Geotrivia

Attila

I've asked this question to many people, including a Geography teacher, and have stumped them all. So, lets see who can get it. RULE: this is not open book - just what you already have learned - it's more fun that way.

Which states (of the 50 United States of America) are the furthest east, west, north, and south?

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Whidbey Walk: 100% icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Since the Alutian Islands span 180* E/W, Alaska is the farthest west AND east. It is also the farthest north. Hawaii is the most south (Key West is most southern of the continental 48).

[This message was edited by Attila on June 13, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Whidbey Walk: 100% icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Since the Alutian Islands span 180* E/W, Alaska is the farthest west AND east. It is also the farthest north. Hawaii is the most south (Key West is most southern of the continental 48).

[This message was edited by Attila on June 13, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

I have had this question asked to me before. If you are talking about ALL us states, Alaska is the one that fits most of the bill. It resides over the 180° meridian of longitude so it puts some of the Aleutian island chain into the eastern hemisphere. I have won many bets over that info. Brings back old memories. Hawaii is the farthest south.

Now what about the lower contiguous (aka. Lower 48) states???

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

Attila,

I don't know about the rest, but I can already tell you your Northern state is incorrect.

I've repeatedly made plans to make a trip to the northernmost point of the contiguous states, but I've yet to do so, although I know precisely where it is.

Here's a hint. You can't get there in a car without international travel.

Jamie

To stir the pot I have to disagree with the original question and answer.

" Which states (of the 50 United States of America) are the furthest east, west, north, and south? "

The way the question is worded I would interpret it as a relative and not absolute measurement, i.e. furthest east relative to the whole block of the US, as opposed to the Null meridian which goes through Greenwich. And as such the furthest east from the commonly accepted land mass of the US is Maine. Of course you could pick some other arbitrary Null meridian such as the one that goes through Washington and then the further east and west becomes DC as well as a bunch of other States.

I realize I am being difficult here, but I think there are two right answers, depending on whether you interpret east and west as relative or absolute. (Just trying to see the problem from a different angle.) Luckily with north and south there is no such issue.

Why, when looking into a mirror, are left and right reversed, but up and down are not?

Being a person who stares at hardcopy and digital maps of Ontario all day - and having recently updated our data for First Nations Lands of Ontario - I'm pretty sure that the most northerly point of the lower 48 States is Northwest Angle of Lake of the Woods, Minnesota. At that point the International Boundary goes south to the 49th parallel. The point of land is cut off from the rest of Minnesota and can only be accessed by boat, or by crossing the International Boundary twice.

-Donna G.

ns-flag1s.gif

- "The Home of Our Hearts"

Chloew got me. I DOES depend on the proper definition. But I still think my way is funner.:rolleyes:

As far as the Northern most 48, I remember reading something about that spot and thinking how cool it would be to see it. Alzheimers is setting in.

Chloew got me. I DOES depend on the proper definition. But I still think my way is funner.icon_wink.gif

As far as the Northern most 48, I remember reading something about that spot and thinking how cool it would be to see it. Alzheimers is setting in.

quote:
Originally posted by DonnaG:

Being a person who stares at hardcopy and digital maps of Ontario all day - and having recently updated our data for First Nations Lands of Ontario - I'm pretty sure that the most northerly point of the lower 48 States is Northwest Angle of Lake of the Woods, Minnesota. At that point the International Boundary goes south to the 49th parallel. The point of land is cut off from the rest of Minnesota and can only be accessed by boat, or by crossing the International Boundary twice.

-Donna G.

http://www.multimediapalace.com/flags-ca/ns-flag1s.gif

- "The Home of Our Hearts"

The same can be said for Point Roberts, Washington. You either have to go by boat or go to Canada first. I wonder if there are other places like that as well?

The northernmost state in the continental US is Minnesota. Look for the Angle Inlet.

As for the longest great circle segment, I read about it once but no longer have the book. It came up in reference to a map projection invented by R. Buckminster Fuller. I think it started in the Pacific then dipped down under either South America or Australia/New Zealand and went back north. Either way, it was long.

rdw

Has anyone ever been to or near to any of these extreme points of the US (all 50 or lower 48), or of another country for that matter?

My story:

In the summer on vacations to Maine I have sailed past (about a 1/2 mile offshore) the most eastern point in the continental US, Quoddy Head in Maine.