never been caching

cache cadaver

You can do it with maps and a compass, although it's more difficult. Find some difficulty 1 caches in your area, narrow it down on the maps provided (mapquest etc), print them out along with the cache page and go for it! You'll probably need to use the hints since you don't have a GPSr yet. After you find a few, you'll probably want to make the investment.

Have fun and get out and cache! icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

You can purchase a low end model for under a hundred bucks. That's what I use, and will continue to use until I run across any problems.

I also cheated a couple, myself before I bought mine.

Why not borrow one of your buddy's and hit the trail? I've loaned mine out a time or two.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

Looks like its too late, you're dead already.

LOL!!!!!!!!

I there was one I could have cheated on, but used the GPS for fun anyway and to verify coords since I found it early. It was a spectacular tree that had fallen down in a sizable park in my area and the name of the cache was "Stumpy." Hmmmmm. So, for areas you are familiar with, it is quite possible to do with the Mapquest map.

My wife found her first cache while I was trying to get a fix on the sats. So you do not need a GPSr for all of them. You can get a used GPSr on Ebay if you want to start inexpensivly. I started with a cheap unit, but now I have a mapping unit, laptop, tracking software, and more KRAP than you can shake my expensive hiking stick at. Try it without and when the bug bites you, get a GPSr. Welcome to out game, good luck and safe caching to you

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

Found my first without gps too. Just found my first 4 letterboxes too. Since letterboxing assumes you only have clues and a compass, you might consider that. It is very similar to geocaching but without trading.

I am by no means literate in letterboxing but it seems all yu need to get started is a personal signature stamp and a personal log book. (Click for more info on letterboxing)

I am considering giving letterbox-like clues on all my future caches for those who would prefer the challenge of not using their GPS.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

I wouldn't consider it cheating if you didn't use a GPS. All you need to find a lot of caches is a good look around. You'll see what looks like the best place to hide, or the "out-of-place" pile of rocks and sticks. As for which GPSr to get, compare the features and get the one that you think will suit you best. Most people will swear by the brand they already have.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

@#$%#$@# Magellan Meridian Platinum!

(Actually I am swearing BY it, not AT it.

I like the Meridian Platinum a lot, but it is a near top end unit and runs between 250-300 bucks.

I have used some older units and have been disappointed with their performance in the woods.

I think the active antenna is the biggest advantage. I get full signal strength marks in woods where my (older) Garmin won't even get a fix WITH an external active antenna. I like the magnetic compass, too, when I'm "closing in" on a cache.

If you've got the money and you think you might like the hobby, I would recommend NOT buying a bottom-of-the-line unit.

If you're anything like me (not that that would be a good thing, lol), You'll kick yourself in a few months for wasting the money on the cheapie when you buy the better unit after all.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave