Geocaching growth puts Moores Law to shame!

Guest Paulwhy

Have you heard of Moores law? Gordon Moore, the head of Intel (the computer chip company), said many years ago that the number of transistors on a computer chip will double every 18 months. icon_smile.gif This has held true for many years. This is why a year and a half after you buy a computer, you can buy one twice as good for the same amount of money. icon_frown.gif

I was looking at Mount10bikes statistics (way cool.gif cool)(http://www.switchbacks.com/geocaching2.html) and noticed something, uh, well, ...amazing.

The number of geocaches worldwide has been doubling every 1 to 2 months! Check it out:

We reached: - In:

125 Caches - Oct 2000

250 Caches - Dec 2000

500 Caches - Jan 2001

1000 Caches - Mar 2001

2000 Caches - May 2001

4000 Caches - July 2001

8000 Caches - Sept 2001 perhaps?

This means we will reach 10,000 next month (October), 100,000 in March or April next Year (2002), and 1,000,000 next Fall (2002)!

Hold on to your hats fellow geocachers, this is an E-ticket ride!

What can we learn from this?

PaulWhy

[This message has been edited by Paulwhy (edited 14 September 2001).]

Guest CaptHawke

ze="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by Paulwhy:

What can we learn from this?

Invest in Garmin & Magellan?

And maybe Everyready, Duracell & Rayovac, too.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford NH

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 14 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by Paulwhy:

Hold on to your hats fellow geocachers, this is an E-ticket ride!

So long as it's not a dot.bomb ride (in the going belly-up sense, not the exploding sense)

Guest Moun10Bike

I don't know if it's due to the tragedy this week, or the fact that summer is winding down and a lot of people are back in school (or both), but the curve is really flattening out this week (you can't see it in the chart on the web site, but I see it in the spreadsheet as I'm updating). We'll need a big weekend to keep the momentum up for this week.

Incidentally, today is the 500th day of geocaching (taking May 5, 2000 as day 1).

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/88F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

I've noticed a significant (half) reduction in traffic this week. I think many people are still in shock and aren't doing much on the web except refreshing the news sites. I have noticed that we're steadily rising in visits. However, I expect us all to get "back to normal" (whatever that means) in the next couple of weeks.

Jeremy

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by jonser:

Interesting facts. Im surprised at the people who are in their 20's and 30's that do it.

geocache I mean.

jonser

Many of us have spent so much time in front of computers, that it's a truly refreshing change-o-pace. cool.gif

I was explaining all this to a non-geocaching woman I know, feelish a little sheepish that so much of my time is spent finding and hiding what are essentualy big plastic Easter eggs.

*SHE* defended the hobby stating that one of the biggest problems with hiking is that there isn't a point to it.

Geocaching provides the point

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I've noticed a significant (half) reduction in traffic this week. I think many people are still in shock and aren't doing much on the web except refreshing the news sites. I have noticed that we're steadily rising in visits. However, I expect us all to get "back to normal" (whatever that means) in the next couple of weeks.

Jeremy

I agree. I haven't had the heart for caching or dashing this week myself. However we decided today that diversion (especially mindless? lol tongue.gif ) was exactly what we needed. I think we will see more patriotic items in caches, and little changes like tha, but I also think we will need something to do other than pray, mourn and watch CNN.

mav

"God Bless America, Land That I Love"