Golden Rule

A topic that has been hashed rehashed then mashed. However let's give it another slant. I like to refer to it as the 'Geo' Golden Rule. Always leave a cache better than you found it. The people I have turned onto the sport have invariably heard this come out of my mouth. Now, having said that, the question. How do you leave a cache?

11902_900.gif

[This message was edited by cache-potato on March 16, 2002 at 02:15 PM.]

Something to consider besides the contents of the cache container is the manner in which one rehides the cache.

I have often noticed that over time, many caches with higher difficulty ratings seem to become less and less well hidden . . . I have encountered a few caches that were supposedly "4-star finds" when placed that were sitting out in plain view.

So it's at least equally important that finders make the effort to rehide the cache as best they can to match the cache owner's original rating.

If I'm caching with the kids, they like to trade, so I always try to leave it a little richer than I found it, especially if the cache is looking a little picked-over.

If it's just me, I usually don't trade anything unless I see something really cool that I have to have. Otherwise, I'll leave one of my signature items (a geocaching ceramic tile) and maybe a $1 coin.

I always try to re-hide the cache as good as I'd like to see it hidden if I were the cache owner. I often come across caches which are barely covered, etc., and susceptible to plundering.

Lately I've been finding caches that are not hidden in "safe" locations (not much I can do about that) or don't have a geocaching letter or aren't water tight, etc., so I've started carrying extra ziplocs and geocaching letters to put in them.

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

How do you leave a cache?

Hmmm ... I wonder if the people who leave this kind of stuff will answer your poll honestly. icon_confused.gif

cache_junk.jpg

All of this came from one cache during a maintenance visit, which didn't start out with any junk in it.

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:

How do you leave a cache?

Hmmm ... I wonder if the people who leave this kind of stuff will answer your poll honestly. icon_confused.gif

cache_junk.jpg

All of this came from one cache during a maintenance visit, which didn't start out with any junk in it.

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

All of this came from _one_ cache during a maintenance visit, which didn't start out with any junk in it.

The same people that open their door at a stop light and empty out a full ashtray ... with no embrassment ... probably visited that cache icon_mad.gif

And if you read this post ... and recognize some of the stuff in Rich's photo ... I hope you take offense at my response ... then go out and get a sense of responsibility.

Sorry to everyone else but that just elevates my blood pressure !

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

All of this came from _one_ cache during a maintenance visit, which didn't start out with any junk in it.

The same people that open their door at a stop light and empty out a full ashtray ... with no embrassment ... probably visited that cache icon_mad.gif

And if you read this post ... and recognize some of the stuff in Rich's photo ... I hope you take offense at my response ... then go out and get a sense of responsibility.

Sorry to everyone else but that just elevates my blood pressure !

348_1002.gif

What's with leaving matches, lighters and other highly flammable substances in caches? Is this the result of armchair adventurers watching too many Chuck Norris movies? These kinds of things are definitely NOT appropriate in parks, forests and similar recreation areas, particularly during drought seasons like we are currently experiencing! I have just read a few cache found logs where somebody is leaving bottle rockets as trade items. Uffda!!! icon_eek.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

What's with leaving matches, lighters and other highly flammable substances in caches? Is this the result of armchair adventurers watching too many Chuck Norris movies? These kinds of things are definitely NOT appropriate in parks, forests and similar recreation areas, particularly during drought seasons like we are currently experiencing! I have just read a few cache found logs where somebody is leaving bottle rockets as trade items. Uffda!!! icon_eek.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

I traded when I first started caching. But it soon become pointless. I started the day with one thing, put that in the first cache, put what I took from the first cache into the second cache and so on until I had 1 item left which would be my first trade the next time I cached. About that time, I realized that all of this trading is pointless for me. So I now rarely trade, only if there is something I want, like one of the original geocoins. I will move travel bugs without exchanging anything. There was a thread long ago where we decided that travel bugs were independent of other trading so I feel OK doing that.

rdw

I don't agree with any of the poll choices.

Part of the Geocaching game is treasure hunting: Getting a prize in reward for finding a cache. If you consider it a 'golden rule' to always trade up, then you are dismissing part of the game.

Some people will always leave more than they take and some will take more then they leave.

Some people will drop off a nice prize and take nothing, some people will pick a nice prize and leave nothing. It's part of the game, and will even out. Being overly concerned about cache degridations takes away part of the fun. By all means, go out and restock caches sometimes, but don't begrudge other for enjoying thier reward!

P.S. I just added a laser pointer to Vid.Ex. during a maintenence visit today...go get it!

Oh, and if it's you, Cache-potato, trade up! [:D]

ApK

quote:

A topic that has been hashed rehashed then mashed. However let's give it another slant. I like to refer to it as the 'Geo' Golden Rule. _Always leave a cache better than you found it._ The people I have turned onto the sport have invaribly heard this come out of my mouth. Now, having said that, the question. How do you leave a cache?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/11902_900.gif

I don't agree with any of the poll choices.

Part of the Geocaching game is treasure hunting: Getting a prize in reward for finding a cache. If you consider it a 'golden rule' to always trade up, then you are dismissing part of the game.

Some people will always leave more than they take and some will take more then they leave.

Some people will drop off a nice prize and take nothing, some people will pick a nice prize and leave nothing. It's part of the game, and will even out. Being overly concerned about cache degridations takes away part of the fun. By all means, go out and restock caches sometimes, but don't begrudge other for enjoying thier reward!

P.S. I just added a laser pointer to Vid.Ex. during a maintenence visit today...go get it!

Oh, and if it's you, Cache-potato, trade up! [icon_wink.gif]

ApK

quote:

A topic that has been hashed rehashed then mashed. However let's give it another slant. I like to refer to it as the 'Geo' Golden Rule. _Always leave a cache better than you found it._ The people I have turned onto the sport have invaribly heard this come out of my mouth. Now, having said that, the question. How do you leave a cache?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/11902_900.gif

Originally posted by ApK:

... edit ...

Some people will drop off a nice prize and take nothing, some people will pick a nice prize and leave nothing. It's part of the game, and will even out.

I'm not too sure it 'evens out'. Most cache contents seem to deteriorate over time.

I personally like to leave decent stuff in caches. I buy toys and gadgets in the $2-3 range. Stuff for kids and grown ups. Even dogs! Sometimes I leave a custom Music CD. It's fun passing along neat stuff!

Oh, well, there's .02 for you.

Bluespreacher

quote:

It's part of the game, and will even out. Being overly concerned about cache degridations takes away part of the fun.

Sorry, ApK, I disagree. Cache degradation has been discussed here before and many consider it to be an issue of considerable importance. New cachers (like yourself) might be turned off when on their first few caches all they find is geotrash. Doesn't look good for our sport. Park managers could also decide to pull caches permanently if, when they check on them, all they find is crap. And I've never seen it even out. Occasionally, some of the cachers here will "upgrade" a cache and it is very much appreciated. It's good for everyone. But, leaving less than you took is not "part of the game", it's part of a problem with the game. One we should all try to correct.

geospotter

APK brings up a valid point. Ocassionally (and I love it when this happens) the hider will put in some big ticket items. When this does happen, I believe the hider has no expectations of the finder leaving 'equal or greater'. Case in point: 100 BUCKS! Faithwalker, DaMama and Catwoman hit it big. Isn't that great? Sometimes the cache owner puts a nice reward for the first finder with (I'm sure) no expectations of an equitable trade being made. And, I am sure, that from time to time expensive items are cached to reward the finders for a long or arduous journey to the location. BUT in THIS poll and on THIS topic we would like to speak in generalities. Faithwalker, DaMama and Catwoman, however fortunate, (ok I'm jealous) are the exception and not the rule. --CP

11902_900.gif

[This message was edited by cache-potato on March 16, 2002 at 02:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Sorry, ApK, I disagree. Cache degradation has been discussed here before and many consider it to be an issue of considerable importance. New cachers (like yourself) might be turned off when on their first few caches all they find is geotrash. Doesn't look good for our sport. Park managers could also decide to pull caches permanently if, when they check on them, all they find is crap. And I've never seen it even out. Occasionally, some of the cachers here will "upgrade" a cache and it is very much appreciated. It's good for everyone. But, leaving less than you took is not "part of the game", it's part of a problem with the game. One we should all try to correct.

geospotter

Then why leave containers of keychains and chachkies in the woods? Just cache a log book and pen, and, unless someone steals the pen, it can't be degraded! Or forbid any cache contents other then then, say, calling cards or other trivial-value signature items for souveniers.

I don't think that would be as much fun, though.

Is the point of this game to maintain the dollar-value of hidden tupperware containers?

You want, in part, for first timers to have a good experience. Sure. Newbees should be EXPECTED to trade down. If someone finds thier first cache, and it has all great stuff in it, should they not take anything, because all they have in thier pocket is a golf tee and a guitar pick? What fun is that?

I think more to the point, or at least more in spirit with what you say above, would be not to ask "not to trade down", but simply "to leave something you think is nice."

After all, 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' and all that. I might think that a used 10 cent super ball is just swell ( I love those things), and be happy to trade a laser pointer for it (I get laser pointers cheap...). Someone else might consider it a degradation.

I guess my main problem with over-concern for degradation is losing the 'treasure' aspect of the game. If returning dollar-for-dollar (or more typically, dime-for-dime) value has got to be the golden rule, then perhaps the golden rule should be to CREATE caches with items equal to or better then the prizes you have taken? How's that sound? Then, at least, you can enjoy the reward of the moment of discovery, and still keep the game worth playing for others.

BTW, you call me new, but in a game that's only existed for less than 2 years, who ISN'T new?

ApK,

First let me say that I agree with a number of your points. I, too, like those super balls!

Second, perhaps the proper wording should be, as you say, leave something you think is nice. Most caches contain a variety of values and while I would like to think that most people would be fair in their trades, this, in my experience, isn't always the case. And soon we are left with 5 or 6 old golf balls, broken toys, and a surgical glove (which I found in a cache). My wife now refuses to even touch most caches. If all you have with you is a golf tee, take one of the used golf balls instead of the PDA. Maintaining the dollar-value of the cache is not the POINT of the game, but it is a part of it.

You say create caches with prizes better than the ones I have found. I am doing exactly that. My new cache contains nearly 60 items ranging from 25-cent items to $5 items. It will take some effort to find so I will reward those that do. Will they trade fairly? Most will, some won't. All I'm trying to do here is educate some of the readers to be reasonable.

You mention leaving nothing in the cache except a logbook. That's a different sport called letterboxing.

Finally, I agree with you regarding being new at this. As I have pointed out before this game is only 100 weeks old. We're all newbies.

I don't know where you're located, but if you ever get out to Massachusetts, give me holler and we'll check out some caches.

geospotter

I think that cache degeneration happens whether you want it to or not and that's where maintenance comes in. If it's important to you to have a wider selection of things then by all means, stock it up and keep an eye on the contents!

I can say, on our very first geocache hunt, that we were fortunate to find a cache that had a wide array of items. We were impressed with the thought put into the theme of the cache and we didn't know at that time that there are some people who will leave nothing but garbage behind. We learned that one the hard way with our first hidden cache----retrieved it for some mainentance and repair and found bottle caps inside.

quote:

Then why leave containers of keychains and chachkies in the woods? Just cache a log book and pen, and, unless someone steals the pen, it can't be degraded! Or forbid any cache contents other then then, say, calling cards or other trivial-value signature items for souveniers.

I don't think that would be as much fun, though.

Just my 2 cents here:

Going down my list of 10 most memorable caches, the top ones were all pretty much logbook only caches.(one didn't even have a pen)

A good portion of the rest of the list I either traded nothing, or just swapped wheresgeorge dollars. So I guess, if the reason your caching is for the hunt, the fresh air, the exercise, the time alone or the time spent with family, then trinket-less caches are still loads of fun. If I JUST wanted the trinkets, I'd buy extras for myself while shopping for cache goodies at Dollar Tree.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

If your tired of setting up chachkie caches why not consider doing the old Letterbox type cash.

You leave a log book, a unique stamp for your cache, a pen and maybe an ink pad.

The finder stamps thier logbook with the caches stamp and leaves a log entry with thier stamp in the caches log book.

This way you go away with some mark that you were at the site and you leave your mark there as well.

ANother route would be using QSL cards. This goes further back in the letterboxing history than stamping.

Bacicaly the cache maintainer prints up a slew of specialized cards ( post card style, biz style or waht have you) and leaves them in the cache with the log book,

The finder takes one of the caches cards, leaves one of thier perosnalized cards and marks the log book. They can then make a collection of cool cards from each site.

This sort of thing has been going on in the shortwave radio world for decades.

There is no reason why the sport cant mutate someicon_smile.gif-

Just some thoughts.

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

If your tired of setting up chachkie caches why not consider doing the old Letterbox type cash.

You leave a log book, a unique stamp for your cache, a pen and maybe an ink pad.

The finder stamps thier logbook with the caches stamp and leaves a log entry with thier stamp in the caches log book.

This way you go away with some mark that you were at the site and you leave your mark there as well.

ANother route would be using QSL cards. This goes further back in the letterboxing history than stamping.

Bacicaly the cache maintainer prints up a slew of specialized cards ( post card style, biz style or waht have you) and leaves them in the cache with the log book,

The finder takes one of the caches cards, leaves one of thier perosnalized cards and marks the log book. They can then make a collection of cool cards from each site.

This sort of thing has been going on in the shortwave radio world for decades.

There is no reason why the sport cant mutate some:)-

Just some thoughts.

-tom

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I generally like to make sure that the item in question is adequately hidden. If it seems to be easily spotted by any stick in the mud, I'll make the effort to 'tuck it in' a bit-- hoping that the original cacher won't mind. We all have some amount of leeway about rehiding caches-- so long as we don't move it twenty feet-- or put it on our porch.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

Those are fine, but my point is, I LIKE chachkie caches! (May we make that the official name now?)

It's FUN to find a hidden prize! And, sure, if I find an item I musthave while out buying cache prizes, I'll get an extra, as some one mentioned, but that's not the same as FINDING it, have the stories and the memories attached to a physical item. It just seems a tad cooler to say think "yeah, I earned this superball. I was hanging over a cliff and navigating to a hidden treasure cache." then to just feel "I traded a slightly better superball for this."

QSLs are great, orienteering is great, hiking is great, spending time outdoors with friends is great. Getting a prize is great, too. That's all I mean. Time to go and re-stock Nymph now....

quote:

Those are fine, but my point is, I LIKE chachkie caches! (May we make that the official name now?)

It's FUN to find a hidden prize! And, sure, if I find an item I musthave while out buying cache prizes, I'll get an extra, as some one mentioned, but that's not the same as FINDING it, have the stories and the memories attached to a physical item.

I agree with ya. The chachkies we have found bring back great memeories.

THe QSL and LEtterboxing types can be done in conjuction with chachkies, I dont see any reason to make all caches be of just ONE type.

This way more than one type of geocacher can go away from a cache both leaving and taking the type they want.

Im not saying ALL caches should be this sort of Everything to Everyone cache either, that would make folks a tad testy in setting up a cache.

Its just..well...dealers choice:)-

choices are good.

-tom

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:

It's FUN to find a hidden prize! And, sure, if I find an item I musthave while out buying cache prizes, I'll get an extra, as some one mentioned, but that's not the same as FINDING it, have the stories and the memories attached to a physical item.

I agree with ya. The chachkies we have found bring back great memeories.

THe QSL and LEtterboxing types can be done in conjuction with chachkies, I dont see any reason to make all caches be of just ONE type.

This way more than one type of geocacher can go away from a cache both leaving and taking the type they want.

Im not saying ALL caches should be this sort of Everything to Everyone cache either, that would make folks a tad testy in setting up a cache.

Its just..well...dealers choiceicon_smile.gif-

choices are good.

-tom

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I was just wondering. Can I clean up a cache that has some items like Rich showed us, even if the cache is not mine? Some one out my way was offended when they found a prophlactic (sp) in a cache. If I got there first I think I would have disposed of it.

I usually leave my hand made fishing flys without taking anything but some times I find something unusual that I want and I always keep something tucked in my pack for just such an occasion.

Bob icon_biggrin.gif

I was just wondering. Can I clean up a cache that has some items like Rich showed us, even if the cache is not mine? Some one out my way was offended when they found a prophlactic (sp) in a cache. If I got there first I think I would have disposed of it.

I usually leave my hand made fishing flys without taking anything but some times I find something unusual that I want and I always keep something tucked in my pack for just such an occasion.

Bob icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Something to consider besides the contents of the cache container is the manner in which one rehides the cache.

Over the last month or so, I've had 3 or 4 instances when I’ve found cigarette butts smashed into the ground within 2 feet of a cache. After finding two cigarette butts on a hunt, I actually looked for the butt at the next cache and guess what? Amongst the brown pine straw lying on the ground, a white butt sticking out like a sore thumb. The cache was a foot away.

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

Bob icon_biggrin.gif

Coincidentally, in a cache I found today was a condom. I thought it offensive considering children might be there, but chances are there would be an adult anyway. I did think about removing it but change my mind. I felt that if everyone decided what was right and wrong with what's in a cache and removed it wouldn't be right. What if someone just didn't like the cache itself? So I notified the cache hider and left it up to him/her to decide what to do.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

Bob icon_biggrin.gif

Coincidentally, in a cache I found today was a condom. I thought it offensive considering children might be there, but chances are there would be an adult anyway. I did think about removing it but change my mind. I felt that if everyone decided what was right and wrong with what's in a cache and removed it wouldn't be right. What if someone just didn't like the cache itself? So I notified the cache hider and left it up to him/her to decide what to do.

Alan

I've noticed that in many caches, the value of the prizes goes down, but the number of items in the caches goes up. A cache may start out with 5 nice items, and end up with 30 small, cheap items. We seem to get a lot of "Took nothing, left a small whatever" logs in caches near me. Many of the caches I see are so stuffed with small items, it's difficult to get the lid back on.

Personally, I prefer smaller, less expensive stuff. When you knock out 5-10 caches in an afternoon with two young kids that HAVE TO get something out of every cache, it can get rather expensive if everything in a cache is 2 or 3 bucks. I appreciate the small, cheap stuff. It makes my kids happy, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. And I can more easily upgrade with my trades. I certainly don't mind finding really nice stuff in a cache, but I rarely trade for it.

25021_1200.gif

TeamWSMF has done a few instance of CacheCleanup.

In one cache we found an empty Smirnof Ice Bottle, in another some of the bark got into the inside, in another there was some scraps.

AS a rule we try to leave the cache not only richer but cleaner than we found it.

-tom

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

NOTICE TO DFW AREA CACHERS:

If you find any of the following items in any of my caches, you hereby have my permission to remove them and throw them away:

Alcoholic beverages

Condoms

Drugs

Explosives

Ammo

Cigarettes, lighters, matches

Food items

Used golf balls

Broken toys

Broken knick-knacks

Anything else that could be considered trash like empty bottles, ticket stubs, etc.

The bottom line is that I'd consider it a favor to help me keep my caches cleaned up and appropriate for everyone.

By the way, something we have done when we were unsure if something really belonged or not is to "trade" for the item, them go throw the "traded for" item away. Weve done that a few times when there was something we thought didn't belong. Some may say we are "forcing" our moral judgements on everyone else, but the bottom line is we traded fairly for the item, no differently than someone that might have actually wanted the item in question. As I see it, we all have the right to trade for an item whether or not we keep it afterwards.

Also, in reference to the idea that kids will have parents with them so some stuff is ok: I think this is a false assumption, especially in more urbanized areas. Pre-teens are the most likely group to stumble upon such a cache and plunder it. Think about it from that perspective when deciding about appropriate contents.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

i try to upgrade caches when i can. sometimes i too have experienced the "uh oh, i didnt bring anything" moment. i visited a music swap cache not too long ago and i planned on bringing some music with me but i absentmindedly forgot. i left a "wheres george" $5 at the cache instead. i felt it was in line with what i took. if i dont have something to swap then i leave a few wheresgeorge bucks if i'm taking something. if i dont take something i swap the george or i just leave a george.

i go out of my way to make mine rewarding. if people take the good stuff then fine. i dont get worked up about it. if you leave me golfballs, tennisballs or other crap then i get upset. that dirty nasty golfball was in the dirt for a reason. do you really think somebody will be happy to see it staring at them when they open up the cache?

i feel better now.

have a nice day. please drive thru.

URBO

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I completely agree with Brokenwing.

Just a couple of things:

1. Not all smokers are rude. At least I try not to be. Yes, I'm old, fat and smoke too much. The outdoors has always been my refuge and I try to leave it in better condition than I found it. Even to the point of putting my butts in my pocket to put in a trash can later. I only drink coffee or diet coke yet what I find almost everywhere is empty beer bottles and cans. I take trash out with me, my own and others.

2. Guess I am realy getting old. When I grew up (and still think this way) a knife was a tool. I usually have a pocket knife on me. NOT AS A WEAPON! Whittling when I was a kid was fun. As a scuba diver you better have a knife on you if you want to get untangled from the fishing line. I have even had moronic moments in the woods where I have gotten tangled up in vines. Easier to cut your way out. I am always looking to add trade items my bag. I recently saw a good deal on small pocket knives and was going back to get a few. Now I'm glad I didn't.

3. A cache should always be like life, try to leave it in better shape than you found it. There are too many people around that think only about themselves and it shows everywhere they go.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

By the way, add knives to my list. We have seen a great many knives in local caches. I say leave all weapons out.

Better Leave out pens and pencils, then, too. And pins. and paper...papercuts are nasty....hoplophobia rears it's ugly head.