Cane Shields (Or Stick Medallions)

jollybgood

When I lived in Germany I used to collect these little metal cane shields that you nailed to your walking stick. They gave them out at Volksmarches and sold them at nearly every train station -- sort of the European take on U.S. State decals and shot glasses sold here.

Recently I logged a cache in a local park in Illinois and picked up a brochure. I was surprised to find that they are selling Cane Shields with the name of the park.

This got me thinking -- it would be nice to have some cane shields made in the same manner as GeoCoins. Find a challenging cache and recieve a cane shield to affix to your walking stick.

I know the ones I have from Germany were made of tin and often hand painted. Many of the designs are identical with only the name of the town or attraction being different.

Does anyone know if there's a business that will take your design and make these shields the same way some sites make wooden nickels or geo coins?

Might be an interesting signature item.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."