Do you read the (paper) logbook?

azog

I'm just curious as to how many people read the logbook when they've found a cache? I am going under the assumption that the owner will generally read it, so that just means those who are finders.

I usually read the first page. Chances are the hider posted a note on the first page. Other than that, I'll perhaps flip thru the book.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Depends on my mood - some of the time, I just flick through it, especially if I'm out with the dog, or have other caches to go to.

But if I'm by myself, it's a nice day, and I don't have anywhere else to be, I'll have a good read through, and try and write a decent log (other than "Found quickly. Nice Location. Took X, left Y, thanks for cache!") to go with the others.

More often than not I'm by myself, and while I often do have other places to be, I'd rather not there, so I'll usually end up reading all the logs.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

I will spend more time reading the logbook if:

-- it's a very old cache with a lot of history

-- it was a long hike to a nice spot

-- the cache had a surprise or twist of some sort, and I want to read what others had to say about its "secret"

Conversely, on the typical 1/1 cache that's a quarter mile from the parking lot, I may only read the owner's message and the last log entry prior to mine.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I will spend more time reading the logbook if:

-- it's a very old cache with a lot of history

-- it was a long hike to a nice spot

-- the cache had a surprise or twist of some sort, and I want to read what others had to say about its "secret"

Conversely, on the typical 1/1 cache that's a quarter mile from the parking lot, I may only read the owner's message and the last log entry prior to mine.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I like to read the log book but if I'm in a hurry to get to the next cache or back to work on a lunch break I may skip it. Some cachers have signature items that are also left by others (not as signature items) if I have a question about it I check the log book to see who left the particular item. I like to see the logs from the "famous" cachers.

You've stumbled upon the one area where my wife and I disagree in how we approach Geocaching. Everything else we are 100% in sync on, but as to the log books, we have a difference of opinion.

She likes to savor the log book, and read what everyone wrote - while she is at the cache site - because reading it there, among other things, means that:

...you don't miss any logs (not everyone posts on the web, and you may have non-Internet-using-cachers stumbling upon the cache)

...you have an intimacy of shared experience with the other cachers, when you read the log book - at the actual location.

I cannot stand reading the log book, beyond the introduction note from the cache placer, because:

Most of the logs are copied onto the web site (and there are people, like Kablooey, who often just take a photo of their log sheet entry - ensuring an exact match).

I worry about being found near the cache site. I don't want to be the cause of a cache being plundered.

Pretty much, the way it resolves is in the typical husband/wife way: she courteously listens to my requests to hurry and responds "sure thing; right away" to each one, while she gives the log book exactly the amount of time she wants to give it! icon_biggrin.gif

-J