Scarey Weather

The 2 Dogs

From time to time while caching, the weather can turn nasty very quickly and all of a sudden you're out in the open and exposed to the elements. Doesn't stop me snapping some great shots of the approaching storms and lightening though. I have included a couple of pics of a storm that came in while were caching on the coast of Sydney Australia. Would love to see other's pics of bad weather while caching as well.

30092_1100.JPG

30092_1200.JPG

Seeya

I'm not trying to start any flaming here but why is it that people mess up these threads with garbage images when someone is asking for a specific type of photo or subject matter? There was another recent thread asking about types of animal encounters (with some awesome wildlife photos) that also had garbage images added to it. Kind of ruins the purpose of the thread, don't you agree?

Those silly photoshop threads are for the goofy pictures. How about it guys, can you leave the silliness for the silly threads? Thanks.

Some years back, I was at a high lake in the Cascades. It was warm, sunny, and cloudless. All of a sudden, angry black clouds poured over the high ridges and over the lake. Rumbling started and lightning flashed. Ok, bud it's time to get the hell out of here! Literally ran 5.5 miles back to my old truck. I saw several unprepared hikers without raingear or much in the way of first aide if they needed it. I was prepared, but was worried about lightning flowing over the ground. Horrendous storm....thunder was so loud even with my hearing aides off, I could hear them quite loudly. Bolts of lightning everywhere. Saw one fatal wreck on the logging road on way home. Always be prepared!

quote:
There was another recent thread asking about types of animal encounters (with some awesome wildlife photos) that also had garbage images added to it. Kind of ruins the purpose of the thread, don't you agree?

Why do people have to mess up threads with hystericial rants? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a little levity.

Anyway, cool photo. I wish I had some photos like that to share, but when weather like that hits, I'm usually running my butt back to the car. I'm a whimp when it comes to being outdoors when there is lightning in the area.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I support silliness in all times and places.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

I'm not trying to start any flaming here but why is it that people mess up these threads with garbage images when someone is asking for a specific type of photo or subject matter? There was another recent thread asking about types of animal encounters (with some awesome wildlife photos) that also had garbage images added to it. Kind of ruins the purpose of the thread, don't you agree?

Those silly photoshop threads are for the goofy pictures. How about it guys, can you leave the silliness for the silly threads? Thanks.

I was in Colorado Springs in May of 2002 and I went to Pikes Peak. At around 2:00 PM a storm blew in and it was snowing lightly at about 13,000 feet. I wanted to climb around on Devil's Playground, but lightning was hitting way too close so I had to leave. You can see the light snow as white dots and streaks in the photo below. You can see the low clouds too.

344646_400.jpg

When I went back down the mountain the storms kept moving through, but they were not overly severe. I waited out another storm and hiked to Cache Puppy #3. Once I got to the top I saw yet another rain cloud coming so I high-tailed it down the mountain. There was not quite as much lightning with these storms in the late afternoon for whatever reason. It began to rain lightly on the way down and I got to see a rainbow.

The first picture show it lightly with Colorado Springs in the background:

344421_200.jpg

Oddly enough, the other end of the rainbow touchs the mountain right where the cache was located!!!

344421_300.jpg

For one cache, SunValley Surprise, it was raining and we sat in the truck to wait it out. We saw a full triple arch rainbow, very bright and distinct.

We have some spectacular rainbows in Arizona. I've seen plenty of double arches and full double rainbows, but never before have I seen a full triple, especially one so vibrant as that one was. I watched it for about 10 minutes before it faded away.

Scary weather? I had some encounters with lightning, large hail and rain so thick that no one could see the highway driving from Sierra Vista to Tucson. The lightning hit the rail of an overpass just before I drove under the overpass. Sparks everywhere. Quite the adventure.

This picture was taken on the Edge of a large storm that was about to hit Darwin Australia. The City was once completely destroyed by a cyclone, so every storm is monitored very closely and the the people are well prepared.

84475_200.JPG

Check out this cache....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=84475

If you don't have photos of scary weather then your stories/adventures of close or scary encounters with wild/unusual weather will do.

In Australia we do not get tornadoes, but we do get Firestorms. These are far more fierce and frightening than bushfires and burn a whole lot faster. These photos show an appoaching firestorm last summer that burnt out massive areas of bush and destroyed hundreds of homes. The pics show our own home under threat. The fires also destroyed many geocaches.

68089_500.JPG

68089_600.JPG

Help us keep this thread alive.

[This message was edited by The 2 Dogs on August 21, 2003 at 05:26 PM.]

A couple of years ago we were driving east along the Bay of Fundy in the southern part of New Brunswick.

The sun was setting so it was low in the sky directly behind. Rain storms had passed through only minutes before and were advancing in front of us leaving the sky very black ahead and clear behind us. Cars were creating clouds of water vapour from their tires and the heat of the road was almost turning it to steam.

My wife said "Look at the rainbow!" and all of a sudden we were driving through rainbow after rainbow after rainbow arching over the road and only feet wider than the highway itself.

Dozens of rainbows standing out against a pitch black sky made for a truly awe-inspiring site I will never forget!

icon_smile.gif

quote:

Dozens of rainbows standing out against a pitch black sky made for a truly awe-inspiring site I will never forget!

icon_smile.gif

I have some great photos of rainbows lying around the house somewhere, just have to dig them out. One of my favorites is a photo I took of a rainbow with the street sign for "Rainbow Street" in the foreground.

Watch this space.

2 Dogs

I'll be watching.

There really were multiple rainbows visible at one time! As the sun got lower on the horizon the rainbows seemed to rise higher and almost turn into circles. I know optical physics can explain this but it's neater to see it in action.

I think "sun dogs" or the halo around the sun we see here sometimes in the very cold winter (due to ice crystals in the air) may be related to the same phenomon. Anyone know?

I think it's just "Mother" showing off. icon_wink.gif

Dave

This is a firestorm that past through our area on the way to the coast. The fire in the photo is heading towards the small township of Mainbar which is south of Sydney in the Royal National Park. The wind was gale force and we had to drive through some of the fire to get to our home. The heat from the fire would explode trees metres ahead of the actual fire. Now, if your wondering how a cache stands up to such a fire have a look at the ammo box in the photo. Found the box covered with smoldering ashes. The paint was all burnt off the box and the heat had warped the box, the contents either had burnt or melted despite the lid remaining closed.

138979_1000.JPG

138979_400.JPG

138979_500.JPG

[This message was edited by Tangles on August 23, 2003 at 01:59 AM.]

Tangles, I suspect that the term 'firestorm' means a fire that is being blown by wind. If so, our province is in a terrible state of emergency right now with over 800 of them right now, many of them are very, very big.

This fire has burned an entire 98 hectare provincial park and is now going full force, completely uncontainable, towards Kelowna, the largest city in the Okanagan Valley, with a population of 96,000 people. Four hours ago on the 11:00 PM news it was reported that 30,000 people had been evacuated from their homes and houses were burning.

Sure hope it rains.

I'll keep trying to keep this thread alive....

There would be nothing more terrifying to an Australian Geocacher than to be caching in a remote area of the bush and smelling an approaching bushfire. I have been in this positon. These photos give an idea of the fury.

If you have any photos or stories please post.

1200bv34.jpg

1204jd23.jpg

> I think "sun dogs" or the halo around the sun

> we see here sometimes in the very cold winter

> (due to ice crystals in the air) may be

> related to the same phenomon. Anyone know?

You are correct that they are related.

Rainbows are formed by sunlight shining through water droplets and sundogs occur when the light refracts through ice crystals.

Rainbows are seen as you face away from the sun. Sundogs are always seen horizontally just to the right or left of the sun.

A rainbow usually signals an end to the rain, while a sundog often means that rain, or snow is on the way.

89355_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Tangles, I suspect that the term 'firestorm' means a fire that is being blown by wind. If so, our province is in a terrible state of emergency right now with over 800 of them right now, many of them are very, very big.

http://www.silk.fm/silk/firefiles/FirePictures/August%2020/slides/stevedevries.html has burned an entire 98 hectare provincial park and is now going full force, completely uncontainable, towards Kelowna, the largest city in the Okanagan Valley, with a population of 96,000 people. Four hours ago on the 11:00 PM news it was reported that 30,000 people had been evacuated from their homes and houses were burning.

Sure hope it rains.

What does THAT have to do with the original thread?!

Please post a PICTURE of bad weather caching. If we wanted to know about forest fires, we would turn on the news.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by RuffRidr:

The firestorms are being fed by hgh wind, which is a weather phenomenon. That's what it has to do with this thread.

--RuffRidr

Those pictures submitted by The 2 Dogs has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

Jomarac5 rant on the forest fires in his Province have nothing to do with this thread. If he has pictures of them.. WHILE Geocaching.. then he can post them.