I just don't get it...

why are they allowing HUNTING in a NATURE PRESERVE. Not a very good way to preserve nature! And don't say the pheasant herd needs to be thinned. icon_rolleyes.gif Is hunting even allowed there? Looks like you'll have to move it and hide it. Too bad. I like the cache concept. And not only did he open the container thinking it was a bomb, he kept himself on the edge of his seat while he opened each individual little "bomb"! Idjut! I hope he still went home and looked up www.geocaching.com anyway. it'll give him something to do in the off season.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

While I'm happy that Team Cachebarr was OK, and that a plunderer was caught with container in hand, I've got to wonder... how dumb can some people be? icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif

I agree; you don't get it.

You should be directing a large dose of that anger at yourself for not hiding the cache better, especially since you knew the area was open to hunters.

quote:
Originally posted by ACME geocachers:

You should be directing a large dose of that anger at yourself for not hiding the cache better, especially since you knew the area was open to hunters.

I had waited until after deer season was over before I hid it, as well as after a snowfall so I could tell that there were no trails anywhere near the hiding spot.

I agree that it's my fault for not realizing that there was still more hunting to go after deer season.

What I don't get is how someone who was so concerned about his safety had no problem opening up the cache (which had a string of Christmas lights coming out of the side that he ripped out) and then walking off with it.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

why are they allowing _HUNTING_ in a _NATURE PRESERVE_. Not a very good way to preserve nature! And don't say the pheasant herd needs to be thinned. Is hunting even allowed there?

For what it's worth, there is at least one preserve here in NJ which annually opens up for hunters. I think they call it "deer population control". It seems to be a two-week event, tightly controlled.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:

(which had a string of Christmas lights coming out of the side that he ripped out) and then walking off with it.

Are they like, blinking and everything? I've heard a few people around here mention wanting to do that, a cache tube with led's or something like that. Must make the thing hard to hide.

Also I find that, when I plant my caches, they are well-hidden, but when an un-suspecting geocacher logs the find and just kind of tosses it back on the ground near where it was, they can be stumbled upon real fast. ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

quote:

why are they allowing _HUNTING_ in a _NATURE PRESERVE_. Not a very good way to preserve nature! And don't say the pheasant herd needs to be thinned. Is hunting even allowed there?

For what it's worth, there is at least one preserve here in NJ which annually opens up for hunters. I think they call it "deer population control". It seems to be a two-week event, tightly controlled.

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

The Tichigan Area allows hunting of pheasant, deer, black bear, wild grouse and others. And the deer have to be sampled for some wasting away disease they found last year. (yes, Tichigan, not Michigan, that's what it's called)

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by ACME geocachers:

quote:

While I'm happy that Team Cachebarr was OK, and that a plunderer was caught with container in hand, I've got to wonder... how dumb can some people be? icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif

I agree; you don't get it.

ACME If you had been there, your remarks might not be as critical. As a finder, I can say that the cache placement was not inappropriate. The hunter had actually seen cachers retrieve the cache on the previous day and then decided he would go back. Knowing Cheesehead Dave, I think that his response is mild compared to what mine would have been.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

ACME If you had been there, your remarks might not be as critical. As a finder, I can say that the cache placement was not inappropriate. The hunter had actually seen cachers retrieve the cache on the previous day and then decided he would go back.

You are probably right. The hunter sounds like a jerk, and the cachers the hunter saw retrieving the cache deserved a taste of Dave's wrath. Cachers really must be alert and aware of their surroundings.

It sounds like it was a very nice cache, but I don't think that one star difficulty caches (which I assume was hidden in plain view) are a good idea in areas that routinely receive off trail use, like hunting. I think people who place one star difficulty caches should expect the cache will inevitably be discovered by accident, though hopefully the discovery would only amount to a note in the logbook.

But a non-cacher found your cache, and "messed with it", So What? icon_confused.gif

quote:

Read the logs http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=45500... (Sorry about the MIDI... icon_rolleyes.gif)

And my rant http://www.wi-geocaching.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000065.html.

While I'm happy that Team Cachebarr was OK, and that a plunderer was caught with container in hand, I've got to wonder... how dumb can some people be?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

But a non-cacher found your cache, and "messed with it", So What? icon_confused.gif

It's not that I'm pissed that someone stumbled across it. The way it was hidden, I knew that it was a possibility. What I'm annoyed at is what I mentioned above... the guy thought it was suspicious, opened it anyway, obviously ignored the laminated half-sheet that I put in all my caches explaining what it is, unwrapped all the contents, then decided to take off with it.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

quote:

It's not that I'm pissed that someone stumbled across it. The way it was hidden, I knew that it was a possibility. What I'm annoyed at is what I mentioned above... the guy thought it was suspicious, opened it anyway, obviously ignored the laminated half-sheet that I put in all my caches explaining what it is, unwrapped all the contents, then decided to take off with it.

Ah, so there was an info. sheet inside icon_smile.gif

Hey, maybe he thought all the smaller packages were smaller bombs, and that the laminated card was some cover story... icon_rolleyes.gif Right! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

After opening all everything, and most likely reading the info & log entries (is there a log book?), and seeing at least one other group of geocachers "do something" there. I have to think he knew enough to know to leave the container in place, but instead he/she desides to carry the cache and all the newly found geo-prizes home icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

It seems like a pretty natural reaction to me.

You can't expect everybody who comes across a cache to follow the rules (or to follow your own personal concept of "common sense"), even if there is a laminated card inside the box.

At least the fellow indicated that he intended to look up geocaching.com when he got home.

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

The solution is too simple. Why a cheesehead didn't think of it is hard to understand. Put a beer kegger in plain sight of the cache. No hunter will even notice the cache.

[rant]

I'm a little sick of the anti-hunting overtones by a lot of the posters to this thread (and others).

This one guy was a jerk. Most hunters are honest, law-abiding folk. A lot of people drive drunk. Does that make all drivers criminals? No!

If some idiot hit a bus full of kids, would you say, put a giant whisky bottle at the other end of town to keep drivers away from the schools?

[/rant]

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

quote:

why are they allowing _HUNTING_ in a _NATURE PRESERVE_. Not a very good way to preserve nature! And don't say the pheasant herd needs to be thinned. "

Nature Preserves are usually hunted only during severely controlled and focused hunts to lower populations of animals that otherwise exceed the carrying capacity of the land. The importance of this is seen in the occurrence of chronic wasting disease (AKA black tongue disease) that is spreading from the rockies and Wisconsin. Most of the deer population is either infected or at risk in these places, largely due to over population. The hunts are usually done in special seasons and done with the intent to lower a population by a given amount. Generic hunting is normally not allowed in these places.

Its a good tool and results in healthier populations of animals both in terms of less overcrowding and disease, but also restoring the carrying capacity of the preserve so other species, including non-game species don't die out.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif