What do you do if a GeoCacher keeps your travel bug?

I suppose there's not much you can do. If the TB actually has the dogtag attached, it's not like he's unaware what it is. Since you know who has it I assume he's logged it as retrieved? If so, maybe he'll eventually get around to replacing it somewhere. How long has it been since he's taken it? I know of some TB's which spent months in someone's possession before being redeployed.

On the other hand, if you're certain he's ignoring you (and not just dealing with some other life issues which make replacing the TB or replying to your email pale in comparison) and you feel vindictive, you could submit his email address to any/all spam mailing lists you can find icon_wink.gif

-

I did some checking and noticed he logged retrieving your TB on 2/18. That is a long time to hold onto a TB. Who knows, maybe he lost it and is afraid to fess up.

I suppose you may just have to chock it up as a loss and start another TB.

-

I had one that got abducted by a non-logging cacher, I tried placing log notes on some of the caches around the area the bug was taken, but this guy doesnt log online or even have a username, I didnt have a way of contacting him. I thought about creating a new cache in the area and see if hw would respond to it since he obviously at least looks at the cache pages, but I decided to just let it go...well after a few months, blammo!! the guy logs it and its back in circulation, just when I thought all was lost!

In your case, At least he logged it, and you have a contact. So keep after it and eventually it will work out, sometimes life gets in the way of geocaching. And dont expect a quiick reply, sometimes it takes a few weeks or longer to get a reply out of some people.

C-Troop

My hitchhiker GIO (a plastic pair of clacking teeth) went from Quebec Canada to the Jura mtns in the Swiss Alps, jumped from the "Wyvern's Weir" to "Shaad's Pirate Cave"(also in the Alps) and sat in that cave for MONTHS cause nobody goes up there in the winter...

Im pleased to report he's now on the move and headed for Holland...so don't give up!

PS you can follow Gio's travels on his home cache page "A Bridge? Too Far!" - Waypoint ID GC5C8B. I'm building a pushpin map in /Streets & Trips to illustrate his travels.

Everywhere you go, there ya be..."

I am one of those people, I seen one of the geocoins from moun10bike was in my area and just had to get it. I planned on moving it to a cache when I was in Indy a month later. I managed to do one cache while I was there and it was a micro cache. (was only cache close enough to hotel as I didnt have my own transportation.) I have given some thought to possibly mailing it to another cacher maybe on the east coast, but think I will just be placing it back in my area soon. Such a long time to hold the coin only to place it a few miles or so away. The coin has traveled with me to Ohio and back then to Indy and back, alot of miles to not go far at all. So look for it to be realeased very soon.

Weezer

Mail it to me and I'll get it into circulation here in the Hudson Valley of New York. We've all heard and seen photo's but no one (that I know of) has seen one.

I'll provide a mailing address if you want to.

KernBob

quote:
Originally posted by weezer:

I am one of those people, I seen one of the geocoins from moun10bike was in my area and just had to get it. I planned on moving it to a cache when I was in Indy a month later. I managed to do one cache while I was there and it was a micro cache. (was only cache close enough to hotel as I didnt have my own transportation.) I have given some thought to possibly mailing it to another cacher maybe on the east coast, but think I will just be placing it back in my area soon. Such a long time to hold the coin only to place it a few miles or so away. The coin has traveled with me to Ohio and back then to Indy and back, alot of miles to not go far at all. So look for it to be realeased very soon.

Weezer

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. -- Shunryu Suzuki

Drive Fast, Take Chances. --(amongst others) Jon Bedford

quote:
Originally posted by weezer:

I managed to do one cache while I was there and it was a micro cache. (was only cache close enough to hotel as I didnt have my own transportation.)

Such a long time to hold the coin only to place it a few miles or so away. The coin has traveled with me to Ohio and back then to Indy and back, alot of miles to not go far at all.

With the permission of Moun10Bike, why not log it into the cache in Indy and then grab it right back out again? After all that would show the miles that it actually travelled, even though it only visited the cache for a very short time.

Markwell

Bac to CaveDiver's topic, it looks to me that the cacher lost it and doesn't know how to tell you, or he placed it in an obscure cache without logging it. The tone of your emails to him will determine how he responds to you. Were you polite? Have you tried explaining that it's OK if it's lost, you just want to know so you can stop trying to track it? I think the chances are slim that he just want's to hold on to it since it's generic.

Keep the faith icon_rolleyes.gif