Get rid of the "rolling eyes"

seneca

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

I hate the frogs. Personally, I think they're stupid and I refuse to use them. They all look the same.

back.gifbad_boy_a.gifbig_smile.gifcute.gifmad.gifohh.gifsad.gifshock.gifsmile.gifsurprise.giftired.giftongue.gif

The same?icon_confused.gif I hope you're not an aircraft pilot or something like that... 'Gee..these buttons look all the same to me!'icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Then there are some of us who has yet to master the building of emoticons ina lucid format.

Can someone with at least guru level explain the formative processes that causes these to be so?

left bracket, colon, capital D, right bracket ===> would equal this [icon_biggrin.gif] I have discovered but what of the others?

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Divine wrote:

I hope you're not an aircraft pilot or something like that...

I've never been in an airplane that had frogs on the dash. Nor would I want to be.

You can like the frogs if you like. Heck, you could print them out and wallpaper your bathroom with them for all I care. But you'll never convince me that they're a good thing.

I don't like them. I don't like them at all.

I'll stick with icon_rolleyes.gif, thank you very much.

Amishangel, I'll tell you how to add the emoticons but you've got to promise not to use the frogs.

In the pop-up window that you enter your forum posts in, there are a bunch of buttons just above the text entry box.

Click on the happy face button and a menu will drop down with a selection of emoticons.

Select the one that you want to use by clicking on it and the code will appear in your page where the cursor is.

It's that simple. Just don't use those frog emoticons -- they're evil.

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

There was no place to vote "this is the silliest thread I ever read" So I voted for B.

Planet

I think that this is a "general attack" on my "idea", which is now prohibited under the new forum guidelines. You had better be more specific, Planet, or the forum police will get you! icon_redface.gif

Planet, I am afraid that Seneca is right. You made a pretty general statement there, and Seneca's delicate sensitivities were offended. You really do need to make a specific attack. May I suggest the following:
quote:
There was no place to vote "this is the silliest thread I ever read" So I voted for B, because I have read 4,238 forum threads, and in my opinion, this one is the silliest.
See the difference? I hope everything is clear now.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was no place to vote "this is the silliest thread I ever read" So I voted for B, because I have read 4,238 forum threads, and in my opinion, this one is the silliest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! I'm glad you are one of the moderators Keystone!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Planet, I am afraid that Seneca is right. You made a pretty general statement there, and Seneca's delicate sensitivities were offended. You really do need to make a _specific_ attack. May I suggest the following:

quote:

Keystone Approver, I am afraid that your example is still a "general attack" - the only difference being is that it is now bolstered by setting out the qualifications of the attacker. A more specific attack would be:

quote:
It is well known that emoticons are always intended to be used in a humorous, friendly manner, and accordingly, in my opinion, a thread that seriously takes offence to a happy face with rolling eyes, is one of the silliest threads that I have ever seen, particularly when it has nothing to do with geocaching.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

(edited for correction of spelling errors only)

[This message was edited by seneca on September 18, 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

Since the topic originator has articulately and specifically criticized the basis for his own thread, I suppose I ought to close it?

No, wait... he was just showing me how to do my job by illustrating the flaws of my alleged "specific attack" language. Seneca is right. I am self-moderating Keystone Approver. No posts for two hours.

Will self-moderating make me go blind???

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

Thank you Keystone. To be specific, this was the silliest thread I read ever yesterday. See after a few days, even hours, go by I forget what threads I've read. So of all the general forum threads that I can remember reading in the past oh say, 3 weeks, this one is by far the silliest. Even sillier though is that I was looking for some other icon to post with, perhaps an inch tall rolleyes, and found some very naughty ones, and was being goaded to post them by some folks we know, but I couldn't because it wasn't polite, so someone suggested posting something pithy at 10PM, and that was as pithed off as I could get at that hour. Sorry for being so obtuse. icon_rolleyes.gif

Planet

The frogs : bad_boy_a.gif remind me of the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

As for the rolling eyes, as most said already, I dont find offensive, just more of a My gawd, I can't believe he/she said/did that type of attitude.

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/53636_300.jpg

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

_"Freedom is a two-way street."_

GDAE, Dave

Ugh. The only time I ever threw the first punch at someone was when they made that L thing. I hate that. (There was no second punch.)

icon_rolleyes.gif

Violence! The ultimate argument.

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave

quote:

Violence! The ultimate argument.

Aside from ending fascism, totalitarianism, and communism, VIOLENCE HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!

And you're right, slapping an L shape to your head-that's a good argument. icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Bull Moose on September 18, 2003 at 11:01 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

Are you saying your sudden, uncustomary movement caused your blood pressure to elevate precipitously, and you fainted? icon_rolleyes.gif

Ha. I doubt at that point in my life my b.p. ever pushed past 120/80.

I was going to see how much movement you did - how many 4 or 5 star terrain caches you've bagged, but seeing as how you have your stats hidden...

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Ha. I doubt at that point in my life my b.p. ever pushed past 120/80.

I am very glad to learn that at that point of your life you were the very picture of good health; the point of the post was that in forums such as these, the odds are pretty darn good that the person claiming to be "Charles Atlas" is actually the proverbial "98 lb weakling." icon_rolleyes.gif

I think some of the little critters in Windows Messenger are too cool. Is there a way to use them here? Anyone else using Windows Messenger?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

I am very glad to learn that at that point of your life you were the very picture of good health; the point of the post was that in forums such as these, the odds are pretty darn good that the person claiming to be "Charles Atlas" is actually the proverbial "98 lb weakling." icon_rolleyes.gif

Well at THIS point, I could stand to lose 98 lbs. icon_biggrin.gif

Clearpath, thanks for the reminder just how funny Marty Feldman was. I wonder how many posters here even recognized him, although with the amount of wit tossed about in here I bet more than the average population sample.

Warning: Direct attack ahead:

As to the original post(er)of this thread: icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

shesh! you call yourself thick skinned; I think you are not only a member of the thinskin club of America, but you're the president. icon_biggrin.gifbad_boy_a.gif

Makes me wonder of a question I asked in here a while back-does 'troll' refer to the creature under a bridge or the act of pulling bait behind a slow moving boat? tongue.gif

And to add one more thought, Jomarac5 wrote:

quote:
I hate the frogs. Personally, I think they're stupid and I refuse to use them. They all look the same. If you use them, don't expect me to know what each of them mean

Yea, I agree. I just thought I'd be openminded and try a few here. I raised an objection to the original frog a while back and just got three lines of them in response (from TPTB#1!)

But I'm thick skinned-I just laughed it off and went out to actually find a few caches. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

[This message was edited by wimseyguy on September 19, 2003 at 01:23 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Am I the only one that finds the following emoticon rather insulting? “ icon_rolleyes.gif ”. Whenever I see this symbol, I interpret it as a condescending, sneering, _“Oh brother, what an idiot, here we go again”_

Hmmmm... condescending like the play you posted about me on another thread?? I figured you'd be a big fan of the rolling eyes.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Me and you and a dog named Boo...

quote:

GDAE, Dave

Bwahahaha! I almost pissed myself when I saw this pic. What are you trying to say? Loser? Umm, try using your other hand to make a 'L', or at least Photoshop the pic so it looks right! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry but I just had to say something, and I can't keep myself from laughing at people that make this mistake in public either.

Oh yes, the rolling eyes, let's keep em' and get rid of polls. icon_razz.gif

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by Czarniecki314:

Hmmmm... condescending like the play you posted about me on another thread?? I figured you'd be a big fan of the rolling eyes.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Me and you and a dog named Boo...

Czarniecki314

That previous post you referred to was honestly intended to be just a bit of fun - but I do agree, it did have a mocking tone to it, and I apologize if you were offended. There can be a fine line between playful fun and hurtful mocking, and maybe I crossed it. Perhaps posts like that one, is one of the reasons why the new forum posting policy is in place. I can assure you, when I posted that one, my eyes were not rolling (in fact I was just giggling). Also, at no time did I ever say that I am never rude. I am glad however, that rude behaviour is now being moderated. Now, from your answer, is it fair to presume that you agree with me, tha the "rolling eyes" is generally a rude gesture?

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by FarSideX:

quote:

GDAE, Dave

Bwahahaha! I almost pissed myself when I saw this pic. What are you trying to say? Loser? Umm, try using your other hand to make a 'L', or at least Photoshop the pic so it looks right! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry but I just had to say something, and I can't keep myself from laughing at people that make this mistake in public either.

Oh yes, the rolling eyes, let's keep em' and get rid of polls. icon_razz.gif

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.

Other hand is to focus the stupid camera. Duh!

BTW how about banning "DUH!"

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave