Will this work for a 4/4 cache container?

LaPaglia

My son returned today from 4-wheeling to tell me he has found a great location for a cache in an area of colorado where there are not any. From what he tells me (I will ride out next weekend to see for my self) it is remote enough to be placed out in the open. Personaly Im all for digging a hole and putting a 5 gallon plastic bucket in the ground with 6 inches above ground.

Will a resturant grade, 5 gal bucket with a water tight lid work in this cache? Its at about 10,000 ft elv. So I doubt it will get any winter action. The biggest problem I see is that the lids of these buckets are sometimes hard to remove.

Thoughts, Opinions??

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

I used a 5 gallon bucket on one of my caches. I think it really depends on the type of plastic used. Mine ended up with a cracked lid, but I think that was to a frustrated cacher that wasn't willing to read how to open the can. Still I've had tupperware caches surivive under 10 feet of snow without any damage. So it really should work.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I've seen two 5 gal pails buried on private property. One had a cracked lid, the other had a screw on lid that was fine. Unless it's on your own property I wouldn't dig a hole to bury a bucket - it's against the rules.

The best use for these buckets I've seen is too disquise them to look like tree stumps. That way they're not buried, are in plain sight, but are close to invisible.

~erik~

Man, I'd love to do some 10,000 foot ATVing! Our tallest peak is little over a mile and no vehicles of any kind allowed icon_mad.gif

Some brands of those buckets can be a chore to take off! Don't ever tell me I can't get one off though, because I will!

Another alternative is large Ammo box from an Army surplus store. They have some here locally that I'd guess have at least 3 times more volume than a standard 50 cal box, $16 if I remember right.

Keep Earth clean, it's not Uranus.

Maybe you could leave a spare lid under the cache container. I did that with a 1 quart plastic container. The lids on those break pretty easy.

A spare lid would only be a couple of $'s more.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

What part of not burying caches don't these people understand. I haven't looked at the profile, but I guess that either this guy is a troll (and I swallowed) or clueless.

Geez, if we want to keep this sport alive, we really have to educate these bozos.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Digging a hole?

Do the rules say you can't bury/half bury a cache? I'm certian it says you can't without total permission.

You could have just replied to Lapaglia that he would need permission to do that.

BTW, Nice change in avatar, your others were rather "colorful" (In my opinion). Probably mine is getting annoying as well ... hmmm...

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.

There are a string of those half-buried caches around here. A park ranger in a park nearby did a cache in his own park this way. Certainly he gave himself permission, but I tend to think it was a bad idea.

Several people commented on the clever hiding technique (including me, in my early geocaching career--groan) and it's been copied twice.

So far I've not said anything, but I wonder if these caches are a good idea. The hunters don't do any digging, but there is most definately a hole in the ground.

Jamie

Since when is permission to bury a cach required? It is pretty much frowned upon by Jeremy, et. al. OK, if your cache is on a beach, then I don't see much of a problem burying a cache in the sand. But taking a shovel into the wilds of Colorado and digging a hole big enough to hide most of a 5 gallon bucket? C'mon, that's really freakin' dumb. No wonder we're having such a hard time with the authorities about allowing our sport on public lands.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

It just says on the how to place a cache page to get permission, that's all I was going by. I'm assuming Jeremy had some input on that page.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, especially full burial. But I don't think wrapping a cache in a garbage bag is a good idea either, and there is no rule against that. To each his own...

I'm also pretty sure there are laws pertaining to digging holes without permission as well, several metal detector toting treasure hunters have mentioned to me there was, maybe someone here knows the details.

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.

There are rules and one of them is from this page.

quote:
Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.
. Sounds like this would go for a half buried cache as well.

Lapaglia may have been about to make a mistake, but we shouldnt jump, call out names or criticize him for this. Some simple advice would have probably sufficed nicely. I had read the "hiding" rules a few months ago, but heck if i remember all of them!

quote:
Digging a hole?

What part of not burying caches don't these people understand. I haven't looked at the profile, but I guess that either this guy is a troll (and I swallowed) or clueless.

Geez, if we want to keep this sport alive, we really have to educate these bozos.

If I had all the answers I wouldn't ask the questions. Last time I checked I had let my Bozo card expire so I must be clueless. either that or I have enough of a clue to ask those that know better than I. Nice to see the spirt of Geocaching extends into the forums.

quote:
He's not a troll, but he's only found one cache, recently, so far.

True, I have only found one, and hid one. Your point?

quote:
5 gal pails

I've seen two 5 gal pails buried on private property. One had a cracked lid, the other had a screw on lid that was fine. Unless it's on your own property I wouldn't dig a hole to bury a bucket - it's against the rules.

The best use for these buckets I've seen is too disquise them to look like tree stumps. That way they're not buried, are in plain sight, but are close to invisible.

~erik~

Thank you erik this is the type of answer I was looking for.

quote:
Since when is permission to bury a cach required? It is pretty much frowned upon by Jeremy, et. al. OK, if your cache is on a beach, then I don't see much of a problem burying a cache in the sand. But taking a shovel into the wilds of Colorado and digging a hole big enough to hide most of a 5 gallon bucket? C'mon, that's really freakin' dumb. No wonder we're having such a hard time with the authorities about allowing our sport on public lands.

Since when is land I own considered public?

quote:
There are rules and one of them is from this page.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. Sounds like this would go for a half buried cache as well.

Lapaglia may have been about to make a mistake, but we shouldnt jump, call out names or criticize him for this. Some simple advice would have probably sufficed nicely. I had read the "hiding" rules a few months ago, but heck if i remember all of them!

Thanks Mudfrog, another example of why I asked the question here.

So its agreeded: icon_biggrin.gif

1. Im not a Bozo. But my avatar loks like one.

2. I do have a clue altho its probably a small one

3. I wont bury it at all, not even a little bit.

4. I apologize if my question caused anyone stress or discomfort.

Thanks to all who replyed. I enjoyed all the input and took it in the spirit it was given.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Calling anyone a troll isn't the spirit of cooperation that we want around here. I didn't study every single link on this site before I got started. He came here to ask questions, not to get jumped on.

Everyone has a starting point. Just because you started before someone else doesn't give you a right to look down at someone.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I missed that page as well Mud Frog, I guess it somewhat clashes with the statement on this page: Guide to Creating and Hiding a Cache.

Your page also states there are exceptions. I'd doubt they'd have trouble with a cache on one's own property or in the middle of nowhere with proof of permission.

quote:
Since when is land I own considered public?

That changes things. If you own this land, then you're free to bury it with a backhoe if you want.

I'd just make sure you mention the fact that it is your land when you post the cache page, so it isn't rejected because it is buried.

Since it is your land, I retract the Bozo remark.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Must you ALWAYS talk crap about your fellow geocachers? Can't you just be helpful with your "wise knowlege"? I couldn't help but post here and after looking at ALL of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that you rarely have anything nice to say to anyone. Oh, that's right, I forgot! You were born in Jersey; that explains everything! LOLOLOL Geez, you don't have to call other members names like that! icon_frown.gif

Well, Lapaglia, I was born in New York and I am pretty cool people and I think your idea is great! We just came back from Colorado ON VACATION ( Springs & Pueblo West ) and I know exactly what you are saying. That is how they hide some of them out there; it's all desert and dirt roads! Burying it half way or uncovered by dirt in the ground would be ideal. Even Eric's idea sounds great! The west does not have the trees that the east has.

Your post was doing fine, with alot of helpful people willing to give you their opinion. Until Snat had to put his abusive two cents in. icon_eek.gif

Too bad I wasn't still there; I'd go find it! icon_cool.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

P.S. We managed to hide one while we were there in Pueblo West; Snat doesn't like that idea either! Shhhhhhhh! icon_razz.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Once again I have to question who is being rude, it seems that upinyachit can be counted on to make sure that the first line of their post involves some attempt at defaming someones personality. Then gleefully stating an opinion that ignores the few establish guidelines that Geocaching has. That would be not burying caches.

It seems that anyone who has as a differing opinion with you is some sort of idiot/moron/putz. And if you read the posts with a little more care Snat retracted his statement.

In the future try making your point without having to slam someone, maybe you'll be more credible. Try agruing with facts not emotional, anecdotal comments.

[This message was edited by magellan315 on August 28, 2002 at 03:13 PM.]

I see plenty of name calling, righteous finger waving and disparagement from these "pretty cool people". Emotions can influence, but try not to let them steer.

In response to the issue of the lids cracking, I'd bet that UV rays have alot to do with corrupting the integrity of the plastic. Perhaps painting them would help reduce this effect. That, or somehow shading the lid.

Granted, temperature fluctuations undoubtedly have a greater effect (that and bears), but you might be able to control UV degredation.

Keep us posted.

It's a game folks..........

Go to: https://secure.armysurpluswarehouse.com/categoryDetail.cfm?catagory=Ammo%20Cans%2F%20Containers&start=16

scroll down to the "wooden box", I used one of these for my son's first hide. Not waterproof though. It's not very tall and if painted to match the terrain will be difficult to spot even without digging a hole. There are some other options on this site as well.

If you really want to use the bucket you already have, use your best judgment (about digging) and just go ahead and do it. If some nitwit rats you out, so be it.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

If the shoe fits, guess I should wear it.

Brian, No your not a total jerk, what you are is someone who is passionate about their sport. I can't fault you for that!

I really didnt get that upset once I though about it. Its no biggie to me, so it should be no biggie to anyone else.

Give it a rest people. We need people who are passionate in this sport. I would rather have 10 people who cared enough about the future of Geocaching to say what they feel, than have 50 people who just sat back and went along for the ride.

Magellan, IrvingDog, Criminal and BrianSnat, you guys are the life blood of sports like these. Even when you dont agree with others you still defend the sport with your views.

"Show me a Business that has no creative people and I'll show you a company where everyone gets along"

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

I found a cache (I Lost My Marbles in the Forest!) that was a 5 gallon. It's over a year old and in great condition too

Any plastic under the ground will be protected from the UV. The trick is to protect the top so the plastic won't break down (as quickly). Remember that a crack will turn the cap into a funnel and then you'll drown a Travel Bug.

Good luck from a beginner,

Green Achers

A closed mouth gathers no feet!

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Any plastic under the ground will be protected from the UV.

Ah, but not from frost. A frozen plastic pcv style bucket in the ground (where the winters are harsh) will likely crack at some point. I still think ammo boxes or even decent Rubbermaid containers work well. Tupperware breaks too easily under normal use conditions (like in the kitchen), let alone out in the bush.

The cache I found was in the snow level but this is CA and lets face it, we don't have it as bad as CO. If water can collect in the hole, it can crush the container from freezing. I'm not sure how deep a person would need to dig to get the warmth from the earth (>32*f) but if the cache is covered (like with wood and some leafs) it would survive better... and Best yet if it's over here.

One more thought, one dud is making "tree stumps" out of buckets. (Great idea) If ice is your problem, I'm guessing that fake stump is sprayed with insulation foam (for your house) and then painted. Insulating foam keeps the ice away and the paint seals the foam... or will this sponge up water and then freeze it?

Bill of Green Achers

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

In all honesty if your going to place a cache with 4 rated terrain, the number of visits will be low. I'd reccommend that you use an ammo can, just make sure to repaint it. I have cache that is about a year old and depsite the heat, humidity, and daily thunderstorms in the summer. The log book is still in great shape, despite all of this. There is another ammo can cache in the area that is submerged every summer for about two months when the water table rises. Contents are just fine.