Sport ?!

Hobby? Yes it's a dadgum hobby. So is stamp collecting and drag racing. A hobby is what you would rather be doing when you are working. Unless you are lucky and would rather be doing what you are doing when you are working. I don't know what they call that but dadgum it would be nice.

On the other hand I'm not sure if it's a sport either.

Yeah we really have to train for this sport don't we? Sheesh I think bowlers train more. Well of course they do, they actually have to practice.

A hobby comes close. I suppose it could be close to hiking. I guess activity is close.

But I suppose to some cubicle bound computer type this is as close to sports as it gets.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Where does canoeing fit in?

Is it a recreational sport or Activity?

If you are racing with others, then it is a sport.

If you are just having fun, it is a recreational activity.

Where does Geocaching fit in?

Is it a recreational sport or Activity?

If you are racing with others, then it is a sport.

If you are just having fun, it is a recreational activity.

Comparing apples with oranges here, but trying to get to the point too.

If you are just having fun, geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, or if you are competing with others, then it is a sport to you.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

According Webster it is a sport:

Sport (noun) 1 (a) a source of diversion - RECREATION (;) physical activity engaged in for pleasure © a particular activity (as an

athletic game) so engaged in.

Some here seem to think a sport requires competetion, but skiing is a sport, yet not all skiers compete. Fishing is considered a sport but there is no competetion here, except maybe between the fisherman and the fish.

And for those of you who still insist that a sport requires competetion, I guess if you really push it, in Geocaching the seeker is competing with the terrain, weather, sattelite reception, insects and the hider.

First of all, not to knock anybody...it is spelled "pastime". ...with one "t". (Thank you, beloved www.dictionary.com.) icon_smile.gif

In the beginning, there was the word “sport”. And this word was used by the Great Geocaching Creator to describe the beloved activity. And it was good. But then, the wicked media came and cast doubt upon the word. The media stirred up much controversy by claiming that the activity is more like a hobby.

And so one group became divided into three groups: the Fundamentalists who claim that since the Creator used the word “sport” that there is no more to be said about the subject, the Reformers who claim that the activity has changed into what most people would call a hobby, and finally, the secular, non-geocachers, who say that one can not call the activity one thing or another until all of the facts have been sorted.

After the initial split, more and more denominations began appearing. The question remains, "Will they ever find unity, again?"

...is it like a scavenger hunt? ...naw, it's more like a pack-rat hunt...

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 31, 2002 at 02:26 PM.]

sport

n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.

b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.

c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.

a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.

b. Informal. One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.

c. Informal. A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.

6. Informal.

a. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.

b. A gambler at sporting events.

7. Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.

8. Maine. See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.

9. Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

quote:
Originally posted by OblongFred:

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time.

The above resulted in spewed soda through the nose.

~off to find some papertowels~

CR

_-- Insert pithy aphorism here --_

Never drink liquids at the moment when you begin reading a post.

icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

From Merriam-Webster:

Sport - (1a) A source of diversion (1c) A physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

From The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

Sport - (1) An active pastime; diversion; recreation.

Some here seem to think a sport requires competetion, but skiing is a sport, yet not all skiers compete. Fishing is considered a sport but there is no competetion here, except maybe between the fisherman and the fish.

And for those of you who still insist that a sport requires competetion, I guess if you really push it, in Geocaching the seeker is competing with the terrain, weather, sattelite reception, insects and the hider.

Hey, didn't I say this before? And a sport CAN be done with a beer in your hand. Heck, I recall tracking down flyballs with a glove in one hand and a beer in another (at picnics). I've backpacked to the top of some pretty rough peaks with a beer, or two along the way and have landed some good sized bass with a beer between my legs.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 31, 2002 at 04:12 PM.]