GPS & Kids

KSJohn

My daughter (15) wanted to use my pickup the other night. I always keep my Vista plugged in and turned on in the pickup. Well before she left I reset the trip readings. She had a 10:30 curfew. Well she made it home on time with a few min. to spare. Next morning I found out that she had put over 80 miles on and top speed was 85. Hit her up about it, her comment was she didnt want to be late. Now I need to figure out the trip log feature so I can see where all she goes next time. Had a laugh at the look on the face when I hit her up about the speeding. She said how the heck did I know.

KSJ,

Just be aware that the GPS could give inaccurate readings. We had a discussion about that once... or more. Sometimes your GPS will just freak out and send you miles from where you really are, and then back again. Your top speed might read hundreds of miles per hour. Obviously, if litte miss came home in your truck with a top speed of 423 mph, you know that something is funny... but what if it reads 123?

I'm not a father, let alone a father of a 15-year old daughter... so I'm glad you got some humor out of it, and hopefully she'll think you have psychic powers from now on.

...and go easy on her. Rembember being 15?

Jamie

My husband and I got a laugh a couple of weeks ago when a TV show had a feature on a GPS unit that was triggered by a key fob (or something) that the teen driver uses. Our son, who will turn 16 in 37 days got wide eyed and asked if we were going to get one of the units! The program showed the routing information, top speeds and wild turns.

Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana

quote:
Originally posted by KSJohn:

My daughter (15) wanted to use my pickup the other night

1. Where the heck do you live that a 15 yr old can drive alone?

2. They actually make devices you can install in your car for this very purpose (it was on one of those morning talk-shows recently.) It tracks speed and acceleration and few other things to give you a profile of how your kid is driving. They were developed for fleet vehicles and the like but are now being marketed to parents.

ApK

Most every unit will record track data. This can be downloaded to a variety of software titles that will clearly show the path traveled on a map.

Recently, when my wife was stopped for speeding, we thought she was clocked faster than she was actually going.

FORTUNATELY, she had the GPS with her and turned on. icon_cool.gif

UNFORTUNATELY, the GPS confirmed that the officer was correct. Using the timestamp on the trackpoints and the time she was clocked on the ticket, we determined that she was going as fast as was charged. icon_frown.gif

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Most every unit will record track data. This can be downloaded to a variety of software titles that will clearly show the path traveled on a map.

Recently, when my wife was stopped for speeding, we thought she was clocked faster than she was actually going.

UNFORTUNATELY, the GPS confirmed that the officer was correct. Using the timestamp on the trackpoints and the time she was clocked on the ticket, we determined that she was going as fast as was charged. icon_frown.gif

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I'm an attorney and as part of my practice, I handle divorce cases. I had a client who "caught" her husband in the act, at least the act of lying. She suspected that he wasn't really going out of town on business, as he had previously told her. On the advice of a friend who knew about GPSrs, she purchased a Garmin Yellow, turned it on and placed it in the back window of his car where he couldn't readily see it, then retrieved it when he got home. She then loaded in a new set of batteries and followed the breadcrumb trail to a hotel about 40 miles from our town (he was supposed to be in Washington, DC, about 5 hours from here).

When she came in for her initial appointment, she declared herself frustrated at three other attorneys to whom she had talked, explaining that they had each been so unfamiliar with GPS technology that they didn't believe that the evidence would stand up in court. Her face lit up when I pulled out my Legend and told her I didn't need the actual GPS tracker, just the coords of the end of his travels. I punched in the coords, then headed out to confirm that the wayward husband had actually only traveled a few miles into North Carolina (the opposite direction of his alleged destination).

From there, with a subpoena I got the "sign in log" from where he signed in as "Mr. & Mrs." with his mistress, the credit card receipt he signed for a double occupancy room, and confirmed that the room he rented had only one double bed. When I made my trip, I borrowed the Yellow, as well, and followed the track on my way back. I even figured out where hubby and mistress had dinner that night!

Busted! I'm just waiting to see his puzzled expression when he tries to figure out exactly how I discovered where he actually went. icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I'm an attorney and as part of my practice, I handle divorce cases. I had a client who "caught" her husband in the act, at least the act of lying. She suspected that he wasn't really going out of town on business, as he had previously told her. On the advice of a friend who knew about GPSrs, she purchased a Garmin Yellow, turned it on and placed it in the back window of his car where he couldn't readily see it, then retrieved it when he got home. She then loaded in a new set of batteries and followed the breadcrumb trail to a hotel about 40 miles from our town (he was supposed to be in Washington, DC, about 5 hours from here).

When she came in for her initial appointment, she declared herself frustrated at three other attorneys to whom she had talked, explaining that they had each been so unfamiliar with GPS technology that they didn't believe that the evidence would stand up in court. Her face lit up when I pulled out my Legend and told her I didn't need the actual GPS tracker, just the coords of the end of his travels. I punched in the coords, then headed out to confirm that the wayward husband had actually only traveled a few miles into North Carolina (the opposite direction of his alleged destination).

From there, with a subpoena I got the "sign in log" from where he signed in as "Mr. & Mrs." with his mistress, the credit card receipt he signed for a double occupancy room, and confirmed that the room he rented had only one double bed. When I made my trip, I borrowed the Yellow, as well, and followed the track on my way back. I even figured out where hubby and mistress had dinner that night!

Busted! I'm just waiting to see his puzzled expression when he tries to figure out exactly how I discovered where he actually went. icon_biggrin.gif

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Is my Magellan Gold capable of giving this track info. I am real interested in the speed info. I wasn't aware it stored that too.

Yes, If you have the mapsend software from Magellen you can download a track and "Play it back" on the map at realtime or speed it up.

Not sure if you can do this with other software?

NG

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Incredulous!!! Did he sign in with his own name too??

Alan

Couldn't exactly present a credit card with his name on it and sign in under someone else's! Probably one of the little details he didn't think to plan until it presented itself.

My experience in this field leads me to believe that "wandering" spouses, both male and female, lose all semblance of intelligence when there's a little nookie involved. One little slip-up is all it takes. icon_biggrin.gif

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Incredulous!!! Did he sign in with his own name too??

Alan

Couldn't exactly present a credit card with his name on it and sign in under someone else's! Probably one of the little details he didn't think to plan until it presented itself.

My experience in this field leads me to believe that "wandering" spouses, both male and female, lose all semblance of intelligence when there's a little nookie involved. One little slip-up is all it takes. icon_biggrin.gif

60748_1200.jpg