Getting scratches out of GPS screen

lackdog

Well I dunno about the rest of you but I really use the crap out of my GPS. From caching to traveling to using when I got ATV'ing. Well ATV'ing with my GPS has taken its toll on my screen a bit with a few minor scratches. You can't even see the scratches when the backlight is on, but when it's off you can. Esp. the big one in the middle. Ohh by the way my GPS is a Garmin GPS V. I called Garmin to see if I could get a replacement screen and they said they don't just sell that they only sell the entire case for 150.00 bucks...!!!!! The garmin guy said try some sort of scratch remover, but I don't wanna try it and scratch it more. I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever used a scratch remover or know of a way to get scratches off the screen. Any help is appreciated.

My first hobby is reef tanks. From a variety of small tanks to huge plexiglass tanks, scratches are always a problem on an expensive reef display. There are some two-compound scratch removers which are usually available at any good aquarium store, if you have some to check out in your area. Not something most of us would think of, but I've got a doozy from a sand-grain scratch on our huge corner tank... Unfortunately it's on the inside of the tank. icon_eek.gif You might want to consider something along those lines. If you didn't get enough suggestions already, email me and I'll dig up the name of a really good removal/buffing compound that's good enough for show-tanks. icon_smile.gif

BTW, great tip with the brasso. Man, I remember using my SHARE of that stuff in basic training. Maybe that's why I haven't touched the stuff in almost 20 years! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I'll see if I can't pick some of that up for some scratches in my watch crystal.

Grandmaster Cache

I know its too late for you, but to protect my screen, I use the plastic protectors meant for PDA screens and I use a razor to cut it to fit my GPS screen. Works great and will last several months before you have to replace it.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I use the plastic protectors meant for PDA screens and I use a razor to cut it to fit my GPS screen.

Too expensive, too wasteful, and too much hassle when you consider how cheap the precut ones from StrongEngineering.com.

I'll second the recommendation for the Bstrong screen protectors. Not only are they cheaper than cutting down PDA protectors, and more convenient, they're tougher, easier to apply, and best of all, don't diminish the sharpness and contrast of the display.

Great stuff.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I use that clear plastic that makes you swear while you try to remove it from off that gagget you purchased. You know the stuff that takes a chain saw to get off if you are in a hurry. Cut a small piece and tape it over your GPSr and digital camera displays. Toss it and replace once a year or so... I have NO scratches in my screens. because of this practice.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

Before I changed to glass lens' in my eyeglasses, I had plastic ones, really scratched plastic ones. I got a couple of more weeks out of them by using liquid furniture polish. It filled in the scratches and when buffed out, worked very well. Just use unscented, and definately not aresol. Worked for me, then I would put on the strongengineering covers, I have them for all of my GPSr's, work great.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
(PDA screen protectors are)Too expensive, too wasteful, and too much hassle when you consider how cheap the precut ones from StrongEngineering.com.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out the website and it looks like a great idea. For those of you who already have the PDA screen protectors, though, they are still an option.

Some advice to everyone. Do not...I repeat, do not use duct tape. It makes the display nearly impossible to see and leaves a sticky residue behind when you remove it.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I just got my screen protectors from strong engeneering. Apparrently they haven't fixed their size problem yet. Mine were about 1/8 in short in width and length. I emailed them and are waiting for a reply

Diplomancy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie'...til you can find a rock.

quote:
Originally posted by Boron:

I just got my screen protectors from strong engeneering. Apparrently they haven't fixed their size problem yet. Mine were about 1/8 in short in width and length. I emailed them and are waiting for a reply

Diplomancy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie'...til you can find a rock.

I had the same problem with mine but I believe they were from another mfr.

Biggest problem I had was the air bubbles. I just couldn't get them out. Any ideas?

Alan