Do you ever have these types of days?

rooboy

Yesterday I decided to spend today (Saturday) geocaching in the Pella, Iowa area. One of the caches I will try to find is the Dutch Hollow Cache (waypoint GC83FC). Because this is bow hunting season in Iowa, both Katie the Collie and myself are wearing large amounts of day-glow orange. When we park, we see two men ahead of us walking down the track. One of these men appears to be carrying a hunting bow.

We are not 400 feet north of the cache location, on the track, when we catch up with the men. It turns out that the bow is not a bow, but an AR15 (M16 look alike) assult rifle. And they intend on doing a little target practice in the direction of the cache. At this point I decide to abort any attempt at finding the cache. But to be on the safe side, I go and introduce myself to the men and apologize for disturbing them. I also say that I will be walking North and returning to the car park. On the way back to the car (0.1 miles) I can hear the AR15 being shot--hopefully not in our direction. As an aside, the carpark at this location has three "No target practice allowed" signs.

From the number of bullet holes in the various pieces of metal lying around, it would appear that this Dutch Hollow cache location is often used for target practice. I am thinking that I will call up someone in Pella, the police, on Monday and talk to them. I also believe that the geocache at this location should be removed--it's just too dangerous to try to find.

After visiting some other caches in the Pella location, it's time to drive home. 50 miles from home (I80 East), we come across an accident and there is a state trooper directing traffic. Just as I drive past the state trooper, an RV decides to merge into my lane. Instead he merges into my car and removes a large amount of my cars forest green paint. Luckily the car is still mechanically sound, so I can still drive home. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is now raining heavily. After another hour, waiting for the state troopers to do their bit, I am again on my way home. Can anything else happen? icon_frown.gif

With only 2i5 miles to go, all of a sudden I smell this horrible "dogge poo" smell coming from the rear of my car. I glance at the back seat and see that Katie the Collie has just crapped all over the back seat. Yes, something else can go wrong. Which is worse, dogs or kids oops's in the back seat? I have no data for kiddies oops's.

Finally Katie the Collie and I arrive back home. And have we got a story to tell "She who must be obeyed" (a BBC comedy reference--Rumpole of the Bailey).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Ciao

RooBoy

Can't say I've had a day like THAT! I will say that dog oop smells worse than baby oop, but I found it to be easier to clean up. My poor Monster Mutt gets carsick in the back of my Subaru on a regular basis... now that's a mighty nasty event.

"You'll curse when the need comes. Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long, and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right." -Granny Weatherwax

Have I ever had a bad day? What do you think!!!

<----------------------------------

I once had a week on vacation at my parents house where it started with my father sliding down the side of a hill in his new truck smashing it up with me, my husband and youngest kid in the back. And the week ended with my father losing control of a house boat he rented and we drifted aimlessly is the high wind and waves until we were saves by jet skiers hours later. So whaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! But I have never been shot at so I guess your day was worse.

GEOCACHING CHANGED MY LIFE - Laugh everyday. Life's too short. But if you have to get mad then that's OK too.

As for smell, I have no reference for baby and little for dog, but I think it is pretty universally accepted that CAT is horrible. And my cat usually manages to do it in the carrying caddy I have her in soon after we set off. This results in me having to stop and clean it up. It is one of the few things that make maintaining my even temper a struggle. But I know she does it because she is nervous so I end up feeling bad for her. I wish there was something I could do - tried ACE from the vet but I also don't like drugging her. icon_frown.gif

First off- The AR-15 is NOTan assault rifle. The term assault rifle is misused often. To be considered an assault rifle, a weapon must be capable of fully atuomitic fire. That means when the trigger is pulled, it shoots multiple rounds. Such weapons are illegal. The AR-15 is a semi automatic, meaning that you must pull the trigger for each round fired.

Second- Turn those red necks in for illegal target shooting. They give law abiding gun owners a bad name. Not to mention the harm they could do to a geocacher or a regualr old hiker just passing through. I am sure there are designated shooting ranges in the area they can go to.

Third- Dog poo is smelly, but not the worst thing that can happen. Try 2 children puking their guts out in the back seat shortly after lunch. Dad had to pull over and hurl himself after that incident. I can stand blood and guts, rotting corpses and all, but I cannot handle the smell and sound of sommeone puking. surprise.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Bilder,

AR15 vs M16...It does not need to be a fully automatic rifle to be considered an 'assault' rifle. If you add a bayonet, colapsable stock and a grenade launcher, it becomes just as illegal as the auto version. No one in our military has an assault rifle either. It is a homemade term used by the gun grabbers. Further, they are only illegal if the owner does not have enough cash to pay for a license.

Thomas (Proud owner of an M4, who never shoots towards the cache) icon_cool.gif

Team Canope

Point taken. I forgot about the special permit you can get for full auto. They are denied up here whenever someone tries to get one.

I would comment on what the definition of "assault rifle" is, but the mods would shut down the thread for straying off course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

My 'worst day so-far' was a week ago when God apparently took it upon his busy self to teach me the "know how far you are from your car and how many hours of daylight are left" lesson. I got fairly lost in a local 'open' space and wound up bushwacking across high ground for 3 hours in the dark since the trails back went through woods and were impossible to see. (Oh, God also recommended I take a flashlight geocaching, even if I think I don't need it.) Walking off-trail was alot more difficult (steep hillsides) and I got multiple blisters as a result. Narrowly avoided a past-curfew ticket on my car, so it certainly could have been worse.