Phish show in Maine

jjkupke

Was anybody at the Phish show in Maine this weekend? All I was thinking all weekend was wouldn't it be fun to publish your campsite's cooridinates somewhere(either a voicemailbox or SMS text messages) and then turn your car into a cache? People at the show could have gotten the coordinates and then come to visit... Would be a great way to meet new people! icon_biggrin.gif

The NJ geocacher Roosteroo was there.

I was in the area a few years ago during the concert. We were headed to the northern tip of Maine to begin a 5 day canoe trip on the Allagash and we were stuck in the Phish Phan traffic on some back roads. I had flashbacks to 1969. Long hair, peace signs, tie dyed shirts and Birkenstocks.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 06, 2003 at 02:48 PM.]

traffic was absolutely horrible, it wasn't to bad on 95 for me but when we hit 1..... let's just say it took 12hours to go the last 10 miles, hit the end of the traffic around 10:30 pmand didn't get to the gates til 10:30 am, absolutely horrible. I swore I'd never do a Phish festival again sat as I rolled in, though by the end of the weekend I had changed my mind.

Not only were 60-70,000 phish phans there, but I believe there was also something like 100,000 people in Rockford for the lobsterfest.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I forgot to mention the one thing that made it more bearable was how amazingly nice the people in Maine were. All along route 1 were people waving, welcoming us, and just hanging outside to watch. The cops were unbelievably cool and I've also heard stories of locals offering people food, showers, water, and just about anything else they needed for free. In fact one lady actually went on a 45 min drive to show a lost group the fastest backroads to 95 after the show.

Yeah, part of the fun of it is how everyone just seems to deal with what would normally be lethal amounts of traffic...give what you just went thru a little time to settle in, and by the time next year rolls around, you'll be waiting for the first Mainebound VW bus you spot on the highway on your way up there(it was a celebratory moment for us)

Having grown up in the great city of Limestone, Maine... I have to say it's absolutely mind-boggling to see 70,000 people come through the little old town. I went to the first of the Phish things while still living up there. It was nuts!

Fun fact: The town of Limestone actually widened its Main Street... just in case there was ever another Phish concert.

It's an area where the nearest town boasts... I dunno... maybe 3000 people? MAYBE. Then it turns into this 70,000 person mecca literally overnight. And then right back into the little 3000 person town it was before. All in three days icon_smile.gif

Just plain crazy. I'm not a big Phish fan, but if they do it again... I'll probably try to get up to it. The experience is pretty awesome icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

wouldn't it be fun to publish your campsite's cooridinates somewhere(either a voicemailbox or SMS text messages) and then turn your car into a cache?

They did something like this in England I think they called it a fox hunt. It was a great success with cachers driving around the English countryside centered in Winchester.

Originally posted by Stunod:

"Hippies. Hippies everywhere. They want to save the world, but they just smoke pot and smell bad."_~Eric Cartman, South Park_

Geeeeeeeeee Thanks ----and not every hippie smokes---but great stereotyping there....

Hey Phisheads how was IT? YEY?

Mom was up at lobsterfest as usual in rockland, she gave a call and said "Jace all your dready friends have come to maine this weekend, I think I may follow them instead of going to l/fest, it looks more fun" I was rolling I can only picture mom spining at IT!

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

Hey Phisheads how was IT? YEY?

Natureboy1376

Personally I thought it was great, there were positives and negatives, the traffic situation was horrible and should have been avoided if it was better organized (last minute rains screwed things up..though being a cacher I should've been prepared with alternate routes, unfortunately I left that up to a non cacher and a cacher who doesn't do much when it comes to planning routes... so I can't complain to much), the control tower jam at 2:00 am blew my mind, sure you've heard all about it but if not fire me off an email, think I've got a few pics. The sets were ok, no one set stands out it my mind though there were some pretty sweet songs that really stood out.

quote:
I forgot to mention the one thing that made it more bearable was how amazingly nice the people in Maine were. All along route 1 were people waving, welcoming us, and just hanging outside to watch.

You realize, of course, that we were watching you for the sheer entertainment value -- you concert attendees are freakier than the people at the Bangor State Fair! Kidding. I'm a tie-dye loving, Birkenstock-wearing Phish fan, too. I haven't been to any of their shows here, though, because I can't stand crowds. Phish's festivals make Limestone the biggest city in Maine for the few days they're here, and the state literally takes in MILLIONS of dollars during that time (mostly in beer sales!). Bring 'em on!

Oh, and did you know that you can dowmload audio files of the complete show at livephish.com? It's about $23 for mp3 files, and about $30 for FLAC files which supposedly have great sound quality. How convenient that my boyfriend's birthday is next week!!

icon_biggrin.gif Kelli

of Teamo Supremo

quote:
Originally posted by Teamo Supremo:

You realize, of course, that we were watching you for the sheer entertainment value -- you concert attendees are freakier than the people at the Bangor State Fair! the state literally takes in MILLIONS of dollars during that time (mostly in beer sales!). Bring 'em on!

Oh, and did you know that you can dowmload audio files of the complete show at livephish.com? It's about $23 for mp3 files, and about $30 for FLAC files which supposedly have great sound quality.

icon_biggrin.gif Kelli

of Teamo Supremo

Yep on both accounts, from the articles I've read in the Maine papers it's between $26.5 million and $37 million that is pumped into the local economy because of the show (seemed high me but I suppose their counting what the band spends to rent the area, plus airfares into the area, etc. etc. etc, staff of 1000 people and so on.)

You can also download any phish shows for free (off various sources on the net, though unfortunately they tend to be in MP# or OGG format) or you can get into a taper circle and trade FLAC or SHN discs.... however none of them are direct from the soundboard like the livephish one's are, they're all from the taper section instead, so obviously the sound quality isn't as great. I'd go with the FLAC files myself if your going the livephish.com route.

I don't blame you on the crowds or traffic thing, though I'd definately say it's worth it at least once, the vibe is still pretty good (even though it's lost a lot of the love, used to be you could leave your wallet out in the open near your coat and most likely it would be there when your returned, not anymore, to many people going just to get messed up....