Think YOU have the best unit?? Check this out

That looks like the kind of antenna I used to place overseas to get correct time.

I built a few TV facilities in Hong Kong & Singapore, and we used GPS receivers to get the correct time.

Placing the reciever on top of a 50 story building in Hong Kong gave me the willies. The receiver locked very fast with such an unobstructed view of the sky.

Looks like that along w/ gps uses a radio antennia to do true dGPS (not WAAS which is nice too and a lot more compact).

For my purposes the 3+ does all I need even though I've been tempted by the V.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

I don't know... Looks like the kind of guy who ends-up getting shot by a hunter deep into his second six-pack...Charlie

Gee Lars/Charlie! You're a comedian!? It didn't say that in your profile!

You insult me and tens of thousands of hunters like me who would never drink irresponsibly (I don't imbibe at all) much less carry a weapon while under the influence of alcohol. Please, there are B.B.s out there where you can climb on your stump and perpetuate the myth of stupid, drunken hunters who would shoot at anything that moved, but lets keep this B.B. on it's given track, M'kay?

To the point of this thread, I wonder how much the state of Oregon paid for a GPSr to map out hiking trails, unless of course, he borrowed the unit from the DMV or engineering dept. for the afternoon. Doubtful!

boo2.jpg

I worked for county Parks & Rec for almost a year and half doing nothing but mapping out the trails and other assets in our county parks using that same rig (looks to be a Trimble Pathfinder ProXR). It's fabulously sophisticated and can be accurate to within centimeters if you process the data correctly. On the other hand, park goers LOVE to make fun of you: "Hey there, buddy! What's that toilet plunger stickin' out of your yellow backpack?!". icon_rolleyes.gif That unit is also VERY expensive, to the tune of $8000-$9000 with training, support, software, etc. Two long stories short - on my first day solo out in the field, I lost the handheld portion in the forest for a good four hours (yikes!) and during one of my last few weeks before I switched departments, my partner and I flipped our Jeep deep in a park. I think we did more harm than good for the Parks Dept.! icon_razz.gif

*Barefoot*

I worked for county Parks & Rec for almost a year and half doing nothing but mapping out the trails and other assets in our county parks using that same rig (looks to be a Trimble Pathfinder ProXR). It's fabulously sophisticated and can be accurate to within centimeters if you process the data correctly. On the other hand, park goers LOVE to make fun of you: "Hey there, buddy! What's that toilet plunger stickin' out of your yellow backpack?!". icon_rolleyes.gif That unit is also VERY expensive, to the tune of $8000-$9000 with training, support, software, etc. Two long stories short - on my first day solo out in the field, I lost the handheld portion in the forest for a good four hours (yikes!) and during one of my last few weeks before I switched departments, my partner and I flipped our Jeep deep in a park. I think we did more harm than good for the Parks Dept.! icon_razz.gif

*Barefoot*

I set the unit on top of the Jeep while packing up the rest of my gear, forgot I had done so, and then motored off to another area a few miles away. Needless to say, I went cold from head to toe once I realized what I had done! It took me a few hours to locate the unit as it had fallen down a moderately steep ravine and under some chaparral. There's a good reason why those GPSRs are violent yellow in color!

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I went up to the guy and asked him about it, told him about geocaching. He got real interested about it and said he has a BIG advantage. icon_smile.gif

The Trimble would be cool to have for placing caches. I get really tired of people saying coordinates are off. But in locating caches there's little advantage in having a receiver that's more accurate than that of the person who placed the cache. The Trimbles also lack the navigational features geocachers use.

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I went up to the guy and asked him about it, told him about geocaching. He got real interested about it and said he has a BIG advantage. icon_smile.gif

The Trimble would be cool to have for placing caches. I get really tired of people saying coordinates are off. But in locating caches there's little advantage in having a receiver that's more accurate than that of the person who placed the cache. The Trimbles also lack the navigational features geocachers use.

I was looking for a local cache a couple of days ago. I was walking up a road closed to vehicle traffic and three guys were walking down it, one of them had that unit on. I'm in the same area as Lazyboy & Mitey Mite -- made me laugh having just seen this post and then the same day going out for a hike and seeing somebody actually wearing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

They've been using that in my city to map the sidewalks as Tallahassee is the most pedestrian-unfirendly town I've ever lived in.

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/abduct.gif

I live in Tallahassee also and have seen someone driving around with a similar looking setup stuck to the roof of their car. They were driving all of the streets in my neighboorhood. Looks like they were maping out the place.

Chris

quote:
Originally

I agree with what you said, I just didn't want to post that was long. I HATE typing.... icon_smile.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

quote:
Originally

I agree with what you said, I just didn't want to post that was long. I HATE typing.... icon_smile.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

All things are relative to cost and basically refinements in the software capability. Still only a single frequency receiver with accuracy dependent on the mode of operation.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

All things are relative to cost and basically refinements in the software capability. Still only a single frequency receiver with accuracy dependent on the mode of operation.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif