Cache requiring metal detector? Feedback, please.

Guest cache_only

Guest logscaler

I have been thinking along the same line !!

I was going to put a "marker" cache out with a bearing heading to run with a compass and somewhere along this line would be buried a cache with the goods. Somewhere along the line I would have a second "marker" cache located that would have the main cache location in it in case someone without a metal detector wanted to look for it. Also, in case a searcher missed it. How does that sound? Maybe even a multi leg with the cache somewhere along a leg? Could be fun.

[This message has been edited by logscaler (edited 15 May 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

I have never used a metal detector, but it sounds like a good idea. I posted a thread asking for ideas on keeping our precious caches more secure, and this sounds like a winner. I ahve been getting some really accurate readings with my receiver lately, so it might not even really require a detector, but would be a good idea to bring it for insurance. How much does a detector cost, anyway? The ammo boxes, which are the preferred container in my area, would be ample in size to set off the alarm on the detector, I would think, even if they were buried a bit deeper than a couple of inches. I hope you try it, and post your results so I can know how to go about it.

Guest Silver

I own two metal detectors, so something like this might be kind of fun.

The first thing that came to mind was making sure the buried container was in an area that would not receive any environmental damage from the burying/digging. A sandy riverbank might be OK. A wooded area or meadow might bring more bad perceptions to the sport. I have visions of people probing with garden trowels along a compass line looking for an ammo box.

As long as the cache was placed with the idea of "least damage", it sounds like a fun idea.

Silver

Guest Markwell

Speaking as someone who doesn't have a metal detector, it sounds like a neat twist. Just make sure that you indicate that this is a "buried" cache REQUIRING a metal detector. I'd hate to have someone going out in the forest using just their GPS and bringing a shovel digging up the whole area around the stash! eek.gif

But with that in mind, make sure you bury in an area with a lot of loose soil around - otherwise it'll be pretty easy to spot the cache: just look for the only spot that's been dug up.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 16 May 2001).]

Guest Stryker Incognito1

In my cache in NH, I originally put it in a place where it could be seen above ground. However, I recently added a second stage to that cache, making it a 'Double Cache', and I burried the box making it hard to find. It's not completely covered by inches of dirt, but there are enough leaves and sticks covering it that you either will need a good eye, or a metal detector to find it. Considering that the box is an old iron ammo box, it won't be that hard for ANY metal detector to find.

Guest GeoMonkeys

I own 2 detectors , the lightest of which, is stil more than i would wish to carry over long , sometimes dificult trails, just to detect a cache. if they are in easy locations then , perhap burying them would increase the dificulty. but consider average metal detectors add a few pouds to your traveling weight, and are not often easily packed into a pack, or carry bag.

Good idea though, for those who want to lug thier detectors along aswell.

------------------

Carmen Sandiego is at:

utm: e:2450000

N:62550000