Jeremy's Fast Response

mrcpu

Over the last few months I have forwarded feature requests to J. and found that while eventually the changes were made, there was a definate lag between request and action.

THINGS HAVE CHANGED!!!!

I've watched the number of feature changes and fixes (Like the custom title) increase very quickly in the last few days!!!!

This is great! Anyone know why?

Because FINALLY J. has created the two tier system that allows both free Gcing that we are used to AND more importantly Cash Flow.

I'm sick and tired of the self centered people who are opposed to this. They obviously live in a fantasy world where everything is free and have no grip on reality!

Jeremy, Thank you for doing this. I hope my previous emails to you regarding this and UserFriendly.org were an influence and I hope you make your first Million before you're 40!!!

(P.S. Cheque is in the mail!) icon_wink.gif

Rob

I find it amazing how many people are willing to reap the advantages of other people's hard work, but act outraged when something extra is offered at a nominal fee...even when nothing is being taken away from them. It's as if they think they are owed free services.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for people like Jeremy to get so little thanks for their efforts. I applaud (and thank) him for having stuck with it, despite the poor attitudes many have exhibited.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I find it amazing how many people are willing to reap the advantages of other people's hard work, but act outraged when something extra is offered at a nominal fee

I've been following the forums quite closely in the last few days and I've not seen too many people "outraged" over Jeremy's apparent decision to change Geocaching from a hobby to a business. I've seen healthy response from his prospective customers commenting on new features that they think may negatively affect the site. Jeremy's business success depends on this feedback so he can develop the most attractive product possible and ensure that his customer base grows. I think the business model is much better for the sport and is going to bring much better features as it has already done.

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I've watched the number of feature changes and fixes (Like the custom title) increase very quickly in the last few days!!!!

This is great! Anyone know why?

Because Jeremy isn't bothering with sleep so much these days. By my reckoning he had less than five hours last night. icon_eek.gif

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Ahhhh.. you truly are from Toronto.

I'm not entirely sure what that means. I'm physically living in this craphole city right now and yes, I was born here but I spent 20 years living in the country and I grew up in an area where I spent every weekend out in the woods.

I hate the city and I hate the fact that I have to live here. Someday I would like to move to a cabin in the woods with a helipad but then I guess that would be fantasy world for sure!!!

icon_razz.gif

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I find it amazing how many people are willing to reap the advantages of other people's hard work, but act outraged when something extra is offered at a nominal fee

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I've been following the forums quite closely in the last few days and I've not seen too many people "outraged" over Jeremy's apparent decision to change Geocaching from a hobby to a business. I've seen healthy response from his prospective customers commenting on new features that they think may negatively affect the site.

Have you read this forum, or the more recent replies on this one?

Sure, I've seen some 'healthy responses' and constructive criticism, but amongst those posts seem to be a lot of whining from people who don't appear to be 'prospective customers' as long as there's any kind of pricetag attached.

quote:

Have you read http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=8340911793&r=3170941793#3170941793 forum, or the more recent replies on http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=5980944593 one?

Yes I have read all of these -- although I agree some responses have had a whining (and sometimes rude) tone to them -- the gripes are overall legitimate (not necessarily correct but legitimate). The main complaints are MOC's (being construed as "pay for play" and identification of paid up members. There are valid arguments that these changes may impact on the utility and inclusiveness of the site (I don't happen to agree) which could impact on the value of the site from a customer's point of view. I am certain that Jeremy would much rather have these concerns brought to his attention than having them surpressed --- they are much more useful to him and the site than a bunch of "thank you Jeremy" posts (don't get me wrong - if you are thankful for Jeremy's efforts - by all means , say so). OK OK - I will say so... Thank you Jeremy (I tried to put a "smilie" here but it wouldn't work :-))

A Happy (soon-to-be) Customer

Quote from Seneca:

"The main complaints are MOC's (being construed as "pay for play" and identification of paid up members. There are valid arguments that these changes may impact on the utility and inclusiveness of the site (I don't happen to agree) which could impact on the value of the site from a customer's point of view."

My comment:

Please, please don't refer to me as a 'customer'. I certainly don't mind contributing this nominal fee for the privilege of geocaching, but I don't want to feel that I'm purchasing something. Would that mean you would give me a refund if I didn't have a good experience, maybe I couldn't find a cache? Don't really like the term 'charter member' either.

So there are two mild negative opinions. On the positive side, yes, I too really appreciate Jeremy's amazing efforts in bringing this marvelous activity to all of us, and I too want to thank him. Thanks so very much, Jeremy.

IMHO, I think the term 'supporter' sounds nice. Yes, I like that. Or, even 'geo-addict' could be appropriate.

Utah Jean

quote:

Yes I have read all of these -- although I agree some responses have had a whining (and sometimes rude) tone to them -- the gripes are overall legitimate (not necessarily correct but legitimate). [...] I am certain that Jeremy would much rather have these concerns brought to his attention than having them surpressed

Yes, you have a point, seneca. I agree that the feedback is legitimate...it's the tone that tends to get my hackles up.

Thank you for helping me to remember to listen to others' points of view...even if I don't necessarily feel the same way. They have just as much right to share their opinions as I do...that's the beauty of freedom of speech. icon_smile.gif

I just had to give my two cents worth/beat the dead horse thing. I find it amusing that almost all of the negative critizism comes from people who still have Geocacher in their name titles. The man (Jeremy) has stated his intent and has been truthful and factual about his endeavors concerning his enterprise. This is a good lesson for those Geocachers living in non-democratic countries. What if you had to be a member just to chime in on the threads, you would have to pay to complain. Does anyone see the Irony in this whole subject or is it just me. This is why I love America.

Ringbone

America.....What a Country---Yakov Smirnoff

I'm still trying to figure out how to pay. Paypal is not working correctly for me. Also when I try to reply to a post (like here) I get bounced to geocaching, where I have to sign in again, then back here a couple of times till it goes through!!

Also, just where is the "pay for play" cache section located??

quote:
I find it amusing that almost all of the negative critizism comes from people who still have Geocacher in their name titles.

Oh, I hope my money order gets there soon so I can demonstrate my superior status as a paid up subscriber. Then my concerns/comments might mean something. I can't stand the shame of being of appearing on this forum as a mere "Geocacher"....

quote:

Oh, I hope my money order gets there soon so I can demonstrate my superior status as a paid up subscriber. Then my concerns/comments might mean something. I can't stand the shame of being of appearing on this forum as a mere "Geocacher"....

Superior status? Shame? Mere "Geocacher"?

That's SAD. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ringbone:

I find it amusing that almost all of the negative critizism comes from people who still have Geocacher in their name titles.

Ummmmmm... Well... Yes, this is true. If someone has questions or issues about subscribing, they probably won't pay first and then ask questions later.

Sounds pretty prudent to me...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish (in another thread):

As a subscriber you can now modify your title to whatever you want, as long as it is in good taste. So if you want to be a charter member and remain anonymous, just change your title to Geocacher...

Jeremy

And why do we think Jeremy did this?

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

And why do we think Jeremy did this?

Because it was heavily discussed in another forum? (Which has now been locked since the point is moot.)

What is more impressive is that members can make their own titles, as I see ringbone has taken advantage of, not just choose from an approved list. So, technically, one could become a "Mere Geocacher."