Hiding a cache you won't return to

Guest k2dave

Guest k2dave

At least 1 cache I've seen was hidden by a person on vacation. I don't expect he will be back to claim it (and it looks from the posts that it was plundered). So is it ok to hide a cache knowing you will not be able to maintain it? If a regular cache is out how about a single item of some value? What about a site you only visit 2x or so a year?

Guest cache_ninja

some of my caches i will not be able to get back to for a long time. i see nothing wrong with this. if someone reports its plundered/gone, i'll take it down, at least it provided potential pleasure/fun for all the people who visited up until that point. i view all caches as temporary in nature anyway...most people who visit are good about logging the condition of the cache and surrounding area as well, which is helpful...

initially, i traveled around a bit to place caches in areas/states where there were none, in an effort to get more people involved in geocaching(after all, if you heard about geocaching and there were none near you, you might have never looked and/or got hooked). this is no longer necessary. but its always nice to share a special spot you found with other people, and put a cache there, even if you wont be back for awhile.

Guest makaio

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment...the only problem with cn's method is that if the cache does get plundered in a way such that it's former contents are strewn about the area and thus, the cache literally becomes 'litter', it's the placers responsibilty to 'clean up the mess'. If it's a cache placed while on vacation or out of town, it's likely the area will remain littered unless someone local takes it upon themselves to clean it up. Simply archiving the cache posting does not constitute 'removing' a plundered cache. The physical evidence may still exist and won't clean itself up.

Guest Iron Chef

If I found a cache that had been plundered I don't think it rocket science to come to the conclusion to clean it up. Just because I didn't place the cache doesn't mean that I can't help keep it in good condition. If I live close and the owner doesn't, then I would then contact them and ask them if they would like some help making sure that their long distance cache stays in tip-top condition. The way I see it, it is not a really difficult issue. So, essentially I agree with CN.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest mfratto

I agree that a cache *can* become litter, but I agree more with the point that we *all* can assume some responsibility for that not happening, and if we come upon a cache that has been messed up, we can assume responsibility to clean it up, or if it is really a mess, take it down or try to fix it and notify the owner.

I had a cache that had a bad container, and people mentioned trying to dry things off, and keep them safe until I got there with a new container and got it fixed -- that's the kind of effort and community I would expect from geocachers, and have found in my area here in the Northeast.

Also, if only the cache-hider has responsibility for maintaining caches, you really can't place as many -- we have hidden five, and one of ours needed fixing (mentioned above) one of them has apparently been plundered, and we have to find time to get up there and check on it, and the others will have to be taken down in fall. Two of them are easier -- two of them are harder, and one is a multi-cache that includes a canoe trip -- we have about as much time as we can spare to maintain these five -- so with all the occasional hoopla about who places more than they find, etc., even though we tend to find more, caches take money, time, and thought to place, and time and effort to maintain. A little community effort in maintenance maybe means we could place a few more?

Mauri, of Mauri and Mike

Guest k2dave

quote:
A little community effort in maintenance maybe means we could place a few more?

That's my point in asking this. I go traveling throuout the NE where there are no caches and would like to place some but I won't be able to maintain it.

If I were to find a plundered littered cache I would not think twice as to trying to repair it or remove it if unrepairable and contact the owner.

Guest Markwell

I plan on travelling to the Southeast next week to visit my in-laws. I know of some great spots around there that are begging for caches - and most caches around Chattanooga are too difficult for kids right now.

I'm going to have my in-laws check on the caches periodically and even set them up with a watch list.

Here's another solution:

Ask the first person who found the remote cache to be the "adoptive parent." If the finder of the remote cache lives near enough, they could put the cache on the watch list and kind of take over the maintenance. I know I'd be happy to do that for a remote cache set up in my area - as long as I'm not monitoring 20 caches I didn't set up.

Guest cache_ninja

one of my caches _was_ plundered and strewn about, the fisrt person to find this gathered up what was left and stuck it back in the container and posted on the url..since i was close by to that one, i was able to go back there and fix/rehide it..seems to me to be common sense that if you are looking for a cache and come upon it in a plundered state, you gather up what you can and either replant/or remove..i think most people would do this intuitively.

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 16 July 2001).]

Guest makaio

I agree - most people would, and do (including myself) make an effort to reassemble or cleanup a plundered cache. Still one shouldn't depend on others to do this for them and if they are told of a plundered cache should be able to check it for themselves.