POLL: Is it acceptable to log removed cache as found ?

quote:
Originally posted by Mesu:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

If its not about the number of finds, why is this so hard for you?

1. Maybe it would not be so hard, if the cache owner complied with his own rule.

Ok Mesu, just delete my and some other peoples logging of your wet micro cache where me and those other geocachers were unable to write in the logbook because it was so wet. I can find your cache again next week, when i come to Helsinki.

70242_1300.gif

Following has not anything to do with Mesu, but i think this is right thread to discuss about it:

Deleting false founds is sometimes a risky thing to do. Last autumn i did delete two founds of my micro cache, because those people had found wrong container, which was also a film canister, accidentally left by an other geocacher near the original cache (which was in fact stolen.)

But only later i realised that those people who found the wrong container were newbies and it was their first found. I haven't seen them later in geocaching.com so i'm afraid i killed their new hobby just in the beginning icon_frown.gif

70242_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mesu:

I agree with what TKCollective wrote, but caches are different. If one is well hidden, the main task is to find it. In this case the main point of the cache was the five stops, and the problem was not that the cache had been too well hidden.

No, you don't agree, and no, caches aren't different. If the point of the cache was the five stops, it'd be a virtual cache. The point of any cache with a physical container is to find the container. If you didn't find the container (and you couldn't find it, because it wasn't there), then you didn't find the cache.

I relocated the cache on 24th of May and mailed Mesu and asked him to change his false logging, before i send him the new final coordinates. Well, no reply from him so far, so today i finally deleted his logging, copied it to my own note for the same day and sent him the final coordinates. I hope this is over now...

70242_1300.gif

Wow! This is almost as exciting as "Caches near Caves" or "Female Geocachers" or "Panties in the Woods"!!

The specifics notwithstanding, for me the online log is simply a reflection of the physical. If I couldn't sign it, I post a not-found or note as appropriate.

If it's been plundered beyond my repair, I log the "not found", watch the cache and go for it when replaced.

If I'm in doubt, I log a note and enquire of the owner how to proceed.

The very first cache I tried had been erroneously moved, I searched, I returned, I emailed, I returned, I emailed where I thought it should be, the owner emailed pictures of the exact locale, I returned. I emailed three answers to questions from the plaque as if it were a virtual and he encouraged me to log it as a find.

I didn't. Half a year later I returned with a fresh perspective, found the micro in an improper location, logged it physically, logged it as found online and emailed asking if he wanted it returned to it's original location--then replaced it as it had gone missing! (The owners not nearby [grandfathered], but has family who is and now I help maintain it and watch it.)

To me it's simply integrity. If I haven't physically signed a log, I'm going back until I can! If it's been plundered such that there's no point (IE, I've done everything but signed), and the owner suggest I should make it a "find", then I'll do that.

I applaud the cache owner in this case, who bent over backward and really reached out to support the seeker. Kudos!

Enjoy,

Randy