Do you remeber the first item you took from a cache?

Post 1 on March 6, 2002 in this thread, and Post 2 on March 6, 2002 in this thread. I don't have to remember, I can just look it up in this ancient thread. B)

A flourescent day-glow yellow golf ball and an I (heart) golf keychain.

I hate golf.

But it was one of the best items in the cache.

Left a 50¢ coupon, Mardi Gras beads and a tiny stuffed Mickey Mouse. March 17, 2001 (I had actually already found it on March 13, but didn't tell my wife).

Going on my caching anniversary next Wednesday, if the weather holds.

Interesting. I just finished by fourth anniversary of caching.

Yes, it was a Budweiser bottle opener that had a metal contact that made it yell out "Whassssupppppp!!!!!!" when you open a bottle. It also works when you complete the circuit with wet hands... and it made me jump when I touched it for the first time because it had been raining!!!

It's also the best ever thing I have ever found in a cache. I don't bother swapping these days though.

Hi,

I'm in Maryland and the first thing I took was a CC Cooper Agency keyring. They were their signature item and they were putting them in all the caches at that time. Now that they are past 8000 finds, I don't think they leave them anymore -- making mine all the more valuable.

The other thing I have saved over the years is a "handmade" wooden keyring made by "spitwinkle." He has moved out of our area and no more caches around with his signature item.

On our first cache hunt in June 2002, my daughter (then 8 years old) traded for a pocketknife. We still have it, along with several other pocketknives given to us by the nice fellow who left that trade item as a signature item back in the days before nervous land managers and other worriers forced the adoption of a rule against it. That geocacher, Puppyman, was the first geocacher we ever teamed up with for a day of cache hunting, and we are still good geo-buddies. My daughter was thrilled to find the knife, and I used the occasion as a teachable moment about proper use and safety precautions for knives.

Hi,

I'm in Maryland and the first thing I took was a CC Cooper Agency keyring. They were their signature item and they were putting them in all the caches at that time. Now that they are past 8000 finds, I don't think they leave them anymore -- making mine all the more valuable.

The other thing I have saved over the years is a "handmade" wooden keyring made by "spitwinkle." He has moved out of our area and no more caches around with his signature item.

That keychain is what started GeoWoodstock.

My first item was a something. lol.

I did three caches. My first cache may have been a where's george dollar. But I don't remember.

Second cache was a cross stitched hand towel - I cross stitch so I thought it was cool. Third cache was a hello Kitty backpack clip.

I took one of those sand-filled lizard dolls. I still have it, sitting comfortably on my LCD monitor :)

I actually have a box around somewhere with the "treasures" that I took from my first 50 or so caches, until I started TNLNSL for a while, and then usually TN, Left Token, SL THX BYE.

Our first take was a little plastic dinosaur, that is now velcro'd into our Jeep as the mascot. We had taken something to trade with us, but forgot it in the car, so I left a dollar bill. My hubby (the cheapskate) realized right away that this was a money losing situation. :)

:) Our first caching experience was as a family (of four), Our teenage son took a $1.00 bill and our daughter bummed that she did not get it first settled for a "lesser prize",..... determined to be the finder on the next one so that she could get to pick first!

My first cache:

August 17, 2003 by TheAlabamaRambler (1098 found)

The Mountie Cache was my first find, though it was a snap as I went to this school in the early seventies and my son goes to the new Shades Valley.

This spot was open back then already - great hide for newbies. Although I knew the roads I let my eTrex lead the way - took me right to it.

The cache has a hole in the bottom, so everything's somewhat wet - water standing in the container bottom and all zip-lock bags had been left open.

I dried everything as well as possible with paper towels, logged my visit, took nothing (although this cache is jammed full of goodies) and left a ceramic black bear from Tennessee.

Have fun.

After finding around ten caches I took my wife Teresa out with me.

In her first cache she found a Rosary, and we adopted it to become her geocaching handle - GeoRose!

My first quest was for a cache titled & themed "Things that are blue". Before heading out I searched for an appropriate 'blue' trade item & could only find a nice blue pen. At the cache I traded it for a blue pencil.

No this may not be the most memorable story, but it was a great day for me, and I remember it clearly, especially the anticipation of whether or not I was gonna find that hidden treasure or not, Glad I did! :o

I took two army men. One of which I turned into a travelbug and released on the second anniversary of my first find....and then some yahoo lost it. <_<

Bret

WOW! Just a few hours after I posted this my travelbug got dropped off in a cache! Nine months and five days after it was taken!!!!

Now, if I could just find the guy who's got my stapler! :ph34r:

Bret

I guess this will be on the record for anyone to Markwell from now to eternity.

Hmmm, I'll have to say year old butter cookies. The cache container was a christmas butter cookie tin and the person who placed the cache left a few in the tin along with some geocaching swag.

Tracy and I get into the truck daily and see the first item we took from our first find- A gold dollar. We've since passed most other items on, but we still have that dollar- it has been with us on every trip since April 2001. <BR><BR>What was your first item?<BR><BR>Richard

I keep a little red dotted rubber lizard on my desk - it was the first "prize" I found geocaching.

--Marc

July 2, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

My first was a geobead from a series of 7 bead caches here in CA. I didn't even have a GPSr for that first one. The clue and reading the logs lead me all the way. I was so excited i signed my real name! I'm still trying to find the last, but the 6 beads hang from a string tied to my GPSr.

We didn't take anything from our first cache, and left a 2 Euro coin from Spain.

Our first ever geo-prize was a little laminated gamepiece that we are supposed to collect lots of and claim a prize through a website, but we haven't found anymore of these since. :rolleyes:

My favorite geo-prize so far (besides the TB that we have to give back!) is a pin that we have on our backpack. It says "We're not lost, we're geocaching". Yes, indeed, we're geeks. :anitongue: