Navicache Antics

a representative of Navicache.com posted an anti-Jeremy message on my local cacher's club message board.

For those groups who have their own webpages/message boards, I strongly suspect you will see the same soon, if not already.

In response, I yanked my cache from navicache.com's listings.

This is as I feared...

I can understand Jeremy's reasons for implementing membership (although I disagree with the manner in which it was implemented). I also understand some of the reasons that the Navicache people believe the way that they do. I am more sympathetic to the Navicache view.

This while matter appears to be causing a great split. Now, not only do we have a Geocaching.com "elite" with their own special little caches, but we now see a Geocache vs. Navicache split.

I thought that only Baptist churches were supposed to split like this.

Any way that you slice it, this CANNOT be good for the sport.

Navicache is a great geocaching site that will never ever ever require anyone to ever pay for their services.

Unfortunately, there are only about 6 in a 100 mile radius from where I live, and all but one are virtuals. The one that isn't is already on geocaching.com.

Their banner ads also attract the attention of my boss. icon_biggrin.gif

Venture Forth, out to the wild, wet forest...

Navicache is a great geocaching site that will never ever ever require anyone to ever pay for their services.

Unfortunately, there are only about 6 in a 100 mile radius from where I live, and all but one are virtuals. The one that isn't is already on geocaching.com.

Their banner ads also attract the attention of my boss. icon_biggrin.gif

Venture Forth, out to the wild, wet forest...

Navicache is a GREAT geocaching site, true it doesn't have nearly as many caches as geocaching.com does but it does have a more homegrown, laid back, "grass routes" approach then this site does. I use and enjoy both sites. They are a great bunch of guys over there and to be honest I can't really see one of the site owners/operators posting on other sites "bashing" anyone. They may give their opinion but I have yet to see any "bashing" on their own site. It may have been a fan of the site who was not affiliated with navicache.com. Hopefully stuff like this will not cause a rift in the geocaching community, I mean come on we just finally got past the mocache fight, do we really need to start another?

Well, I have posted my cache and logged caches on navicache.com in addition to geocaching.com. I think that encouraging a broad range of sites can only be a good thing for enhancing and promoting the longevity of our sport.

'Many hands make light work'.

Just my 2 cents about this. I also enjoy both sites and find them useful and informative. Not sure what you mean by “representative of Navicache”, but the people there are really good people. As they are here. (have I covered all my bases? Lol)

I must admit (I guess this could be an answer to an unasked poll), that I learned about Navicache.com from this thread icon_eek.gif

Maybe I'll post my next cache there as well as here on geocaching.com, after I send Jeremy $30 of course. Seems like there ought to be at least 1 within 125 miles of Portland on the "other" site.

I must admit (I guess this could be an answer to an unasked poll), that I learned about Navicache.com from this thread icon_eek.gif

Maybe I'll post my next cache there as well as here on geocaching.com, after I send Jeremy $30 of course. Seems like there ought to be at least 1 within 125 miles of Portland on the "other" site.