is it my understanding....

that ammunition should NOT be left as a cache?

There is a user, who hit a cache on my watch list and i noticed he left a 45 cal. bullet as his signature item.

I did e-mail the user and let them know that it CLEARLY states this in the FAQ

[blockquote]Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.[/blockquote] and i suggested that he remove the item from the cache, and not leave any more bullets.

Was i correct in e-mailing this guy. I did so out of respect for the sport, and so that he would be aware that leaving those sort of item is not only unacceptable, but could cost the sport some prime locations (city parks, state parks, private lands)

quote:
There is a user, who hit a cache on my watch list and i noticed he left a 45 cal. bullet as his signature item.

I did e-mail the user and let them know that it CLEARLY states this in the FAQ

[blockquote]Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.[/blockquote] and i suggested that he remove the item from the cache, and not leave any more bullets.

Not certain if this is the same cacher, but I was doing some caching in Michigan last week and came across this too. It is harmless! I know little to nothing of guns and ammo but it was the end that is not pointed, whatever that is called. It was a spent shell that posed no danger. I picked one up to add to my signature item collection.

George

Why are you getting so upset about a bullet? Do you think its going to go off in your hand while you are holding it? The only way it can go off is if you pierce the primer, and without the firearm you would have to be pretty determined to accomplish it, say put the bullet in a vice and hammer a nail directly onto the primer- THEN you'd have a mess, but otherwise it is harmless.

SHEESH, the ignorance of those proponents of gun control irritates me.

I don't think it's ignorance, it's a respect for the sport and the <B>FEW</B> rules that they ask us to obey. If the FAQ's say clearly "no ammo" then it should be followed without question.

As for being harmless, many items are harmless until they land in the hands of curious children. Laws are harmless until misapplied.....

Out of respect for the next cacher (that could be any age) it would be best to not leave questionable items (more or less prohibited items) in the cache for the next to find.

Nobody said a single bullet can be dangerous. But the last thing we need is some panty waisted geomuggle finding a cache with ammo in it and calling the police. Or some ranger with a chip on his shoulder finding it and banning geocaching in their domain.

It's already happened over a small pen knife. Geocaching in one county park system was banned because a ranger found a reference in the log to someone leaving a pen knife. "They put weapons in caches!!!" How awful!! "We must ban the sport".

Imagine how they'll react if they start finding bullets. C'mon, its common sense. No ammo, no alchohol, no firearms, no food, or explosives. With all the thousands of possible items to leave in a cache, can't people choose one that isn't in one of these categories?

Now if its a spent shell, that's a horse in a different garage.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

QUOTE: "...SHEESH, the ignorance of those proponents of gun control irritates me."--Huntnlady

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Is a bullet really a bullet if it has been disabled?

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Actually, the issue here is, was it a bullet, or a spent shell? OK, functionally speaking, there isn't much difference. Both are useless without a firearm. But to paranoid LE personnel, it can be an issue.

OK, I know, one of you will ask, "what if some young children find it, put it in their gun and shoot someone?" We'll really be in trouble then!" icon_rolleyes.gif

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

The only way it can go off is if you pierce the primer, and without the firearm you would have to be pretty determined to accomplish it, say put the bullet in a vice and hammer a nail directly onto the primer- THEN you'd have a mess, but otherwise it is harmless.

And no kid who accidently found the cache would EVER do that, right?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

It's not the spent cartridge,

or the utility tool.

It's the mind of the finder,

be they wise or a fool.

They will try anything,

to put us to shame.

And try to make a spoil of our game.

We will not let them,

We all take a stand,

Geocaching forever throughout this great land....................................

Oh,Yes, oh yes that I am,I think I still like Green eggs and ham.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://arkansasstateparks.com/lapurchase/

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

If it's a bullet, it is not a problem, if it is a cartridge, it may be a problem.

A bullet is just the projectile portion of the cartridge, and is just a chunk of metal (no powder or primer). These can be purchased separately (for people who reload their own cartridges).

I can imagine somebody using these as a signature item, just to get a rise out of people (because you can log that you left a bullet, a perfectly safe, small chunk of metal, no more dangerous than a geo-coin). I realize it’s pedantic, but I’m not the one doing it.

107436_3400.gif

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

[This message was edited by martmann on July 27, 2003 at 12:28 AM.]

quote:

Why are you getting so upset about a bullet? Do you think its going to go off in your hand while you are holding it? The only way it can go off is if you pierce the primer, and without the firearm you would have to be pretty determined to accomplish it, say put the bullet in a vice and hammer a nail directly onto the primer- THEN you'd have a mess, but otherwise it is harmless.

Well, for one thing, it's against the rules of the website, so that SHOULD end this discussion right there. But that wouldn't be much fun, right? icon_smile.gif

*IF* it's live ammo, it's a controlled object in most places. A child or a convicted felon can not legally purchase or possess it. You can not legally supply it to them. If you leave something (anything) in a cache, you have no control over who takes it. A responsible adult, a group of kids playing hide-n-seek, or a convicted felon (even a nice one that geocaches!).

You also have no clue what goes thru the minds of some kids, it seems. I can remember a time in my youth when we found an unfired shotgun shell. Some of my group had the "bright" idea of placing it on a rock facing away from us, and trying to throw small boulders at it to set it off. Luckily they got bored/tired before they succeeded.

And before anyone makes a comment about my personal feelings, I possess a firearm permit in NJ (one of the hardest states to get one in) and my father is a nationally ranked marksman who is off competing this weekend.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

I agree, if it's live ammo, it's a no-no. If it's a casing or the bullet(lead tip) itself, then it poses no danger nor is it illegal to have, unless one wants to consider it paraphenelia, which is a whole different topic. Another thing to consider about live ammo is the possibility of lets say heat (especially in metal ammo cans) and fires. I definitely don't want to be a firefighter extinguishing a fire in the woods and have it explode near me.

Someone brought up the point (no pun intended) on pen knives. That brought up a question to me as we (son and I) found swiss amry knives and box cutters/utility knives in caches. Would that be considered in the same classification as the ammo and weapons thing? I would think so.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

*IF* it's live ammo, it's a controlled object in most places. A child or a convicted felon can not legally purchase or possess it. You can not legally supply it to them.

That's not an accurate statement. You should say in your small over-regulated part of the Country. There's nothing stopping kids or felons from buying ammo here. I can't imagine it being a problem in other states. Just the Liberal over-regulated ones.

I know there are stores that will not sell to minors.

Your right though the only position to take is that it is against the rules.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Propellants are not allowed in caches. We have had many caches that have succumbed to fires over the past few years. If you have a bullet only as a trade item, I have no issue with it. I used to have a bunch of civil war bullets which are harmless without a propellant.

A gun control response is a knee jerk response. Common sense would dictate leaving gun powder or some other explosive in a cache would be a no-brainer. Stupid, short-sighted and dangerous.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:

A round of ammo that goes off outside of a firearm can still kill you. The force of the explosion will not be directed down the barrel of the firearm, but instead may blow the cartridge casing apart, which may or may not send the bullet part of the cartridge flying off in a random direction. You DON'T need to hit the primer to make the gunpowder in the casing go off, to prove my point just go throw a few of those babies in a campfire and watch everyone go running. Ammo cans get awful hot down here in the Arizona sun. Same effect. I even hesitate to leave my Glock in the glovebox for the same reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Someone brought up the point (no pun intended) on pen knives. That brought up a question to me as we (son and I) found swiss amry knives and box cutters/utility knives in caches. Would that be considered in the same classification as the ammo and weapons thing? I would think so.

Brian

This is a description from a cache that was placed on 7/13/2003 (2 weeks ago):

"As for the cache, it is a round, Christmas cookie tin. It contains six items: a six-pack package of TicTacs, a pack of Spiderman playing cards, a Winchester Swiss-style pocket knife, a package of blue bandanas, an insurance/car registration wallet, and a knife-sharpening wetstone."

Let's see: food AND a knife. Hmmmmmm. I am entertaining thoughts of a Jack Daniels cache, if this stuff can fly now...

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Would that be considered in the same classification as the ammo and weapons thing?

The search function of the fora is a wonderful tool.

Rules: knives and lighters

Five pages of results for searching for the term knives

Jeremy's Request

poket knives in caches

Knives in caches?

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I haven't seen in these logs if this was really an in-tact cartridge or just a piece of metal in an aerodynamic shape that we call a 'bullet'.

Being a Civil War guy, I was going to use an old CW style bullet as my sig item (just a hunk of metal - even the National Park Service sells them as souvenirs).

I was going to make them by using an original Civil War bullet mould so they would have been authentic.

After mentioning this on another thread, someone wrote and said about how little children might 'eat' this hunk of metal so I should be real careful about what caches to put them in! Give me a break!

In any case, the guidelines says 'no ammo', a piece of metal is NOT ammo.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

*IF* it's live ammo, it's a controlled object in most places. A child or a convicted felon can not legally purchase or possess it. You can not legally supply it to them.

That's not an accurate statement. You should say in your small over-regulated part of the Country.

Mopar didn't mention the Country. He talked about most places and, you know, there are places outside the Country.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

That's not an accurate statement. You should say in your small over-regulated part of the Country. There's nothing stopping kids or felons from buying ammo here. I can't imagine it being a problem in other states. Just the Liberal over-regulated ones.

I know there are stores that will not sell to minors.

_Your right though the only position to take is that it is against the rules._

NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

He did state legally. It's a Federal Law(18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1)), not a state or local one (although they may have similar laws).

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

On a good geocaching day I'll come home with a complete assortment of cartridges in various calibers. Every now and then I'll take everything I can't shoot down to the local Sheriff’s office. Once they said they would burn them along with their controlled substances.

Go figure.

Now as for gun control, I’ve got two pre ban rifles and I’m working on two more. Just because. If it hadn’t been for gun control I’d not have such an interest in owning controlled guns.

Civil War Bullets would be cool. So would 50 calliber bullets...Hey a new signature item!