Why are so many finds not logged online?

RAD Dad

I have been watching some Caches that I found recently and have noticed that often times there are finds in the log book that haven't been logged online. One cache in particular, "Dead Governors" had several finds logged in the cache logbook from the same day and previous day that I found it, plus the Travel Bug I was hoping to find there was gone too...but no one mentioned taking it in the log book.....

Just wondering why it is that folks don't log thier find online as well and with a little more detail, I like reading about what people found, took, left, and how the search went.

Me, I log my cache's as soon as I can get to an internet connection.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I'm with RK, except that I almost always cache alone. My cache log entries are usually quite short, but my online entries can get too long.

I don't know why people don't log online. I guess it's easy to forget... and like Z said, it's the big-brother thing.

Probably some computer-illiteracy going on, too. Folks learn what they need to do to get the coords and that's it. Probably not even aware of the other features of the site.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

If I had my way I'd only log online. I always pass the log to whoever I can con into writing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I'm with RK, except that I almost always cache alone.

Maybe I should start bringing an ink pad with me, and just let Daisy mark her paw print in the logbook of the caches we find together...and then I'll handle the on-line logs. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

If I had my way I'd only log online. I always pass the log to whoever I can con into writing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I'm with RK, except that I almost always cache alone.

Maybe I should start bringing an ink pad with me, and just let Daisy mark her paw print in the logbook of the caches we find together...and then I'll handle the on-line logs. icon_wink.gif

I don't know why this happens either. I enjoy logging the finds myself, for one reason I suppose because I am a storyteller. Just read any of my recent logs and you'll figure out quick that I'm either a braggart or just enjoy talking about myself and our adventures... I think both. I'm my own favorite topic of discussion.

Reason #2 I like seeing what people post is that it lets me know if a cache I'm planning a visit to is in good shape, or if there might be something cool in it that I want.

Reason #3, if it is my cache I like knowing the condition of it and who has been there. If no one posted, I wouldn't know for a month or two. WaynePDX recently found one of our caches and posted that the contents when he found it where strewn around and he put it back together and replaced it, though he wasn't sure if he put it in the right spot. We will head out there tomorrow to check on it.

Reason #4, I enjoy seeing what others take and leave... especially if they take (and enjoyed) something that we've left. Travel Bugs, by their very nature need to be logged on the website, so if someone isn't planning on logging their find online, they shouldn't take the bug. Geez, here I am adding more restrictions... I don't want to be accused of making more "rules"... sheesh!

I think it is cool when someone logs that they liked finding an item we've left. That is part of the reason I spend time putting thought into what we leave. I never leave junk.

My .02, for what THAT's worth these days...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

I think some people are in it for the fun, and not into tracking their progress. I log all my finds both in the book and on this site...but some folks just arent into it I guess. Thye like geocaching, but maybe just arent into the accounting part of it. At time I kinda wish someone could log all my finds for me, so that I could just hunt caches and have the website updated for me. Lets be honest, it can be a lot of work. Say you go out and find 8 caches in one day. At half of them you took WG dollars. You now have to create 8 different log entries, and then go to the WG site and log bills. Your talking at least an hour in front of the computer. I can see why some may avoid that.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I think some people are in it for the fun, and not into tracking their progress. I log all my finds both in the book and on this site...but some folks just arent into it I guess. They like geocaching, but maybe just aren’t into the accounting part of it.

Yet another example of the selfish trends our society has moved toward. Someone goes to the trouble to do the research and groundwork for placing a cache…then they go out and spend their own money to put the cache together, so that others can get some enjoyment out of being able to enjoy mother nature while having a fun challenge. And then, some people choose not to share their findings and/or appreciation online, just because they aren’t “into” that aspect of it.

I realize that there is no ‘requirement’ to log our finds online (with the exception of travel bugs), but in my opinion, unless a person has a valid excuse for not doing so, it’s rather thoughtless and selfish of them not to.

I understand that not everyone will share my viewpoint, and I place caches with the understanding that not everyone will log their finds online…and I accept that. I just don’t have to like it. If you feel differently, you’re entitled to do so. I’m not trying to start an argument here…just sharing my two cents.

Z

Irresponsible Geocachers... Yes, that is what I called everyone in my family who went with me last month and never logged their finds online. However, they all signed the logbook in the cache. I suppose since I logged it online they no longer felt responsible to do so also (hoping Mom and Dad don't read this nasty comment about them). That is my personal experience. I don't know if it is common among others who have taken friends along to introduce them to the sport.

txjacksons.gif

N34° 04.740' W98° 34.032'

I log the find in the cache's logbook.

quote:
I realize that there is no ‘requirement’ to log our finds online (with the exception of travel bugs), but in my opinion, unless a person has a valid excuse for not doing so, it’s rather thoughtless and selfish of them not to.

And why is it thoughtless and selfish?

If a cache owner visits a cache to restock and insures that cache is in good shape (and some do not, BTW in some of these cases I have not gotten responses to my emails letting an owner know that their cache is growing protozoa, or is just a bunch of rusty junk) then those who have found the cache will be known to the owner .

quote:
Irresponsible Geocachers
placing a cache in a National Park or Burying on Public land, now that's an Irresponsible Geocacher. Not writing an online log, now your reaching .

Geocaching is a hobby that I have decided not to keep score or to show off my results. The cache owner and myself know that I found a cache.

Sorry for the rant, but there is no need to be call people names and look down on others who enjoy playing the game some what different that you do. I take exception with being called an Irresponsible Geocache along with being thoughtless and selfish because I don't enter a find online.

Now go out and do some caching!

edited to remove large pic file

[This message was edited by Buckaroo Banzai on April 06, 2002 at 04:12 PM.]

Quote, It's the Way I play the game.

With out the online logs, it makes it much more difficult to track down who took a travel bug that they didn't log and decided to keep. With the logs, you can at least try to email them, without, you have nothing. "Maybe" you'll understand when you're on the other side of the equasion.

Clatmandu,

Very good point, in this case the online log must be used. I can see that there is no other choice and I'll say it would be truly irresponsible for a Geocacher not leaving an audit trail for a TB!

I have not had the chance to find a travel bug yet, the last one near me was found and sent on its way before I could get to it.

On a diffrent note I do remember a thread that discussed the lose of travel bugs. Can these MIAs be tracked down by their log enteries?

BB

[This message was edited by Buckaroo Banzai on April 06, 2002 at 04:13 PM.]

It seems to me that if you know enough to come here online and get the info you need, you should know enough to further explore the site and understand the rules. This is a geek game, isn't it? A game not just for outdoor enthusiasts, but geek outdoor enthusiats, those of us who not only like getting outside, but who also love techno gadgets, such as our computers, GPSr's, and so forth. Part of this game is not just the hunting, but the logging on, the internet community aspect, that's why it is online and not some lame newsletter or something.

The travel bug I was seeking still hasn't been logged, so who ever took it is too ignorant to know what to do, or too inconsiderate to take the time to do it. Another bug that was planted at a cache I visited Saturday was said to have been taken in the written log book, but it still hasn't been logged online, so anyone looking online would be expecting to find it there still. If people don't have the time to play the game right, they shouldn't play at all. I don't know why so many think everything should be done only on THIER terms, and that rules are for everyone else, or get bent out of shape if someone expects people to play by the rules.

Frankly I think that for the sake of all of the players who play by the rules, you should have to be REGISTERED and logged on to get any co-ordinates for cache locations, and part of the registration should be reading through an outline of expectations in playing the game and agreeing to follow them. I suppose these problems are less frequent with Members only caches, and while I am a member, and happy to do so in order to help keep this site up and running and defray the costs of maintaining it, I would rather not have to resort to placing members only caches once I begin placing caches. Access to members only caches was not my motivation to becoming a member, as I'm sure is the case with many other members.

It isn't hard to log on and let folks know you found a cache and what you took and left, you don't have to get detailed about the hunt or tell about anything that happened or add any color to the log, (though I love reading the more colorful logs) but at least putting the basics online for those of us, including the placer, would be nice. I like to be able to see when someone has taken my puts, and see who took them, and I like to see what others after me have found, plus I don't always have the time to read the hand written logs at the site, as sometimes you need to hurry up and put stuff back together so as not to draw too much attention from others in the area.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

[This message was edited by RAD Dad on April 02, 2002 at 12:56 PM.]

[This message was edited by RAD Dad on April 02, 2002 at 12:59 PM.]

Then why the Log book in the Cache?

quote:
This is a geek game, isn't it?

Funny, never look at it that way. I Geocache to bring together my love of the Outdoors, Mt. Biking, software development, Cartography, etc...

Look it's a game, but why the hostile responses to my posting regarding how I take part in it? I could understand this type of response if I when out of my way to offended some of the posters on this forum or if I was trolling (I am not). If did inadvertently offend then I would like to take this time to apologize.

BTW I have been registered as a Cacher for a while and just changed by ID. My reason was that I wanted to take a more active part in it and adopt this nick name. I have not become a member yet. Judging from the replies I've gotten it looks like I may not be welcomed in joining the Geocaching Family.

[This message was edited by Buckaroo Banzai on April 06, 2002 at 04:13 PM.]

No hostility intended, it's just that there are certain "rules" and folks who only want to play according to thier own version of the rules, or pick and choose rules are well, lets face it, kind of selfish. I see no reason why you would not be welcomed into the geocaching family, so long as you were willing to partake in the game as is expected by the others who play. I mean I am getting ready to place my first cache, I am spending money on it, taking time to set up the box, and find a good place to put it and I would like to think that those who go find it would take the time to log thier find online and let me know about when the found it, how they found it, what they took, what they left, and anything else they might think was intersting to say about thier hunt. Some of the log entries are VERY hard to read in these written logs, (some people have worse handwritting than myself, and that's saying a lot) also people tend not to be very detailed in the written logs as caches often aren't near a nice comfortable place to sit down and write out your thoughts.

So far as the enclosed log book goes, it's there not only for logging, but also as a keepsake for the placer, something physical you can hold on to, plus it's there so that someone who stumbles on by accident can log in too, also it serves as physical proof that "I found it".

On of the appealing things about geocaching is the lack of "rules". If a person chooses to play the game by finding and not logging the find that's entirely up the them. There is no way to enforce a requirement like that. I also don't believe that a person should be critized for how they play. This is an open game, open to all comers. The fewer "rules" the more will play. More players mean more caches to find. The more restrictions placed on players the fewer players and the game soon ends.

Buchroo Banzi -- I think you should be welcomed with open arms and encouraged to continue to play as suits you.

7301_400.jpg

No rules huh? So if someone's version of the game is looking up caches going to the location and stealing the whole thing, that would encourage more people to join? If someone else thinks it would be fun to place fecal material in the cache, and do so in as many as possible, more people would join in? Anarchy doesn't breed tranquility, it brings about strife, and eventually the game would just not be fun any more. Rules of conduct are what make games fun, for that matter they are what makes a game a game.Expecting people to play by rules may weed out those who wish to be disruptive to the game, or who are so self-centered that they would only be a distraction to the game. I like rules, many rules used to be unwritten, just basic rules of civil conduct, but as more and more people insist on not playing in a way that is considerate to others, unwritten rules become written, and so on.

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

No rules huh? So if someone's version of the game is looking up caches going to the location and stealing the whole thing, that would encourage more people to join? If someone else thinks it would be fun to place fecal material in the cache, and do so in as many as possible, more people would join in? Anarchy doesn't breed tranquility, it brings about strife, and eventually the game would just not be fun any more. Rules of conduct are what make games fun, for that matter they are what makes a game a game.

Unenforceable rules breed contempt for rules.

quote:

Expecting people to play by rules may weed out those who wish to be disruptive to the game, or who are so self-centered that they would only be a distraction to the game. I like rules, many rules used to be unwritten, just basic rules of civil conduct, but as more and more people insist on not playing in a way that is considerate to others, unwritten rules become written, and so on.

When a container is left someplace unattended there is no way to create or enforce rules. To whine and carry on about what happens after that container and it's contents are left unattended is useless. Therefore the best way to enjoy the activity is to encourage more caches and more players and accept that others may choose to play differently. Game is not a correct term for geocaching in general, some people can make a game of it if they choose and others may choose not to make a game of it. Tolerance for differences is what makes it work and will continue to make it work.

You can enjoy the activity your way and I can enjoy it mine. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. And we can be friends, if you wish.

7301_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

On of the appealing things about geocaching is the lack of "rules". If a person chooses to play the game by finding and not logging the find that's entirely up the them. There is no way to enforce a requirement like that. I also don't believe that a person should be critized for how they play. This is an open game, open to all comers. The fewer "rules" the more will play. More players mean more caches to find. The more restrictions placed on players the fewer players and the game soon ends.

Buchroo Banzi -- I think you should be welcomed with open arms and encouraged to continue to play as suits you.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/7301_400.jpg

The problem I see with this attitude is that the current scheme is this: cache hunters get rewarded by finding caches placed by the cache hiders. In turn, the cache hiders get rewarded by reading the logs written by the people who have hunted for caches.

In my mind, hunting for a cache and not giving the hider the satisfaction of reading a log entry is just as selfish as writing up a very enticing cache description, complete with clever puzzles, and making it public at www.geocaching.com, but not actually bothering to go hide a cache box.

After all, I'd get the fun of planning the cache, and it's only a convention that the cache planner actually hide something people can find. If I don't want to follow the rules, who has any right to complain?

It seems like a small thing, I know. But small things have a way of adding up, usually badly. If you don't do your part as a cache hunter (by signing the log book and making an online log) hiding caches becomes less fun. If it stops being fun, people will stop hiding them. And then you won't have any to go hunt. In an area where geocaching is pretty established, there's probably not much harm in not posting logs. In an area where geocaching is struggling to be established, it might make quite a difference

in how many caches people bother to hide.

And, in the end, I view the online log as just another way to say Thank You to the cache hider.

Sure, there's no way to force someone to say thanks. But it's certainly polite, and it's nicer to live in a world where people say please and thank you, even if it's not a legal issue.

Yesterday, I spent a very pleasant six hours hunting geocaches, for a total of nine finds. It took me less than 15 minutes to log all nine finds, working from notes that I took on the way. It's not like making online logs is an onerous burden.

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

The problem I see with this attitude is that the current scheme is this: cache hunters get rewarded by finding caches placed by the cache hiders. In turn, the cache hiders get rewarded by reading the logs written by the people who have hunted for caches.

In my mind, hunting for a cache and not giving the hider the satisfaction of reading a log entry is just as selfish as writing up a very enticing cache description, complete with clever puzzles, and making it public at http://www.geocaching.com, but not actually bothering to go hide a cache box.

After all, I'd get the fun of planning the cache, and it's only a convention that the cache planner actually hide something people can find. If I don't want to follow the rules, who has any right to complain?

It seems like a small thing, I know. But small things have a way of adding up, usually badly. If you don't do your part as a cache hunter (by signing the log book and making an online log) hiding caches becomes less fun. If it stops being fun, people will stop hiding them. And then you won't have any to go hunt. In an area where geocaching is pretty established, there's probably not much harm in not posting logs. In an area where geocaching is struggling to be established, it might make quite a difference

in how many caches people bother to hide.

And, in the end, I view the online log as just another way to say Thank You to the cache hider.

Sure, there's no way to force someone to say thanks. But it's certainly polite, and it's nicer to live in a world where people say please and thank you, even if it's not a legal issue.

Yesterday, I spent a very pleasant six hours hunting geocaches, for a total of nine finds. It took me less than 15 minutes to log all nine finds, working from notes that I took on the way. It's not like making online logs is an onerous burden.

There's a big difference between preferring that things happen in a particular way and demanding that they happen that way. In fact I agree that most enjoyment out of geocaching is sharing stories about the finds. When I hid a cache I want it to be found and logged both on the web page and in the log book. That, to me, is what it's all about. With that said, I believe it is pointless to try and demand or force others to do the same. It's great the most of us do the full log thing, including failures. I also know that I/we can't force any individual to play the same way. Even if you closed the web to the public and made it all memebers only, there's nothing that can stop members from finding and not bothing to log the find in the book or the web. The best we can hope for is that most of us will follow the agreed upon actions, including telling your story.

I think that most of us will continue to hide, find, trade, and tell our story. I also feel that those that don't are missing out on some of the fun. The only way I know of that might work is try to convience those the don't play the way we wish that they are missing something, which I think they are. If they can't be convienced to play our way then we have a choice, let them be or make them mad at us by trying to force them to play our way.

This is one of the more fun activities that's come along in many years. It can stop being fun if,

1. Most geocachers stop playing any one of hide, find, trade, log.

2. We try to force everybody to play hide, find, trade, log. I believe this could bring about 1. above.

7301_400.jpg

I agree that there just shouldn't be a lot of unenforceable rules... my rear isn't so tight that I expect everyone to think and act exactly as I do while enjoying this sport. But...

As was mentioned before, the person who plans, organizes and places a geocache is doing so because they want to see if others will come visit their creation and if they do, whether or not they enjoyed their visit. In some cases, a great deal of money and time goes into placing a cache. I believe that the person who seeks and finds the cache owes the owner the courtesy and consideration of letting them know it has been found, what condition it is in and their opinion on the subtibility of the area in general. It may be an ego-thing, but if only 1 in four visitors to my cache logged it online, I would become discouraged and stop placing caches.

The same is true for Travel Bugs. They cost money. There is a bit of thought that goes into the item/bug/attachment to that little tag, and the story surrounding it that encourages others to pick them up and share their geocaching travels with the little visitors before leaving them for someone else to share. A TB needs it's placement, pick-ups and drop-offs, recorded on the website in order for the mileage, etc. to get calculated. If one cannot be considerate enough to post the pick-up and placement of TB's, they shouldn't take them from caches.

Yeah!

---

RedwoodRed (trying to refrain from adding my "long and overly cutsie" tagline/sig).

Agreed - Part of what makes Geocaching so much fun is the lack of rules, restrictions and All Are Welcome. That is the very reason why I support Logging Your Visit Online! It is called being part of the community. There are so few rules, that it seems we, as a community of geocachers, should be able to at least get the coordinates online, find the cache, and return online to log our visit.

Question to those who visit caches and pickup travel-bugs without logging them online:

What is the difference between you and a thief or vandal? Caches aren't meant for just anyone. If they were, they'd be left out in plain site. But they are not. They are for those who follow the 3 simple steps (rules if you may).

Has anyone in this community hidden a cache and requested that no one log it online? I don't know of anyone. An example: A cache I resently saw online was behind someone's house. When cachers visited the site, the dogs bark, the owner runs out and takes a picture and posts it online. His enjoyment is seeing and knowning others are having fun finding the cache he placed.

txjacksons.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai:

And why is it thoughtless and selfish?

I thought I explained this in my original post, but since you asked, I’ll try to clarify (with a little help from Mr. Webster):

thoughtless: "Devoid of consideration for others."

selfish: "Concerned only or primarily with oneself, without regard for others."

Knowing that one of the primary motivations of placing a cache is to get feedback, if a person chooses not to give that feedback, it seems clear to me that they are thinking primarily of themselves (too much bother or inconvenience to go through the effort, even though they know the person would appreciate the gesture).

And yes, there's also the physical log. (There are some who don't even sign that...but I'll leave that tangent for another discussion.) However, assuming that the physical log has been signed, what if the cache gets plundered, and the log is stolen or destroyed? The record is permanently gone. Also, the online log gives much more TIMELY feedback, so a cache owner can respond to any issues that might come up. Plus, not only do the cache owners appreciate the online logs, other cachers enjoy them as well. They can save the person a wasted or disappointing trip if the cache is missing or unreachable. And in addition to those who are intending to seek the cache, there are many more (possibly nowhere near the area) who enjoy reading the stories and experiences.

On the other hand, if I am incorrect in my assumption that people realize that the cache hiders would appreciate some feedback, then in those instances, it's not a case of selfishness, but rather ignorance ("unaware, uninformed, or oblivious"). Perhaps there are people out there who honestly feel they are entitled to something for nothing...that it's ok for them to take, without giving in return. I guess those people believe that others are out there placing caches for no other reason than for them to enjoy going out and finding them.

Since you asked for clarification on why I felt it was thoughtless and selfish to not sign the online log, I'm curious to hear the reverse perspective: Please help me understand how those same actions could be interpreted to be thoughtful and considerate of others? Perhaps I'm the ignorant one...and unaware of how it's benefiting me (or anyone other than yourself) for you NOT to sign the online log.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I agree it's not benefitting you, but it's also not necessarily to your detriment.

Good point. I guess I wasn't leaving much room for middle ground, was I? (But still, even if it's not hurting anyone else, if my action (or inaction) is not doing something positive for someone else, wouldn't it qualify as being done (or not done) for MY sole interest, and without regarding how it affects anyone else? It still counts as "selfish" behavior by the above definition. Being selfish, or not thinking of others, doesn't have to mean that you're hurting someone.)

quote:
Some logs are a joy to read;

Yes! (which is one of the reasons I enjoy this sport so much...other than the getting out myself and seeing the great locations, and the clever ideas people come up with) icon_smile.gif

quote:
many don't have much to offer.

True. I guess not EVERY find can be exciting or informative...and not every cacher is a natural storyteller. (But I at least respect those who give their feedback, no matter how basic.)

quote:
But some logs are best left unread. icon_wink.gif

Boy, ain't THAT the truth! (The words "TMI" have come to mind more than once when I've been reading logs. LOL)

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on April 03, 2002 at 11:00 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I agree it's not benefitting you, but it's also not necessarily to your detriment.

Good point. I guess I wasn't leaving much room for middle ground, was I? (But still, even if it's not hurting anyone else, if my action (or inaction) is not doing something positive for someone else, wouldn't it qualify as being done (or not done) for MY sole interest, and without regarding how it affects anyone else? It still counts as "selfish" behavior by the above definition. Being selfish, or not thinking of others, doesn't have to mean that you're hurting someone.)

quote:
Some logs are a joy to read;

Yes! (which is one of the reasons I enjoy this sport so much...other than the getting out myself and seeing the great locations, and the clever ideas people come up with) icon_smile.gif

quote:
many don't have much to offer.

True. I guess not EVERY find can be exciting or informative...and not every cacher is a natural storyteller. (But I at least respect those who give their feedback, no matter how basic.)

quote:
But some logs are best left unread. icon_wink.gif

Boy, ain't THAT the truth! (The words "TMI" have come to mind more than once when I've been reading logs. LOL)

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on April 03, 2002 at 11:00 AM.]

I believe that there are many people out there who choose not to log their finds for whatever reason. I think that is their option as long as they are playing by the rules of the game otherwise. An alternative answer to at least some of missing logs might be answered by the existence of other sites where caches are maintained. See here for an exampleNavicache I have seen that most of the ones listed around my area from this sight are also listed on the Geocaching.com site, so I have not joined in there. (I can't keep up with the ones from Geocaching.com already icon_biggrin.gif .

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

I believe that there are many people out there who choose not to log their finds for whatever reason. I think that is their option as long as they are playing by the rules of the game otherwise. An alternative answer to at least some of missing logs might be answered by the existence of other sites where caches are maintained. See here for an exampleNavicache I have seen that most of the ones listed around my area from this sight are also listed on the Geocaching.com site, so I have not joined in there. (I can't keep up with the ones from Geocaching.com already icon_biggrin.gif .

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!