How far have you gone to accessorize your geocrack habit?

The Doombots'! are proud to announce a new car in the family, and I am shamed to admit that while buying the car caching, was a consideration. I was thinking things like "Ooooh, cruise control and automatic transmission, I'll have more free limbs to look at my GPS!" and "It's blue, that will match my E-Trex Legend". So...question one is; do I need a 12-step program, and question two is; whats the farthest you've gone "feeding the habit"?

and found a place that will make customized patches. I can get 100 patches for about $200. This is actually more than I spent on the GPS but I'm sure an upgrade in that department will be in the budget soon.

We did just purchase a new geocaching vehicle (a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4 quad cad with the off-road package) but have to admit that getting down our lane was a bigger factor to consider than geocaching. Should get us to most caches though! icon_biggrin.gif Actually I've had my eye on a cache in the UP of Michigan where it would actually be useful.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

and found a place that will make customized patches. I can get 100 patches for about $200. This is actually more than I spent on the GPS but I'm sure an upgrade in that department will be in the budget soon.

We did just purchase a new geocaching vehicle (a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4 quad cad with the off-road package) but have to admit that getting down our lane was a bigger factor to consider than geocaching. Should get us to most caches though! icon_biggrin.gif Actually I've had my eye on a cache in the UP of Michigan where it would actually be useful.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I had my gps, compass, backpack, etc. before geocaching was invented. The only thing I have bought that complements geocaching was some mapping software. I am not sure whether I would have bought the software if I weren't geocaching. I had access to free USGS Quad maps, but I wanted something I could customize and and transfer info between my gps.

FYI, I got Maptech's Terrain Navigator. I really like it.

Started with changing our Account name to something more encompassing.

Bought Shirts for whole team.

Bought seperate digital camera just for caching.

Bought Travel bugs for whole team.

Created Logo which has since been printed on labels and slapped on just about everything we own. Including Trademark Leave behind.

Logo was then trans lated to a embroidered emblem and hats where bought for whole team.

Bought Geocaching hat for Team leader

Geocaching Stickers for car windows.

Bought scooters for caches near paved trails

Design and created GEOcards for our caches.

Designing Cachercards as leave behinds.

Included Groundspeak dude in design book for facepainting(side job)

Plans to purches mounts and adapters for laptop, eTrex and Palm for car.

That's about it for now.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Been caching since March of last year, and in that time period: Bought & sold Garmin eTrex Vista. Bought & still have Garmins: Street Pilot, V, III Plus, MAP76 & eMap. Software: Mapsource: Roads & Recreation, Topo, Metroguide, City Select. DeLorme: Street Atlas USA, Street Atlas DeLuxe, Topo 3.0, Topo 4.0. Maptech :Terrain Navigator.

And something to get me to the caches.

icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Been caching since March of last year, and in that time period: Bought & sold Garmin eTrex Vista. Bought & still have Garmins: Street Pilot, V, III Plus, MAP76 & eMap. Software: Mapsource: Roads & Recreation, Topo, Metroguide, City Select. DeLorme: Street Atlas USA, Street Atlas DeLuxe, Topo 3.0, Topo 4.0. Maptech :Terrain Navigator.

icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

I've purchased the following, specifically for geocaching:

1. 1990 Ford Bronco XLT

2. Meridian Platinum GPSR

3. Cargo vest and various clothing items

4. Sony Cybershot digital camera

My roommate is actually talking about purchasing an ultralight, and after I purchase a house so I have room to park things, I'll probably buy a small boat of some sort for those hard-to-reach island caches icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

I've purchased the following, specifically for geocaching:

1. 1990 Ford Bronco XLT

2. Meridian Platinum GPSR

3. Cargo vest and various clothing items

4. Sony Cybershot digital camera

My roommate is actually talking about purchasing an ultralight, and after I purchase a house so I have room to park things, I'll probably buy a small boat of some sort for those hard-to-reach island caches icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

My father's day gift was a camelbak I never realized how much water I needed on the hike. Now I am sure to drink the proper amount of fluid on my hikes. Plus the backpack part holds all of my cache trading

Hydration packs in the Summer do provide an advantage. Folks will be surprised how much farther they can go and fresher they feel when sipping water from a tube rather than stopping and drinking from a bottle/canteen.

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

"Gimpy"

Why so many different map softwares? Which one do you like best?

My first unit was the III Plus, March 2001, & wanted mapping software. At the time,Mapsource R&R & Topo was the way to go. Topo worked OK, as it's the only stuff you can load into the Garmins,but wanted a little something more up to date,to print up Topo maps for reference. DeLorme Topo 3.0. A slight improvement, but not as good as I'd hoped. Picked up the Vista, so I could load more map data. 24 mb storage was nice, but the majority of the time I headed into the woods, lost sat. reception, rendering the unit pretty much useless. Got rid of it, & picked up the MAP76. 8 mb. capacity would hold a nice sized area of topos'. Then started loading R&R along with the Topo, to play with road navigation.Wasn't too satisfied with R&R, so decided to keep just topos' in the MAP76, & started with the DeLorme Street Atlas stuff to print out more detailed road maps. Wasn't crazy about always looking at printed out road maps, but with the DeLorme, I could at least do some autorouting on the pc, & load the routes into the MAP76 or the III Plus. Then Garmin came out with the V, with City Select & autorouting. Pre-ordered one & loved it from the minute I got it. Then realized how terrible the rural coverage was in City select, & found Metroguide to be superior. Metroguide worked out great for autorouting wherever I went. And the features in Metroguide were so nice, as far as locating restaurants, hotels, etc., that I figured having an eMap with a 64 mb. data card would be nice just to carry around in my pocket while travelling in unfamiliar territory. Never know when you're going to want to know where the nearest burger joint is while walking around when you're out of town. Then along came a very good deal on the Street Pilot that I couldn't pass up. With a 64 mb. data card, I have most of NY State loaded with Metroguide.Really like the large color screen. Then, DeLorme sent me an e-mail about the latest & greatest upcoming Topo 4.0, & gave me a very good price, so I ordered it. Better than Topo 3.0, but still not as much detail as I'd prefer. Then I came across a post on the forums here, talking about Maptech Terrain Navigator. Sounded great for printing out high quality 7.5 minute series topos for reference & downloading tracks & waypoints to. Went to their site & downloaded a sample map section & really liked it. Ordered New York State & New England series on 17 cds'. Very happy with it. So now when I head out to go caching, I've got the V loaded with City Select or Metroguide for autorouting, locked on road,to get me to the cache area. The Street Pilot, locked on road with Metroguide, just cuz I like looking at the large color map & check out the area I'm travelling in. The MAP76, off road, to show me the distance from the road or parking area to the cache, dashpoint, minutewar point, etc. All mounted on a plate I fabricated that sits in a recess on my dash. When I get to the parking area, I just pull the whole plate, with gps units mounted, & set it out of view, & head into the woods with the III Plus loaded with topos' & cache waypoints. The eMap goes along for backup.

icon_biggrin.gif

Like I said, what addiction?

"Gimpy"

My first unit was the III Plus, March 2001, & wanted mapping software. At the time,Mapsource R&R & Topo was the way to go. Topo worked OK, as it's the only stuff you can load into the Garmins,but wanted a little something more up to date,to print up Topo maps for reference. DeLorme Topo 3.0. A slight improvement, but not as good as I'd hoped. Picked up the Vista, so I could load more map data. 24 mb storage was nice, but the majority of the time I headed into the woods, lost sat. reception, rendering the unit pretty much useless. Got rid of it, & picked up the MAP76. 8 mb. capacity would hold a nice sized area of topos'. Then started loading R&R along with the Topo, to play with road navigation.Wasn't too satisfied with R&R, so decided to keep just topos' in the MAP76, & started with the DeLorme Street Atlas stuff to print out more detailed road maps. Wasn't crazy about always looking at printed out road maps, but with the DeLorme, I could at least do some autorouting on the pc, & load the routes into the MAP76 or the III Plus. Then Garmin came out with the V, with City Select & autorouting. Pre-ordered one & loved it from the minute I got it. Then realized how terrible the rural coverage was in City select, & found Metroguide to be superior. Metroguide worked out great for autorouting wherever I went. And the features in Metroguide were so nice, as far as locating restaurants, hotels, etc., that I figured having an eMap with a 64 mb. data card would be nice just to carry around in my pocket while travelling in unfamiliar territory. Never know when you're going to want to know where the nearest burger joint is while walking around when you're out of town. Then along came a very good deal on the Street Pilot that I couldn't pass up. With a 64 mb. data card, I have most of NY State loaded with Metroguide.Really like the large color screen. Then, DeLorme sent me an e-mail about the latest & greatest upcoming Topo 4.0, & gave me a very good price, so I ordered it. Better than Topo 3.0, but still not as much detail as I'd prefer. Then I came across a post on the forums here, talking about Maptech Terrain Navigator. Sounded great for printing out high quality 7.5 minute series topos for reference & downloading tracks & waypoints to. Went to their site & downloaded a sample map section & really liked it. Ordered New York State & New England series on 17 cds'. Very happy with it. So now when I head out to go caching, I've got the V loaded with City Select or Metroguide for autorouting, locked on road,to get me to the cache area. The Street Pilot, locked on road with Metroguide, just cuz I like looking at the large color map & check out the area I'm travelling in. The MAP76, off road, to show me the distance from the road or parking area to the cache, dashpoint, minutewar point, etc. All mounted on a plate I fabricated that sits in a recess on my dash. When I get to the parking area, I just pull the whole plate, with gps units mounted, & set it out of view, & head into the woods with the III Plus loaded with topos' & cache waypoints. The eMap goes along for backup.

icon_biggrin.gif

Like I said, what addiction?

"Gimpy"