Donkeys and Elephants and Cache's Oh My

ikobi

I think they would make a cool locationless. I don't have a problem with the number of them or the fact that the timeframe is limited.

All locationless caches are limited in one way or the other. There are only so many covered bridges or active cabooses to log. Once all of the possible objects are logged (or removed) simply archive the cache.

Have fun.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8520

The above cache is archived (the sharks were all auctioned off), so you'll have to be logged in to see how we did it, but in a nutshell....

The organizers had a "Scavenger Hunt" to promote the sharks. Players had to identify by name which shark various clues & riddles represented. Perhaps the DC promoters will consider and plan such an event, because we then "piggybacked" a "multi-virtual" on the scavenger hunt.

We took the original list of questions and worked with the promoter (they were happy for "free advertising" and thought geocaching was kewl, and I took them to visit Kablooey's Dot Com Meltdown cache) to identify the toughest riddles and the most out of the way sharks. Then I ran around downtown San Jose and got the coordinates for each of these sharkes and ammended the Scavenger Hunt Questionnare to include the coordinates for the hard-to-find sharks, thereby giving Geocachers an added advantage. If you check the log on the cache, you'll see that some cachers won some good prizes!

How about one locationless for all the parades of animals, hmmm? Chicago did them a while ago, DC has them; Naperville, Illinois did giraffes last year and are doing carousel horses this year...

Have the cacher be able to log as many parades as they want, but post a picture of (and the coordinates to) their FAVORITE animal in the parade.

I might actually log a locationless like that.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I'm having a discussion with the approver that this cache fell on.

The description of the cache (still pending approval) is that...

quote:
Locationless Cache, but no "padding" of scores here.

This is another locationless cache. The trick: find a "parade of animals" that a city is putting on. Requirements:

• This must be a parade of animals where the local town or city provides basic sculptures that artists embelish with their own talents.

• Choose your own favorite animal from the parade.

• Take it's picture (not necessarily with the GPS).

• Post it's name and coordinates, and any explanation that you feel important.

• You can log multiple "parades", but only one animal per parade.

• You can log a parade that has already been logged by someone else, but it must be of a different animal than they logged.

• Since people have complained that locationless caches "pad" the finder's numbers, only use an "OTHER" not a "FOUND IT". Any "Found It" logs ( icon_smile.gif ) will be deleted.

The coordinates are for Naperville, Illinois. Last year, the United Way sponsored baby giraffes, this year it's carousel horses.

The concern that the approver had was the "permanence" of the exhibits, which is indeed a valid point. Typically, these exhibits are up for a short period of time (the Naperville, IL ones were up for the summer). My counter to that argument is that there are plenty of "temporary" caches out there: event caches, even Traditional Style Temporary Caches.

We'll see what the powers that be decide. I've mentioned to them that I'm not too interested in this cache so much as the idea. I really don't like locationless caches that much - hence the "no found" rule.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I'm having a discussion with the approver that this cache fell on.

The description of the cache (still pending approval) is that...

quote:
Locationless Cache, but no "padding" of scores here.

This is another locationless cache. The trick: find a "parade of animals" that a city is putting on. Requirements:

• This must be a parade of animals where the local town or city provides basic sculptures that artists embelish with their own talents.

• Choose your own favorite animal from the parade.

• Take it's picture (not necessarily with the GPS).

• Post it's name and coordinates, and any explanation that you feel important.

• You can log multiple "parades", but only one animal per parade.

• You can log a parade that has already been logged by someone else, but it must be of a different animal than they logged.

• Since people have complained that locationless caches "pad" the finder's numbers, only use an "OTHER" not a "FOUND IT". Any "Found It" logs ( icon_smile.gif ) will be deleted.

The coordinates are for Naperville, Illinois. Last year, the United Way sponsored baby giraffes, this year it's carousel horses.

The concern that the approver had was the "permanence" of the exhibits, which is indeed a valid point. Typically, these exhibits are up for a short period of time (the Naperville, IL ones were up for the summer). My counter to that argument is that there are plenty of "temporary" caches out there: event caches, even Traditional Style Temporary Caches.

We'll see what the powers that be decide. I've mentioned to them that I'm not too interested in this cache so much as the idea. I really don't like locationless caches that much - hence the "no found" rule.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

My cache, my rules, but the geocaching site now has regulations for caches, especially the locationless variety.

As I said, I'm taking them to task a little on the permanent just for the sake of clarification. But I would appreciate some input on how all y'all feel about "How Permanent is Permanent?" These parades are typically up for the summer months and then gone.

However, people can find these animals all summer and revisit the location that someone would find say, this cow. But now that the cow is gone, the coordinates are no longer valid.

How should we define "permanent" in regards to virtual and locationless caches?

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

How should we define "permanent" in regards to virtual and locationless caches?

In one location for the duration of the cache.

But we also see the occasional "traveling cache," where the cache owner updates the coordinates whenever the cache is relocated. To avoid confusion, perhaps the animal/object could be designated a potential "traveling cache" and the "mystery cache" icon used to denote it from a traditional cache.

I wish I was going to be in the area, because it sounds like it would be a fun cache.

I think that if the thing is going to be around for 60 days or more, it's "permanent" enough to satisfy me. Marking it in the description as "This exhibit will be taken down on " would be very helpful.

At the risk of tying a few threads together, the reduced risk of ticks would be well worth the somewhat less permanent nature of the exhibit.

Shannah icon_smile.gif

I wish I was going to be in the area, because it sounds like it would be a fun cache.

I think that if the thing is going to be around for 60 days or more, it's "permanent" enough to satisfy me. Marking it in the description as "This exhibit will be taken down on " would be very helpful.

At the risk of tying a few threads together, the reduced risk of ticks would be well worth the somewhat less permanent nature of the exhibit.

Shannah icon_smile.gif

I used to think that geocaching was all about hicking and enjoying the outdoors untill those useless virtual caches came out and I just think that people should be hicking for caches and not taking pictures. No offence. Some people might like em but I don't. icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

budsig.jpg

GO SENS GO!!!

I used to think that geocaching was all about hicking and enjoying the outdoors untill those useless virtual caches came out and I just think that people should be hicking for caches and not taking pictures. No offence. Some people might like em but I don't. icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

budsig.jpg

GO SENS GO!!!

You can still hick, ummm, hike to this type of cache. You just are not necessarily in the woods. There are plenty of urban caches around and when you get right down to it, the length of the hike always is dependent on your starting location.

I agree that permanence is a potential issue. Of course, in the great scheme of things, nothing is permanent (as we saw in September). I think the length of time that these items are available will fit a prudent standard, however. We have all hunted regular caches that were 'for a limited time only'. This is pretty much the same thing. We'll have to see what the powers decide.