Trashy Cache's

We seem to have a problem in our area of Trashy Cache's. Our very first cache was very nice and actually had some nice things in it but lately it seems like we've found some trashy ones. Today, for example, we found a cache with a pickle in it! Can you believe that? I thought people would read the rules and atleast try to keep their trash out of the cache! Any ideas? I havn't set up a cache yet but if I do I'm thinking about making it available only to premium members. I don't expect to find gold mines but I don't care to find trash either. icon_mad.gif

www.larsenfamily.com

family@larsenfamily.com

Yes, some caches do tend to find themselves plagued with 'less than desirable' items at times. If I encounter a cache with these types of items I try to freshen-up the cache with a few 'nicer' items and know that many Geocachers do the same. Try not to get discouraged by the Geoswag that you may encounter in your travels and always try to "trade up" or just not trade but leave a few nicer items.... Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by SuperMadCachers:

Today, for example, we found a cache with a pickle in it! Can you believe that?

Absolutely. I've heard of much, much worse. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the norm. Those people that geocache regularly for the most part seem to have at least a little common sense. Those that leave actual junk in caches hopefully never really get that involved in the sport.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

I posted a similar topic in northeast forum called 'crap in a cache'...same idea as this topic. From what i have heard, the closer the cache is to a city, the crappier its contents get, and the terrain is usually over rated. I haven't found too many caches yet, but so far this theory seems to hold true.

True-North icon_cool.gif

You're going to find a lot of them. Get used to it. I usually have a pretty big bag of trade items with me, so if the cache is an otherwise nice one (meaning in an intersting location, with a solid, watertight container), I'll remove the garbage and leave a number of items to spruce it up for the next finders.

This is why maintneance is important. The degradation of cache contents is a fact of life with this sport, so cache owners should be sure to make periodic visits to their caches.

quote:
From what i have heard, the closer the cache is to a city, the crappier its contents get

I think its that the more visits a cache gets, the crappier its contents get. It's just that caches near cities generally get more visits.

I agree with Brian - caches can "weaken" over time. I think the "trashier" it gets the less people are inclined to "invest" in it. The Catch22 is that some caches involve quite the hike that the owner isn't likely to go into overtime "babysitting" it. That's why it's so nice to have a bundle of goodies for a cache that is ill. icon_wink.gif

But as for the city caches - those aren't hard to "check up on" and I think most cachers aren't out to take all the good stuff and leave just crap, or nothing. Sure, the occasional greedy person comes along with a weak trade, but like Brian says - that's all part of it.

Two other factors: Area and education.

Education, meaning that folks that are just getting into this don't always understand the concept of "trade up." I think this is because they don't go out with an arsenal of good trade items - not because they're just cheap. After a few caches, most folks catch on (hopefully).

Area, meaning some areas just seem to have a high respect level for caches. Around here, a good cache typically stays a good cache for a good while. Again, it will start to decline after awhile - but at least they don't get drained right off the bat. It's real easy for us to go check up on our local caches - but the folks here tend to be good sports.

If folks want good caches they should do two things: Plant some themselves (the what goes around comes around deal). And they should trade up (or at least even). That way people that like to put some effort into decent caches will continue doing so.

Trinket caches are so easy to keep up. They're easy to place and containers can be so varied.

The nicer item caches (ammo can types) are not so easily "replenished" by the original placer. That's why it's nice when someone comes along and "revives" it.

I think people around here have a lot of respect for well-placed/stocked caches and want to keep 'em coming. Hopefully, the majority of participants see it that way (again, there will always be the occasional raid - but that's part of playing the game).

Threads like this might serve to remind people that some folks put a lot of time, effort and money into good caches - and to preserve that they need to play fairly. icon_smile.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

In my area (Baltimore, MD) there are many trashy caches. I have determined that two factors are at work here.

It has been stated that the number of visits is a factor. I agree. Caches that receive higher traffic because they are accessable usually bring out newbies who don't understand how the game works. I will not put more expensive items in a "beginner's cache" because of the higher risk of the cache going MIA as a result of the finder failing to re-hide it properly.

The second factor is the cache container itself. some hiders use cheap Gladware or other temporary containers for their caches, because they hide many of them. I have noticed that the quality of the inside (trade items) is directly proportional to the quality that went in to the cache by the hider.

I will not debate the issue of ammo cans, which is controversial in my area, but there are definitely better choices than disposable containers!Ã

Geoswag? I like that.

alster

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

Yes, some caches do tend to find themselves plagued with 'less than desirable' items at times. If I encounter a cache with these types of items I try to freshen-up the cache with a few 'nicer' items and know that many Geocachers do the same. Try not to get discouraged by the Geoswag that you may encounter in your travels and always try to "trade up" or just not trade but leave a few nicer items.... Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

icon_cool.gif