Get rid of the "rolling eyes"

seneca

Am I the only one that finds the following emoticon rather insulting? “ icon_rolleyes.gif ”. Whenever I see this symbol, I interpret it as a condescending, sneering, “Oh brother, what an idiot, here we go again” gesture. I cannot recall ever using this little gremlin, and I apologize if I ever have. In normal, polite conversation, I would never actually roll my eyes at the person I am talking to (although I might feel like doing so). I do admit that it is a gesture often given to me by my teenage daughters - but heh - they’re teenage daughters, right!?

In view of the newly stated written forum posting policy, I think the “ icon_rolleyes.gif” emoticon should be eliminated. Accordingly I have made the following poll to see if there is any support for my position.

(I do anticipate that some of you will be compelled to respond with a icon_rolleyes.gif, so here is my laughter in advance icon_biggrin.gif.)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

[This message was edited by seneca on September 17, 2003 at 05:33 PM.]

I don't think we should get rid of the "rolling icon_rolleyes.gif eyes" emoticon. I understand where your coming from seneca, but I think sometimes the emoticon is appropriate. It was use against me once, but I deserved it.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

Actually I think we should keep the rolling eyes but that the moderators should lock any thread where it has been used. It's clearly an insult and intended to be an attack against whomever it was directed at and totally inappropriate in the forums. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

I think we should ban sports, because it creats winners and losers.

I disagree. I strongly support competitive sport. However, I have never met a "good sport" who has used a "icon_rolleyes.gif", as he or she can rely on their own abilities, rather than a sneer.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

Ding Ding Ding

Team Shibby wins!!

Typically when I use the icon_rolleyes.gif icon is when I say something dumb or did something dumb as to make fun of myself.

I like it on that note but can see how it can be a negative and also have to say that if its just the rolleyes then I would be surprised because there is usually some unnecessary text to follow.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

I'm hoping this is a joke. If you're really insulted by icon_rolleyes.gif - then you've got to go ballistic when you see a icon_eek.gif

Do you find 'yield' signs offensive when you're driving? (since they dictate subservience?).

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

you've got to go ballistic when you see a icon_eek.gif

Oh no! icon_eek.gif I love that little guy - he is used almost exlusively in humorous conversation. I also can see how icon_rolleyes.gif can be used in an amusing self-deprecating manner as some have suggested. And to be quite honest, I am usually more bothered by icon_rolleyes.gif when I see it used against others, than against myself. I am trained to have a thick skin, and when its used against me, I generally accept it as a sign that I am winning the debate. But nonetheless, I do find it generally used as an offensive, inappropriate gesture.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

delete.jpg

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

There was no place to vote "this is the silliest thread I ever read" So I voted for B.

Planet

I think that this is a "general attack" on my "idea", which is now prohibited under the new forum guidelines. You had better be more specific, Planet, or the forum police will get you! icon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoNightmare:

Looking up I don't see a problem with that . Like looking the person above them. Hey I just look it up and it is under my INNOCENT LABEL

I'm confused icon_confused.gif...maybe I had too many Red Dogs.

logo_small.jpg

I always thought it just looked like someone wearing glasses. So I've used it to represent my son, Adrian (see AdrianL user id).

Looking at the smileys, I see that a bunch of cool ones (like the dead guy) aren't there and now we have a bunch of frogs. I can't figure out what in the heck those frogs are doing at my screen resolution! They're probably all flipping me off!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

I always thought it just looked like someone wearing glasses. So I've used it to represent my son, Adrian (see AdrianL user id).

Looking at the smileys, I see that a bunch of cool ones (like the dead guy) aren't there and now we have a bunch of frogs. I can't figure out what in the heck those frogs are doing at my screen resolution! They're probably all flipping me off!

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Personally, I think the frogs are pretty lame. They all look too similar to me too.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by GeoFool:

Personally, I think the frogs are pretty lame. They all look too similar to me too.

Frogs remind me of France. blech icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe they're French Frogs. surprise.gif

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

This thread has nothing to do with geocaching. You're all off-topic.

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

Ooops...your right, sorry seneca.

logo_small.jpg

OK, since I have been accused of being redundant and not completely reading threads, I will admit right off that I went straight to my reply here without reading!

I voted "I do not agree" because forums are not the same as real life conversation. Would it be rude to roll your eyes at a person in conversation? Yes, and I wouldn't do it (at least not to the person's face). In forums, I use it for several reasons: (1) To recognize when a person is being sarcastic and I have a sarcastic reply where the emoticon illustrates it more; (2) to illustrate further (in case words didn't get it accros) my disbelief of what the person I'm responding to said, and; (3) to make fun of myself for a silly comment, either in my original or reply.

Anyway, I bet there are other times I've used it, but those are the key ones. It is hard to remember when I used it, but I do know that once was in response to a post by my own mother!!!! I guess I emulated the teenage daughter thing there! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Carleenp - well reasoned responses are not fair! I am considering changing my vote. (btw - did you imagine yourself doing a little click with your tongue when you rolled your eyes at your mother? - that's how my kids do it!)

quote:
Carleenp - well reasoned responses are not fair!

Well of course they are! icon_rolleyes.gif But you saw this coming didn't you?!?!?! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
btw - did you imagine yourself doing a little click with your tongue when you rolled your eyes at your mother?

Nope, I just rolled my eyes, both in real life and in my reply. But I could see how the tongue click could add emphasis. I might try that the next time I roll my eyes at Mom in real life (yes, despite what I said earlier about it being rude, children and parents have different rules). Be ready Mom if you are reading!!!!! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Is sarcasm allowed under the new rules?

I hope so! Sarcasm is fun (even though I am not all that good at dishing it out, I enjoy reading it)! I have now read the whole thread and my wanted response is to put the rolls eyes emoticon in, but it would only be in response to some and not all people. So I won't do it!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Strange, I never thought of the 'rolling eyes' in that way until you brought it up. From day one, I'd always interpreted that emoticon as being like a shy little kid, whose eyes look up and all around when he doesn't know what to do or say. Frankly, I think he's cute.

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

quote:
I'm hoping this is a joke. If you're really insulted by icon_rolleyes.gif then you've got to go ballistic when you see a icon_eek.gif

Neither are offensive. Both can be used in a plethora of gestures ranging from insult to tongue-in-cheek sarcasm.

I would like to see a coupla frogs that could do this: icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**