what are you getting your mom for mother's day?

I AM the Mom...I'm getting the auto mounting bracket and power cable for my Meridian. (The Meridian was my Anniversary gift....My PDA was my Valentine's Day gift, etc.)

Have I got a great family, or what?

"Could be worse...could be raining"

i wish i could afford a gps for her - she thinks this sounds cool... plus being in england (which is such a tiny country) there are literally TONS really close to where she lives... maybe next week after payday...

there is no knowledge, only things, which is really old knowledge.

Same thing she gets for her birthday and Christmas. It's the same thing I get for my wife (and she gets for me) on all the the special days that others tell us we must observe: nada, zilch, nothing. I don't expect others to understand but we have discovered wonderful freedom in choosing to not participate in obligatory observances. We usually don't even remember our wedding anniversary until we get home and find cards in the mail. Likewise, it's only the well-meaning cards from co-workers that tell us another year in our lives have passed.

I debated responding to this thread for fear of offending folks but I decided that it might benefit someone to be reminded that you don't really HAVE to observe days. It's fine if you choose to but it should be a choice.

That being said, I sincerely hope that the moms in your life feel appreciated and special on Sunday (and every day, for that matter).

A vacuum cleaner, an apron, an oven, and other mommy stuff that'll piss her off! :S

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure."

- Dan Quayle

"Si nous ne r?ussissons pas nous courons le risque d'?chec."

- Dan Quayle (If he was French!) [Those crazy French!]

English: Radman Version 2.0

Spanish Versi?n 2,0 De Radman

Portuguese: Vers?o 2,0 De Radman

Italian: Versione 2,0 Di Radman

i don't feel particularly obliged, but all the same, my mom loves her shiny new coordinates. she can't wait to go out and find the ammo can.

in my family we really like presents. we like 'em for mother's day, for halloween, for groundhog day, or tuesday for that matter.

for a while i experimented with celebrating tuesdays, but it got to be a hassle sending out the cards every week. i'd like to tell you this is a joke, but it's true. for a while i sent out elaborate hand-drawn cards EVERY TUESDAY.

and yes, i know they have medications to help that.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Hmm.. I like that plan. Now if I could only get my mom, dad, wife, etc. to agree with me.

My wife's in on it. I can't say that anyone else really understands or appreciates our point of view but they've gotten used to it . . .

quote:
in my family we really like presents. we like 'em for mother's day, for halloween, for groundhog day, or tuesday for that matter.

I like your Tuesday idea. I can justify that a little easier than buying cards or flowers on a certain day because Hallmark and the florist industry says I "have" to.

But regarding birthdays, etc. I've come to find it extremely strange that grown people with their own income convince themselves that they need to wait for a certain day on the calender to buy something they need or want. If you need a dishwasher then buy the thing. Don't say you're giving it to each other for Christmas! You want that new GPSr? Buy it. You're not fooling anyone but yourself when you say you've bought YOURSELF a birthday present. Besides, celebrating birthdays is just a tad childish, isn't it?

Sorry, I'm ranting now. I'll shut up . . .

i LOVE celebrating birthdays! every year i survive is worth celebrating, i think. i also had a little party the first time i ever logged 2000 biking miles in a season.

new job? party.

new fiscal year? party.

new house? party.

day before big race? party.

end of race season? party.

sense a pattern here? and i didn't get my mom flowers; i got her the coordinates to an ammo can with flower seeds in it. she loves it.

in terms of obligation, i have to go to my dad's barbecue tomorrow. i'm going because he's my dad it would mean a lot to him. nevermind that it will be a tedious exercise in biting my tongue. he's still my dad. and besides, where else will i get to see seven different kinds of meat and two different recipes containing green jello all in one place?

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I couldn't post it in the forums before Mothers' Day, because Mom might have read it, but my sister and I got together to create a "Mothers' Day Multi-Cache" for Mom.

I gave her stage one over the phone, which was the obligatory card, hidden in a local park. Coordinates to stage two were inside the card, which led her to another park several miles away.

The gift was inside a shiny (?) new ammo can, which was also part of the gift. Perhaps she'll use it for her 23rd cache hide.

57027_1500.gif