Do you remeber the first item you took from a cache?

Well, It took me a while to research the question, but the first item I took from a cache was a Vassar lanyard from a cache hidden by tecmnage, the originator of this topic. And in an interesting twist, the gold dollar taken by tecmage was left in a central Iowa cache by myself in my first find ever. Kinda lets you know that there weren't many of us in the game in central Iowa back them. The situation has certainly changed.

It's nice to know that while I probably won't log 127 finds for a while, the gold dollar I left in my first find has visited, in a way, all those caches icon_cool.gif

The first item I took from a cache was at the fourth find of my first day of caching. I was in a group of four, and I spotted it first, and we were the first finders. icon_smile.gif I took a dollar store pool table game (the kind with the spring-loaded pool cues.)

The first item I took from a cache was at the fourth find of my first day of caching. I was in a group of four, and I spotted it first, and we were the first finders. icon_smile.gif I took a dollar store pool table game (the kind with the spring-loaded pool cues.)

I remember my first cache hunt. It was to "Wilson," the first cache in Louisiana. I left empty-handed... I guess that's why I have such a problem with that now. I got ate up by mosquitoes, and had bites for weeks. The second time I went, I wasn't playing, I brought a friend, a can of bug spray, and a machete. We hacked for like an hour, got rained on, and finally found the trail about 10 feet from the cache (on the way OUT). I got a mini-skateboard type Mc-toy. I can still remember everybody laughing... you got WHAT? I'm still hooked. icon_rolleyes.gif

~RBDupuy.

I remember my first cache hunt. It was to "Wilson," the first cache in Louisiana. I left empty-handed... I guess that's why I have such a problem with that now. I got ate up by mosquitoes, and had bites for weeks. The second time I went, I wasn't playing, I brought a friend, a can of bug spray, and a machete. We hacked for like an hour, got rained on, and finally found the trail about 10 feet from the cache (on the way OUT). I got a mini-skateboard type Mc-toy. I can still remember everybody laughing... you got WHAT? I'm still hooked. icon_rolleyes.gif

~RBDupuy.

I've only done 3 caches (my wife is making me wait on her for the others). I remember not taking a path, and just following the GPS .. walking through stickers and crud like that ... finally finding a trail .. then walking around like my dog trying to find a place to do her business ... I spotted the green matte finished box ... I undid the latch .. and .. DOH! I didn't know how to open an ammo can (it's been a while since boy scouts) ... after much pulling and tugging, I moved the latch a little bit .. and it popped right open. I signed the logbook, signed GoDZirra ... re-hid it ... got to the car ... and realized I didn't even look at what was there and forgot to put what I had brought with me into the cache .. Poor Chris Jericho action figure is now in the Boy Scout Camp cache ...

It is late, and I'm rambling. So, long story short, I remember the journey .. and I didn't take anything. I'm not sure I ever will .. unless something really sweet pops up. I'm waiting on my mini-Godzirras to come in the mail so that I can start placing them in caches, and putting a little serial number on them with my E-mail address to track it, kinda like a travel bug. Only I guess it would be a travel lizard. And, hopefully, one of the mini-Godzirra's make it to Tokyo. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I've rambled long enough.

Godzirra (roar)

I've only done 3 caches (my wife is making me wait on her for the others). I remember not taking a path, and just following the GPS .. walking through stickers and crud like that ... finally finding a trail .. then walking around like my dog trying to find a place to do her business ... I spotted the green matte finished box ... I undid the latch .. and .. DOH! I didn't know how to open an ammo can (it's been a while since boy scouts) ... after much pulling and tugging, I moved the latch a little bit .. and it popped right open. I signed the logbook, signed GoDZirra ... re-hid it ... got to the car ... and realized I didn't even look at what was there and forgot to put what I had brought with me into the cache .. Poor Chris Jericho action figure is now in the Boy Scout Camp cache ...

It is late, and I'm rambling. So, long story short, I remember the journey .. and I didn't take anything. I'm not sure I ever will .. unless something really sweet pops up. I'm waiting on my mini-Godzirras to come in the mail so that I can start placing them in caches, and putting a little serial number on them with my E-mail address to track it, kinda like a travel bug. Only I guess it would be a travel lizard. And, hopefully, one of the mini-Godzirra's make it to Tokyo. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I've rambled long enough.

Godzirra (roar)

Our first item was a small brown fuzzy Teddy Bear from the Texas Star cache at the San Jacinto Battlefield park in Deer Park, Texas. We went and found our second cache that same day in the State Park in Huntsville, and found a small crystal teddy bear in that one, so we have a teddy bear kind of day...LOL. This truly hooked the kids on Geocaching, as I was already. icon_biggrin.gif

Our first item was a small brown fuzzy Teddy Bear from the Texas Star cache at the San Jacinto Battlefield park in Deer Park, Texas. We went and found our second cache that same day in the State Park in Huntsville, and found a small crystal teddy bear in that one, so we have a teddy bear kind of day...LOL. This truly hooked the kids on Geocaching, as I was already. icon_biggrin.gif

I honestly don't remember the first item I got from a cache, but I remember the hunt like it was yesterday.

I had my Mag 315 for a few years and found it be a fun and sometimes very useful item. I used it probably three or four times a year and always wished I had more uses for it.

When I heard about geocaching I new I'd have to try it. I picked the closest cache to me (DuckWalk Cache By Elwood) and headed out. The cache was in our city park that I had been to many times but that day felt very different. I got to the general location and searched for probably twenty minutes because thick tree cover kept moving the location around a small area. Obviously I didn't have my caching skills honed.

When I finally found that little jug, I WAS HOOKED!! The thrill of being able to go to a spot anywhere on the earth and find something specific with my little 'gaget' was an instant rush. I bagged one more that day and three the next!

I have been hooked ever since. Getting deeper and deeper involved in a hobby/sport that has shown me areas in my own neck of the woods that I have never seen and people that I am proud to associate with. Frankly, my faith in my fellow human being had been getting a bit hard.

Geocaching changed that and has kept me interested and active. My wife, my brother, my sister are all converts after seeing what it does for me and I cache with them often.

Long answer to a short question. I guess the short answer is:

I was going to say I don't care, but I guess the real answer is 'All of the above' is what I got from my first cache.

geosign.gif

[This message was edited by Ranz on March 09, 2002 at 03:03 PM.]

We still don't have our GPSR, but we went out to two Letterbox/Geocache combos today. First item I took was a travel bug so we drove her 20 miles west to another more well travelled cache. icon_cool.gif

This is going to be way fun.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

[This message was edited by Opus P on March 09, 2002 at 11:33 PM.]

We still don't have our GPSR, but we went out to two Letterbox/Geocache combos today. First item I took was a travel bug so we drove her 20 miles west to another more well travelled cache. icon_cool.gif

This is going to be way fun.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

I still have the first item I found -- a dayglow orange tapemeasure. I have a large cigar box in which I keep EVERY thing I've taken from a cache. (I tend to take small items like keychains, coins, plastic toys, etc.)

My plan is to celebrate my 50th Cache (coming up soon) by placing all my Treasure items in ONE special cache.

Jolly R. Blackburn

Editor/Creator, Knights of the Dinner Table

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

What? Remember just the first one? We have kept every single one we have taken and have them on display!

We decided not to keep them, mostly, but to take pictures of them and keep those instead. In fact I'm planning a page for one of our web sites to display the pictures.

We took our camera to both caches today, but forgot to photograph the actual cache or us at them. So we just photographed the items when we got them home.

Next time we'll remember to take pictures AT the cache.

By the way, here is the Travel Bug we moved today:

buttercup.jpg

Might log another one in the morning.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Yes we can remember here is a copy of the log.

Oct 3 2001 0900

Corey(my 9 year old son)and I found your cache! Swapped a key chain and Compass thermometer, now he has his first compass. Left of water bottle, key chain with a special key, and a treasure map.

In several weeks @ aprox 340 deg and 2.5 mi. there will be a multi cache.

Joe & Corey

icon_biggrin.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

Yes we can remember here is a copy of the log.

Oct 3 2001 0900

Corey(my 9 year old son)and I found your cache! Swapped a key chain and Compass thermometer, now he has his first compass. Left of water bottle, key chain with a special key, and a treasure map.

In several weeks @ aprox 340 deg and 2.5 mi. there will be a multi cache.

Joe & Corey

icon_biggrin.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

A very compact stubby screwdriver set. there were cordless screwdriver bits and an extension in the handle. the whole thing is about the size of a golf ball. I left a $5 scrimshaw locking folding knife in its place.

I chose that particular cache to be my first because it was placed on my birthday.

Yes, I remember. It was a BigFig cache. He placed some high quality caches! (you still out there BF?) Turns out he was into the lapidary thing and we took an uncut blue lapis stone. We were first finders. My wife wanted the stone and I the cigar. Course you know who won that argument. We went on to find his others and ended up with some rose quartz ear rings, and genuine emralds etc.. etc.. quality caches all. Hats off to you BF!

11902_900.gif

I tried to remember what my first prize was but I can't. This worries me because it was only a month ago and I only have 8 finds under my belt so far. I guess old age is catching up to me. I do remember how excited I was that I actually found it and that I felt a little guilty taking something (even though I left something in return). I will probably never forget that feeling or where it was located.

P.S. I am going directly to the log on that cache to see what I exchanged.

It's been almost one year ago that on a cool 50 degree day in Michigan I swam across a small pond while my wife laughed at me and found "Rabbit Island" It contained a Douglas Adam's book that I wanted but since the water was about 8 foot deep and I was soaked I took nothing left nothing. I was hooked and that is still one of my favorite caches because of the challenge I had being the first one to it.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

My first cache item was also at the first cache in the area. Meach lake pressure cooker. This was an early spring walk trough the bush with still lot's of snow.After sweating it out to the mountain top and a great experience me and my son tooked a tin container full of mints and a energie bar.

Here's what Mike Teague wrote about the very first trade:

quote:
Here's what I remember about the "first cache":

a can of Western Family brand beans -- I think kidney beans or "chili beans".. . I do remember the brand name, not the particular type of bean . Western Family is a local (generic) brand up here in the NW. -- I just spoke to my brother, he thinks they were black-eyed peas, but he is not sure either.

a slingshot (just the frame, no rubber tubing)

some version of TopoUSA for PC..

Ross Perot's book (i forget the title, it's his well-known book though) in paperback form.

I think there was also a burned cdrom of various SW Washington DRG's...

$2 cash

The only thing missing was the tape recorder which Mr Ulmer had taken out to fix so people could record messages on it.. I never saw that..

If I remember correctly, my brother took the $2 and we left a bunch of cigarettes. (we didn't have any guidelines then )

25021_1200.gif

being an avid reader, the item I took from my first cache was a copy of "Catcher in the Rye". And now that I've finished it, I will be placing it in a future cache (along with a Lego Geo-Cacher) so some one else can read it... kind of a non-TB'd Literary TB... icon_rolleyes.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

being an avid reader, the item I took from my first cache was a copy of "Catcher in the Rye". And now that I've finished it, I will be placing it in a future cache (along with a Lego Geo-Cacher) so some one else can read it... kind of a non-TB'd Literary TB... icon_rolleyes.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain