Garmin update & Windows XP

cchur

I bought a Dell a couple of months ago with all the bells and whistles - P-4, 1.8GB, 256MRAM, 80GB hard drive, etc. Had to return it because I couldn't get all my programs to work because of Windows XP. Dell was nice enough about it. Spoke to all their hardware and software reps but couldn't get it working on some important program I was using with Hyperterminal. Microsoft changed some basic set up stuff with Hyperterminal (part of Windows Accessories)and the original supplier of Hyperterminal said they don't support their product with XP I should go talk to Microsoft. Give me a break.(They did try to help me out though which was actually very nice but also at the end of the day it was a no go). So now I'm back to my Dell with 233 Celeron. Oh well.

Alan

I use XP for everything, and have had not problems. Not even with really old software. It may have something to do with compatibility. If you've tried this already, I apologize in advance.

Try this:

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.

Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.

The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.

For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.

That's a clip from Windows XP Help. Works for me, hope it helps. If not, sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by cchur:

Just tried to update to 2.37 using my XP system and I seem to be having a problem because I'm being asked to provide the fillowing information to Tech support "IOL_channel.cpp-119-2.05". Is this known?

Hmm. Which GPS do you have? I just updated my Venture to 2.30 under winxp with no SSA (Special Screwing Around) and it worked just fine.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif