Doing your honorable part - Volunteering !

icon_biggrin.gif Greetings to all Jacksonville and surrounding area of Northern Florida.

I ask you, when was last time you did any volunteering for a worthy cause? I ask because the last 10 years I've been doing the phone bank for local Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon aka Jerry's Kids that's broadcasted on Labor Day weekend (First Monday of Sept) . I'm asking for others to do the honorable thing by offering their time to answer phones in the morning / afternoon shift or even all day like I've been doing. For Northeast, Southern Georgia - You can contact the local MDA office in Jacksonville M-F during business hours. (904)739-3964, tell then to sign you up for phone bank for the up and coming MDA Telethon. I've not been disappointed in doing this honorable yearly event.

Enclosed is a LINK to view pcx taken of last year MDA all day event plus check out MDA Telethon Day Pt II and FGA first gathering in Apr 2002 too. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dteec:

No offense, but I don't see the connection.

dteec

If you're active in your community at some level, and you're known within your community as being a good and caring person, and your community knows that you're a Geocacher....

You see? The benefits from one could carry over to another. Plus, sometimes it feels good just to help without the tit for tat. icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

You see? The benefits from one could carry over to another. Plus, sometimes it feels good just to help without the tit for tat. icon_smile.gif

No, I don't see you're connection. On one hand you say volunteering in my community could help my geocaching in some way. But then you say "it feels good just to help without the tit for tat" which contradicts what you just said about "carrying over."

I'm familiar with volunteerism and have done quite a bit recently but I don't see the connection between the start of this thread and GeoCaching.

dteec

quote:

No, I don't see you're connection. On one hand you say volunteering in my community could help my geocaching in some way. But then you say "it feels good just to help without the tit for tat" which contradicts what you just said about "carrying over."

I'm familiar with volunteerism and have done quite a bit recently but I don't see the connection between the start of this thread and GeoCaching.

dteec

The start of the thread has no connection to Geocaching. I was only trying to make one.

GOOD PR is always a GOOD thing. Seems as if the public in general are afraid of the (unknown) aspect of Geocaching and its participants.

If we don't introduce ourselves in a positive manner we'll continue to be thought of as something hiding under a bed. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

The start of the thread has no connection to Geocaching. I was only trying to make one.

My point exactly. I agree with what you are saying, but when I come to this forum I come to discuss GeoCaching, not volunteerism. Unless, of course, the volunteerism being discussed is related to GeoCaching.

Maybe this thread should've been part of the "off topic" thread that I recently saw, or maybe in the section that pertains to the Florida area.

dteec

quote:
Maybe this thread should've been part of the "off topic" thread that I recently saw, or maybe in the section that pertains to the Florida area.

dteec

icon_rolleyes.gif I posted in General - If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here.

Your right - should orginally been posted for the Southeast topic... Done deal... Zillion thanks for you input on this matter.... Sorry for intruding... icon_smile.gif