PDA for caching...

kayakanimal

I have been using a PDA from work for caching but now I need to buy my own.

Caching is the ONLY thing it would be used for (viewing the web pages from pocket queries). The problem I have with the one I am using now is it is VERY HARD to see out doors.

Anybody have an idea for an inexpensive PDA? Even if I had to buy an older one used would be OK. I remember hearing someone speak about some of the older Palms were easy to read outside. I am currently using the Casio BE-300.

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

I use a Palm Tungsten T with an Emtac Bluetooth GPS. An expensive solution but I chose it because I already had the Palm and just needed a GPS. It works perfectly with Mapopolis & various GPS apps.

As for inexpensive Palms, I can't think of one which is particularly suited to outside viewing. What comes to mind is how terrible the screen on the Sony Clie SL-10 is (it runs Palm OS) so don't get that. The base Palm m105 is similar in that to see it at all you'd need to switch on the (green) backlight and its still not that effective. I think the B&W Palm Zire is pretty much the same.

The m515 is one possibility, it's colour and quite bright but unless you get it refurb it'd be almost the same price as a Tungsten which is infinitely better.

Firstly I think GC.com have a PDA application? That would be one way.

I've never used that. What I've done in my (limited!) experience is use the Palm Memo Pad to store details and clues about caches + coords. So I Copy and paste from the cache description on the web into the Palm PC software and when the PDA is synced with the PC et voila its all transferred to the PDA. Same for spoiler images though I ususally put them on a memory card with an image viewer. Pocket PC based devices will have a similar mechanism/application.

Just got my NEW Palm m130 color PDA from OfficeDepot for $179 (subtract $20 Palm rebate for a total of $159). Is a little hard to read in direct sunlight, but works like a charm when you position it right.

The linkI used to get it setup:

Paperless Geocaching by mtn-man

"Give to a pig when it grunts and a child when it cries, and you'll have a fine pig and a bad child." -Proverb

I just bought a Palm M130 (color) on Ebay for $107.50 and went caching with it last night. It works great! I made a Pocket Query for all caches I haven't found in New Mexico (There are only around 400 total, and I've found over 100 of them) It sure makes spur of the moment caching much easier. I was working on a multicache and saw some nearby caches on my GPSr (I downloaded all the waypoints into my GPSr also), searched the PQ file on the palm using the waypoint ID, and got the required info find them. If I wasn't using the Palm, I would have had to make another trip up the mountain with the cache printout.

I'll be driving out to CA in a week, so I set up some PQ's for AZ and CA to reduce the paper mess I usually have on caching trips.

I also have a Palm III ($26 on Ebay) that will work, but I prefer using the color Palm.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I've posted this before but it's such a great deal it's worth mentioning again.

Verizon is selling a Pocket PC with built in phone for $199 bucks!!! I've had mine for two weeks now and I'm really happy with it. Was really glad to be able to ditch the Palm and Cell phone and replace it with one device.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."