question....

moghedian

Do you enjoy caches that include in the description "Please be discreet as this is a very busy area...please take care in rehiding as people may see you...etc."? We personally got into geocaching because of the new, not so well known places caches would lead us to. We like a nice little hike. We don't have fun playing 007 or what not trying to pick up a cache without being seen, opening it up, then replacing it again without being seen. Maybe some enjoy this. Just wondering how many do enjoy this type of cache or just "skip it" like we do?....

I'd rather cache in a desolate wilderness, but I'll take whatever I can get. But then again I am quite stealthy so I generally don't mind breezing into such areas to cache. Think of it as part of the challenge.

(Edit: to be honest I just recalled skipping one cache that appeared to be in someone's backyard - THAT I didn't like..... that felt like trespassing)

I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for medical experiments.

I prefer nice hikes in the forest and cache hunts in remote ares, but I'll Geocache anywere. When we went on vacation, our cache hunts took us to many interesting spots. Places that we'd have never found if it wasn't for Geocaching. In some of these spots, we had to be discreet. Yes, there were people around and yes we had to pull a James Bond. We had fun doing so. If you aren't interested in this, then

go ahead and skip them.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I love those types. I'm in it for the hunt. I've mountain bike and hiked for years and I've seen so many beautiful places that I'm kind of jaded over the whole pretty view thing.

What I like is a challange. You don't know the kind of effort it takes to get a cache in a busy area without being noticed. You don't know how frustrating it is to be able to see the cache and not be able to go near it.

It becomes a chess match. Lot more thinking involved that just following an arrow down a trail. I like those caches too but they don't offer the same rush.

The best part is, that both types of caches area available and you can choose to skip any type of cache you don't want to do.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I've recently found 2, One in a very heavily traveled park by the beach, and this one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19341

Talk about descrete. It's one thing if people see you. It's quite another if you are surronded by security and most likely cameras. Quite a rush. I recomend it if you are ever in Ratland. icon_cool.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

George summed it up for me.

I get bored with the same old 'walk for 1/4 mile, find the box under the sticks next to the tree, walk back' caches. Don't misunderstand. These can be very fun, but it's great to have to shift gears and search in different ways for a cache hidden in a busy area.

I tend to agree with moghedian. I don't particularly care for those types of caches because they give me this feeling that I'm doing something "wrong" that I have to hide from people. I don't like that feeling, personally. Give me a good hike and a challenging find anyday over this.

I do understand that some people like that kind of thing though. This is why there are so many different kinds of caches. Different strokes...

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Surely not my favorite kind of cache because I never want to be the one that was seen putting the cache back then it shows up plundered by the next cacher. Whos fault is it? Mine because I wasn't secret enough or didn't wait 8 hours until dark when nobody was around or does the cache owner know about the strong possibility of this happening and accept it?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I did one cache like that on Block Island. Right out in the open and I was with a newbie who wasn't being very discreet. I told her to shush and be discreet, and we found it right out in the open. It was an Altoids sized micro and not very hidden, but hidden enough, if it stays that way. I didn't mind the secretiveness about it because there were only a few other groups around at the time, and I just sat down there acting like I was enjoying the view (I was) and went through it and signed in. This was at a lighthouse, if it were in more of an urban area I think I might skip over it. I tend to stay away from urban caches altogether. If there are cameras, forget it.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

does the cache owner know about the strong possibility of this happening and accept it?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I don't know of any large caches in popular urban areas. It's usually an altoids tin or 35mm cannister. Of course they might come up missing, so what. There is not a large investment, and if you want to replace the cache is pretty east. Maintenance is really easy on these types of caches too.

Then again, I've had really creative urban, busy caches that have been there through many finds and many months.

I don't know where the feeling of doing something wrong comes in. You're not being sneaky because you're doing something wrong, you're being sneaking so that the risk of the cache disapearing is less.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

As a hider, I enjoy the challenge of figuring out a way to hide a cache in a busy, open area in a way that it won't be easily found by non-cachers. A few of mine have disappeared, but most haven't (yet).

As a hunter, it's kinda fun to try and look inconspicuous while hunting for a 35mm film canister with dozens of people around.

I pretty much like to hunt/hide all types of caches.

25021_1200.gif

Due to the size of my team (5 members, including 3 between the ages of 3 and 12), I've found it a bit difficult to be discreet in those "very public" cache locations. (We do them anyway.)

I prefer the longer, sometimes physically challenging hikes where there are numerous trails to choose from along the way. And that's why I think moghedian's caches are the best in Rhode Island. Keep up the good work.