't have posted this thread.

Sounds like a troll trying to turn this thread into a 4x4's are evil and destroying mother earth thread. Judging from the comments in his/her profile (if you have a problem with geocaching.com, just leave) they sound antagonistic by nature.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

I think geocaching is unique in that you get a wide range of people types participating. Personally, I am not into 4x4s for any reason except driving through snow drifts when a Noreaster comes through, or towing my boat out of the drink. I like caching because it gets me to quiet places I can walk to. However, as long as the route is legal for 4x4s, then go for it. You won't see me there, but again, to each his own. Let's not flame either way, ok?

This was one of our firsts:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15216

Maybe not 4x4, but high clearance. 4X4 after it rains. I have spent a lot of time in this region, way before I got into geocaching, done a lot of camping and exploring, both on foot and by truck. Probably going to plant my first cache down there this fall.

Patti and Matthew McKenna, Watsonville California

Garmin 72

Amature WL7MN

GMRS WPQL444

It is funny how people who are accustomed to driving a 4X4 wind up needing it less and less as they become more expert at judging terrain, their own driving abilities improve and they get more experience. Once that happens they tend to write logs stating the lack of a need for 4X4.

Then some poor shmuck who reads them gets out there in a 2 wheel drive and gets stuck and wonders why the heck they believed what they read.... LOL.

The need for a 4X4 can be very subjective in any case I guess, I put mine down as such because I tend to be more cautious, and because I tend to look for the type of terrain that will challenge, or at least interest, those of the 4X4 persuasion.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

It is funny how people who are accustomed to driving a 4X4 wind up needing it less and less as they become more expert at judging terrain, their own driving abilities improve and they get more experience....

I've noticed that, and I'm not anywhere near what you would call 'good'. It's just that I'm always in my Corolla or Van when I'm suddenly faced with going off-road or giving up on the cache.

I was told once that Four Wheel Drive just means you get stuck 20 feet further down the road...

Well maybe that is a stretch, but I think with good skill, ground clearance, good tires and maybe a posi in the back, I could go just about anywhere I go now.

anyway, how many of us really go "off" road. Most of the time there is a road there, just because a econo box can't get down it doesn't mean I shouldn't. Think I have only really honestly been "off" road once or twice, all the other times there was some sort of track there.

whoops, off topic.

Patti and Matthew McKenna, Watsonville California

Garmin 72

I have a 4 wheel drive van out here in Japan and have put that thing through some really awesome stuff. It has the battle scars in the way of scrapes on both sides where I drove it down some old dirt paths leading through the woods. Friends call it the Shag Wag. It actually had shag carpet in it when I got it.

If this works you will the type of typical routes I take into the woods--deep into the woods.72145_200.jpg

"I cache; therefore I am"

quote:
Here's one, but it's in northeast Pennsylvania:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=63622

WooHoo!!

The next time I get down to Paragon AP, I'll have to try to hit this one!

I was almost thinking about asking Kyle if it would be OK to place a cache or two in there....

Very cool that they allowed it... icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about placing a cache somewhere in Harry's U-Pull-It, but they might not like that... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

WooHoo!!

The next time I get down to Paragon AP, I'll have to try to hit this one!

Please do!

And judging from your links in your sig, I'm betting that you will NOT take the easy way to get there. If you hurry, you might get the ATV travel bug that is currently there. If you do not hurry, you might get to do TWO caches at paragon (since I hope to place a second one sometime when I have some spare time).

Yes, Kyle was way cool and laid-back about permission. That's his style!