What's your signature item?

Guest tnunnery

I have an item that I have left in some of the larger caches. I work for the phone company and have a collection of glass insulators. I had to get them by climbing the poles near railroad tracks. They are a little piece of history, and they make nice candle holders, but they don't fit in many caches. I am still trying to think of something to put in the smaller ones.

Originally posted by hgmonaro:

what's a carabiner?

QUOTE]

It's a steel hasp with a spring loaded gate used for an anchor point when rock climbing, mountaineering, or rappeling. They have become quite fashionable lately as keyrings or just plain utility items, but for a few bucks more you can buy the real thing.

I am kind-of new to this with 5 finds so far. After two of them I figured out that I could be leaving a signature item. So, in keeping with the name I leave a fishing fly I tied myself. The 2002 edition is called a "wooly bugger". They are packaged in small zip-lock bags with a brief description. fly tyer

quote:
Originally posted by Necrogeist:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

The most common item I've enjoyed leaving is my mini-comic book-- 8 legal size pages folded and stapled. Sometimes it's a tough fit!

Does this guy plant these in CA?icon_biggrin.gif

Assumedly so (though I've yet to see one). He's up here in Northern Calif.

quote:
Originally posted by Necrogeist:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

The most common item I've enjoyed leaving is my mini-comic book-- 8 legal size pages folded and stapled. Sometimes it's a tough fit!

Does this guy plant these in CA?:D

Assumedly so (though I've yet to see one). He's up here in Northern Calif.

I have ceramic tiles made up with a magnetic backing. I have different designs that all involve geocaching in some way. I print up 12 to 20 of them and when I run out I come up with a new design to replace it. People around here seem to enjoy trying to find the new tiles as they come out. I only know of two people that have the full set so far.

My latest design:

geomag5.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Jeepster... sounds like a great travel bug goal icon_smile.gif I might just have to give that one a try too if it's ok with you icon_smile.gif No way a TB can out travel me icon_wink.gif...I like it ..I like it!

Please enjoy ...

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Jeepster... sounds like a great travel bug goal icon_smile.gif I might just have to give that one a try too if it's ok with you icon_smile.gif No way a TB can out travel me icon_wink.gif...I like it ..I like it!

Please enjoy ...

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

I posted this in a new thread but thought it might be appropriate here too:

As a Groundspeak Lackey, I have been fortunate enough to read logo use requests from Geocachers with incredible ideas for signature items. I have also seen some really creative ones 'in the wild'.

The thought occurred to me that it'd be really cool if Groundspeak maintained a collection of signature items from Geocachers around the world.

So, I am asking:

All Geocachers with a signature item (and some extra postage) to spare, please please please send us one for the collection...

Groundspeak

ATTN: Signature

PMB 243

15600 NE 8th Street, Suite B1

Bellevue, WA 98008

Once we start receiving them, I'll post some photos...

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rothstafari, Soul Adventurer

www.Groundspeak.com

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Hawk-Eye , I think your Signature Key ring is awesome. How about sending the suppliers name and address and any info on price. I would like to get some made with my logo. dhobby1@earthlink.net. Thanks. I’m outa here.

Here are the coins that I had made.

477353_300.jpg

hobby1.gif

DHobby1, on to the next!

[This message was edited by DHOBBY1 on July 25, 2002 at 07:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by DHOBBY1 on July 25, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

It seems that lately Sacagewea dollars have become my signature item, for reasons stated before in this forum--they are easy to carry, etc. and they only cost a buck. Plus, it also honors the original cachers in this area--Lewis and Clark. Since there are plenty of others who use the same thing as their signature item, I'll forgo mailing one in to Groundspeak for now. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

When I can remember, I try to leave a new flashlight with AA batteries. I got a great deal on a bunch of them for like $1 a piece.

I'm beginning to rethink this, though. I have had to take the flashlight out the package on at least two occasions 'cause it got dark quicker than I hoped. I've gone back to my own cache to see TWO flashlights in it - a cacher found one I placed at another cache and put it in mine!

Tried to enamel a geocaching logo on a gold-painted railroad spike, but that didn't work well. I actually think my wife was upset that I painted her spike. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well. icon_smile.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

When I can remember, I try to leave a new flashlight with AA batteries. I got a great deal on a bunch of them for like $1 a piece.

I'm beginning to rethink this, though. I have had to take the flashlight out the package on at least two occasions 'cause it got dark quicker than I hoped. I've gone back to my own cache to see TWO flashlights in it - a cacher found one I placed at another cache and put it in mine!

Tried to enamel a geocaching logo on a gold-painted railroad spike, but that didn't work well. I actually think my wife was upset that I painted her spike. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well. icon_smile.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I make geocaching pins...made from button simuliar to badge-a-minut pins in several styles that say just that "Geocaching" or geocaching.com

with map images or a satellite etc...People seem to like my pins...I also leave patriotic pins as well. Ginger aka Gigger

My first 150 caches or so I always left Play-doh and what ever else. Now I have found some very cool BIG Army men. I need to buy a few bags of the little ones too for the smaller caches.

Sence I am in the US Army, and my family are "Army Brats" It fits us more than Play-doh.

icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Feros Family on April 24, 2002 at 06:32 PM.]

My first 150 caches or so I always left Play-doh and what ever else. Now I have found some very cool BIG Army men. I need to buy a few bags of the little ones too for the smaller caches.

Sence I am in the US Army, and my family are "Army Brats" It fits us more than Play-doh.

icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Feros Family on April 24, 2002 at 06:32 PM.]

I have just ordered a new signature item. I haven't gotten them yet, but they should start turning up in about a month. I ordered them from Hike America. The company specializes in making walking sticks and medallions that are attached to them (I have a collection of those). icon_biggrin.gif I was able to special order a set for myself using one of the basic designs, the deer or the bear. He would be able to make a fully customized design, but a much larger order would be required, and there may be additional costs involved (I did not pursue that option). My initial contact with him was very positive and he gave me a very good price for the bulk order of the ones that I wanted. Hey Jeremy, would Groundspeak be interested in selling something like this. You may be able to justify the size of the order required.

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

I have just ordered a new signature item. I haven't gotten them yet, but they should start turning up in about a month. I ordered them from Hike America. The company specializes in making walking sticks and medallions that are attached to them (I have a collection of those). icon_biggrin.gif I was able to special order a set for myself using one of the basic designs, the deer or the bear. He would be able to make a fully customized design, but a much larger order would be required, and there may be additional costs involved (I did not pursue that option). My initial contact with him was very positive and he gave me a very good price for the bulk order of the ones that I wanted. Hey Jeremy, would Groundspeak be interested in selling something like this. You may be able to justify the size of the order required.

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

I think I'm going to have buttons made up with different pictures of my four cats. Each button will have the picture and the name of my cat, and then my geocaching name...purring alien, and the word geocache, or geocaching or something. At least I think that's what I'll do.

Until I get them made I plan to put something cat related or UFO related in the caches. I'll be doing a book exchange cache this weekend and I'll be putting in one of Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who...books. For other caches I have real silver alien or cat rings. I'm ready...now I just need to find a cache!

I like to leave a Sacagawea dollar coin in each cache I visit (though I usually only take something if I have another item to leave). And since they've decided to discontinue them I bet they're worth at least $1.000007 each! icon_eek.gif

I'm really just biding my time until I get my own coins minted up like Moun10Bike.

I like to leave a Sacagawea dollar coin in each cache I visit (though I usually only take something if I have another item to leave). And since they've decided to discontinue them I bet they're worth at least $1.000007 each! icon_eek.gif

I'm really just biding my time until I get my own coins minted up like Moun10Bike.

quote:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/370180_200.jpg

After reading about the cool sig items I decided to make one of my own. Tried to incorporate the things that I love doing the most - ballet, geocaching and the desert. The result is a kitchen magnet with the new logo on it with a Kokopelli lapel pin stuck on it. Something to wear and something to leave on the refrigerator.

So, what do you'all think?

I hope the picture works.

RedShoes.jpg