assembly required on sig piece

Guest essay

Help!

I'm working on a stained glass suncatcher of the geocaching logo for a signature item (and also to give folks as a door prize at our upcoming event cache this spring, so I'm making a bunch).

My biggest obstacle is actually getting the logo onto the glass. I'm not inclined to paint with lead solder, and the liquid lead solder look-alike stuff isn't particularly easy to work with, either. So my best solution is to photocopy the design onto a transparency and adhere the symbols to the back of the suncatcher.

I'm using spray on Elmers Craft Bond as the adhesive, and it's adding texture and opacity to the glass. Anybody have any ideas on what might work better getting plastic to stick to glass?

here's the photo suncatcher.jpg

[This message has been edited by essay (edited 02 February 2002).]

Guest 4America
Originally posted by essay:

Help!

My biggest obstacle is actually getting the logo onto the glass.

--snip-- Pad Printing would work best, email me for more info. TheKeyConnection@Yahoo.com

Sounds like a great reason to come to Idaho!

We did a fun temporary hunt at Rigby Lake last summer at a family reunion. I'll have to look you up when I am in the area.

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by essay:

Help!]

Essay, I'd suggest that if you were making a large quantity, you could have the logo silkscreened. Try a local shop that screens Tee-shirts and signs. Otherwise, for smaller runs you could have the logo cut from adhesive vinyl at a quick-sign shop and apply them yourself. (I make vinyl signs and window decals myself, so I know that this is a viable method.) Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to hear that people think the suncatcher is cool -- I, myself, am particularly partial to it icon_smile.gif

I've emailed 4America for more info, but I'm thinking that might be an expensive option. The silkscreening is a great idea, Rich, especially since caching buddy wavydave has the stuff to do that on a small scale at his house.

Tenami, the suncatchers are supposed to be ready for our event cache in Idaho Falls this spring, currently scheduled for May 11 -- come on up!

I'm doing major construction on the suncatchers tomorrow night (copper foiling and burnishing tonight, soldering tomorrow), so I'll keep looking for any more ideas that crop up : )

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to hear that people think the suncatcher is cool -- I, myself, am particularly partial to it icon_smile.gif

I've emailed 4America for more info, but I'm thinking that might be an expensive option. The silkscreening is a great idea, Rich, especially since caching buddy wavydave has the stuff to do that on a small scale at his house.

Tenami, the suncatchers are supposed to be ready for our event cache in Idaho Falls this spring, currently scheduled for May 11 -- come on up!

I'm doing major construction on the suncatchers tomorrow night (copper foiling and burnishing tonight, soldering tomorrow), so I'll keep looking for any more ideas that crop up : )

Guest Dave Oakley

Okies Rich, approximately how much is the adhesive vinyl?

That was one option we investigated when the idea came up. A little bit of internet research but couldn't find much in the way of pricing info.

---wavydave(at)qwest.net