How close it too close?

Nurse Dave

We just placed our first cache and a week later have found somebody else placed on 75 feet away. We have sent a nice email letting the person know that our cache is there and could they please move their's farther away.

My question is how close is okay for caches. I looked before we placed ours and my rule of thumb was to make sure there wasn't one within 1 mile. I don't want to know what is already out there, just how close people feel they can get and still be "okay."

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

Depends on the site, the ground cover, and the nature of the locale. In a dense forest, 250 yards may be fine. In a prairie of 6 foot tall grass, 100 yards will blind you to other people. In the case of a flat short grass prairie, even a mile may be too close.

We have two in Omaha in the same park. They are in different ecosystems and are arranged such that you can't see one from the other at all. They can't be a half mile apart.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Well, according to the site - it is two tenths of a mile away, not 75 feet. I'm not sure which figure is accurate, mind you... and I noticed that you didn't have anything bad to say when you logged the cache for yourself. icon_wink.gif

I'm kinda surprised that the admins didn't catch it, if it is indeed as close as 75 feet from your cache... I wouldn't think they'd let that kind of stuff happen. I know they're quick to notice when there are two virtual caches close to the same coordinates - I figure this would have the same rules/suggestions.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Well, according to the site - it is two tenths of a mile away, not 75 feet. I'm not sure which figure is accurate, mind you... and I noticed that you didn't have anything bad to say when you logged the cache for yourself. icon_wink.gif

I'm kinda surprised that the admins didn't catch it, if it is indeed as close as 75 feet from your cache... I wouldn't think they'd let that kind of stuff happen. I know they're quick to notice when there are two virtual caches close to the same coordinates - I figure this would have the same rules/suggestions.

toe.gif

I entered the coordinates of both caches in LostOutdoors.com's Map Maker. The park is a long-skinny one, more of a greenbelt.

Classy Cache is a puzzle cache at the midpoint; Happy Caching 4 is a traditional at one end of the park--looks like it's in a field.

It wouldn't bother me if either were my cache. Right now, I have the only caches in a local park. There is a temptation to be proprietary, but it's not my park and there is plenty of room for others (in fact, I'd like a few others. Hunting my own caches is no fun.)

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

I used to have a problem with people placing caches near mine, but I've realized that we are kind of running out of 'good spots' here in the Portland area. Also, I don't want to be a jerk and tell someone where they can and can't place a cache. I've found that I get more joy/happiness out of placing than hiding, so I wouldn't want to deny someone of that feeling. Also, if it's a really unique cache or puzzle, then I totally wouldn't mind if is was close. It would be like bringing in customers icon_wink.gif

I actually did unknowingly place a puzzle cache very near someone elses cache. They were worried when they saw how close it was on the map, but after they found it, they were actually kind of glad it was nearby. We're all in this for fun, so I don't think it's as bad of an issue as people think.

That really doesn't answer the how close question does it? icon_wink.gif

Personally.. I think about a 5 minute walk away would be just close enough. If that isn't possible, then how about 250-500 feet?

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

I used to have a problem with people placing caches near mine, but I've realized that we are kind of running out of 'good spots' here in the Portland area. Also, I don't want to be a jerk and tell someone where they can and can't place a cache. I've found that I get more joy/happiness out of placing than hiding, so I wouldn't want to deny someone of that feeling. Also, if it's a really unique cache or puzzle, then I totally wouldn't mind if is was close. It would be like bringing in customers icon_wink.gif

I actually did unknowingly place a puzzle cache very near someone elses cache. They were worried when they saw how close it was on the map, but after they found it, they were actually kind of glad it was nearby. We're all in this for fun, so I don't think it's as bad of an issue as people think.

That really doesn't answer the how close question does it? icon_wink.gif

Personally.. I think about a 5 minute walk away would be just close enough. If that isn't possible, then how about 250-500 feet?

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

A cache was placed very close to the first cache that I hid. At first I was a little concerned about the placement so close to my cache, but after looking at the area a little more, I think the caches really compliment each other nicely.

My cache is at the end of a nice little hike that most people could make. The other cache is at the end of a hike that most people will not want to make. It makes for a nice cache outing for a day.

I want people to find my caches, if there is another cache close by, it improves the chances that people will take the time to find them both.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

The end point of the multi-cache is 75 feet away.

Oh, so your cache is actually a multi-cache? It is listed as a standard regular cache... I guess without reading the text in your description, someone wouldn't know that they are placing a cache near yours - since the coordinates posted aren't for the actual cache.

I'll just suggest that you change the designation of your cache to "multi-cache" rather than standard... this will let seekers, and other hiders, know that there is more to this cache than just going to the posted coordinates. The other person that hid close to yours might not have known how close they really were to your cache, if they didn't read your description text and just went with the coordinate info. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

The end point of the multi-cache is 75 feet away.

Oh, so your cache is actually a multi-cache? It is listed as a standard regular cache... I guess without reading the text in your description, someone wouldn't know that they are placing a cache near yours - since the coordinates posted aren't for the actual cache.

I'll just suggest that you change the designation of your cache to "multi-cache" rather than standard... this will let seekers, and other hiders, know that there is more to this cache than just going to the posted coordinates. The other person that hid close to yours might not have known how close they really were to your cache, if they didn't read your description text and just went with the coordinate info. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

But I suspect it will happen sooner than later. I've got a few multicaches out there, including one 12 stage that has individual caches at each stage. I have had people place caches 'near' mine, but not close enough that someone looking for one could acidentally stumble across the wrong one (and mix them up).

However if someone placed one close enough to one of mine that seekers could accidentally find the wrong one, I'd politely inform the placer of the second cache and ask that they move it (obviously explaining why, without giving away too many details). Likewise, if I placed one and someone informed me that I was very close to one of their multi's, I'd immedietly disable mine and move it ASAP.

In my opinion, 75 feet is too close. I've searched a 100ft radius for a cache before so can easily imagine someone finding the wrong one if they were that close.

---------------------------------------

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

But I suspect it will happen sooner than later. I've got a few multicaches out there, including one 12 stage that has individual caches at each stage. I have had people place caches 'near' mine, but not close enough that someone looking for one could acidentally stumble across the wrong one (and mix them up).

However if someone placed one close enough to one of mine that seekers could accidentally find the wrong one, I'd politely inform the placer of the second cache and ask that they move it (obviously explaining why, without giving away too many details). Likewise, if I placed one and someone informed me that I was very close to one of their multi's, I'd immedietly disable mine and move it ASAP.

In my opinion, 75 feet is too close. I've searched a 100ft radius for a cache before so can easily imagine someone finding the wrong one if they were that close.

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

I think this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=38773

is definately a tad too close to this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19075

IMHO, if you could literally find one when looking for the other when you've got bad reception, it's too close.

Now, if it's on the other side of a river/cliff, under 50' might not be too bad, since it requires a different approach.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Seems like there is a slight problem with multi-cache approvals (if it is desired to keep the physical caches a ways away from each other). There is no way for a cache approver to know where the actual physical cache is placed when approving a multi-cache, only where the starting point is. I'm actually fine with this and think it's not a problem, as long as the starting point is far enough away. But if there is a goal not to have physical caches so close, then the submit form for multi-caches would have to have both the starting coords and the physical cache coords. This gets more complicated if multi-cache has multiple physical caches.

--Marky

I spent over 3 months working on a Multistage and actually had left a dummy container in the final location just to see if anyone would take it. It was to be hidden in a rather unique manner but left out in the open plainly visible if you looked in the right spot.

When I was almost done and was working on typing up the text for the cache page I noticed that a new cache had just popped up in the same park and by the description it sounded like it was in the same area. I entered the cords real quick and then used the reference feature to check and see how far it was from my cache. Yup 250’ away!!

Went out that morning when I got off work (10pm – 8am shift) to check and see if my cache was visible in any way to or from the new cache. Everything was cool, woods were dense enough that it was not a problem. However occasionally people post in cache logs about how close they are.

I did email the owner about what happened. He was oblivious that there was even a first cache in that park on the other side of the road that had been placed over a year prior. I invited him to find my first cache as well as the new one when it was posted (total caches in the park, 3), unfortunately it seems he was one of those “gee whiz” cachers who place a cache then never go find any and vanish after a few weeks.

I just noticed a new cache that was placed in a park where I had the final for a multi cache hidden and the new one is only 100 feet away. It had not been forund by the new hiders yet so they had no way of knowing that it was there. I have not contacted them about it yet because I have not had a chance to check it out and see if it would be interfering with mine. I think it will be okay if it is where I think it is. Don't know the answer to how close is too close but I think this one is okay.

Can't complain, no one listens anyway.

I ran into this situation just last Saturday. I was hunting a multi in a park that also contained another multi - both by the same hider. As it turned out, he had the final cache for each hidden within 50-100 feet of each other. Since he had hidden both, he probably didn't give it much thought (each was in a different hollow tree).

But, it was confusing. If my GPS had been a little less accurate, or if reception was bad, or if I was one of those hunters who don't rely much on GPS readings, I could have very easily found the 'wrong' cache! I'm not sure how much that matters, but it is confusing....

I don't mind if caches are relatively close, in fact, I've cached in some places where there are several caches within one-quarter mile of each other and it was fine. I'm with Skydiver on this one ... they should be far enough apart so that someone with a crappy GPS can tell he definitely found the one he was looking for and not a different one placed nearby. But, I would think that would be at least 200 feet apart.

[This message was edited by Genius Loci on October 08, 2002 at 12:21 PM.]