Geocaching and Sheep

Hiemdahl

I herd about this awhile ago, so I hoofed it right out to the nearest farm to try and get the ewe TM coordinates for the ovine populus. Unfortunately, my GPS gave me an error message; it said that I did not have enough RAM available. That doesn't make sense -- I think Garmin is trying to pull the wool over my eyes with their crappy manual. Sorry to lambast Garmin, but there's a whole flock of people who say Garmin sucks. I wanted to post a message about this problem earlier, but I was too sheepish.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

A little off topic but I was reading a few weeks ago about a study last summer in Montana where they captured a grizzly and put a collar on it that had a gps in it that would record position every hour or so. The collar was programed to release itself after 3 months and send out a signal so game and fish guys could find it. When they looked at where the grizz had been they saw it was in town and just outside of town the whole time without anyone ever seeing it.

He didn't eat any sheep though, that would have been a good tie in icon_wink.gif

Or the researchers tracking the caribou herd on the North Slope. Part of the drilling in ANWR controversy...

They put gps and radio collars on a few caribou to track the movements of the entire herd in real time. They also thought it would be a neat idea to let the local schoolkids track the movements on the internet via school computers. So beginning of hunting season the kids would just log on, find the herd, then go home and tell Dad where the herd was. Sure beats running all over looking for them.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I herd about this awhile ago, so I hoofed it right out to the nearest farm to try and get the ewe TM coordinates for the _ovine populus_. Unfortunately, my GPS gave me an error message; it said that I did not have enough RAM available. That doesn't make sense -- I think Garmin is trying to pull the wool over my eyes with their crappy manual. Sorry to lambast Garmin, but there's a whole flock of people who say Garmin sucks. I wanted to post a message about this problem earlier, but I was too sheepish.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

10,000 out of work comedians, and you want to be one. icon_wink.gif

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

They've also been into the virtual removable fence that's not a fence.

GPS tagged cattle and the fence basically is a series of waypoints uploaded/changed to the tags as required via a radio link. The cattle approach the invisible fence, get a bit of a jolt and turn back.

Probably expensive but for a few thousand head.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team BooneDog:

A little off topic but I was reading a few weeks ago about a study last summer in Montana where they captured a grizzly and put a collar on it that had a gps in it that would record position every hour or so. The collar was programed to release itself after 3 months and send out a signal so game and fish guys could find it.

I wonder about the release mechanism? I hope they didn't use Nasa's exploding bolts!

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

They've also been into the virtual removable fence that's not a fence.

-snip-

The cattle approach the invisible fence, get a bit of a jolt and turn back.

-snip-

Maybe I hang with a dumber crowd, but any bovine I have dealt with in the past seemed just as likely to bolt the wrong way when jolted. And if the jolts kept coming, it would be "stampede" in any one of 360 degrees of direction!

On the other hand, after a few attempts on the real thing, all that is needed to stop the "educated" ones from using a road to cross a fence line is simply just the image of a cattle guard painted in white on the road.

Since the topic of " behaviour modification through small electrical stimulus" has come up, heres one for ya, even though its radio controlled instead of gps.

A guy had a hunting dog which, every time was released to flush game, would simply take off for hours. The owner had enough, so he purchased a trainer collar, the kind with electric shock delivered from a radio controller.

he and some buddies took their dogs out for training, and the collar was affixed to the wayward dog. Sure enough, when let go, he headed for the horizon. Smugly, owner hit the button, and watched the dog contiinue unfazed. Several times the dog was caught and the button tested, with no reaction.

Fuming at the ribbing from his buddies, and sure the unit was broken, this genius among men hands the controller to another guy, and straps the collar to HIS neck.

Sidenote: small electrodes on the collar must contact the dogs skin, not the fur. Humans, being devoid of fur, make excellent conductors for electric shock stimulus.

sidenote 2: it is reportedly impossible to maintain the manual dexterity to remove a collar while being shocked, or to carry out the threat of exacting horrid punishment to the person holding down the button while being shocked.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

Q: What did Mick Jagger say to the straggling Scot in his pasture?

A: HEY! (hey), McCLOUD! (cloud), get offa my Ewe!

-Vb (don't forget to tip your waitress)

Is that anything like tipping cows??

Reminds me of the joke about sheep and the Scots. They wear kilts because sheep can hear a zipper from 100 yds.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens&Mosie:

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

Q: What did Mick Jagger say to the straggling Scot in his pasture?

A: HEY! (hey), McCLOUD! (cloud), get offa my Ewe!

-Vb (don't forget to tip your waitress)

Is that anything like tipping cows??

Reminds me of the joke about sheep and the Scots. They wear kilts because sheep can hear a zipper from 100 yds.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

-----------------------------------------------

Thats almost as bad as. Why do Sheep hearders were those big boots, because its easier to get the rear legs in the tops.

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

icon_geocachingwa.gif