GeoCaching Stickers!!!

retphoto

Will GeoCaching Stickers be done in various sizes???

I went to the local Pa State Park office today to get 2 two caches approved(they give you the stickers)

The Standard sticker appears to be 5x10 inches. while this size is OK for Ammo Cans. I find they're a bit too large for some Tupperware(or Rubbermaid) Containers.

I found I had to cut the one in half and placed the information section on the lid, and the logo portion on the bottom.

I think 3x6 and 4x8 stickers would also be good for smaller tupperware container. maybe even a 2x4 size???

BTW According to the Ranger, he has to submit the paperwork for approval from HIS supervisiors, which could take about 2 weeks, and I'm NOT allowed to place teh caches until I get called from him. So Even if I get approval from Geocaching(which I have to submit first so I can complete the paperwork). The caches won't be in their location until I get Ranger Approval(which is why my "new" caches will be temporarly disabled)

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Stickers in various sizes would be a great idea. The current ones barely fit on an ammo box, and are out of the question for use on most other commonly used containers.

I think your suggestions for 4x8, 2x4 & 3x6 are great. Maybe even a 1x2 would be a good size for micros.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by flat_lander:

As someone posted in a similar thread, how about a prefabed "geocaching.com" stencil kit? I'd get one.

Me too, it took a lot Xacto knife maneuvering, to make the one I have now.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

quote:
Originally posted by flat_lander:

As someone posted in a similar thread, how about a prefabed "geocaching.com" stencil kit? I'd get one.

Funny you mention that. I had a magnetic stencil lasercut to spraypaint my ammo cans (it was a HUGE pain finding a company to do it right however). It has the 3" logo and GEOCACHE in large letters and WWW.GEOCACHING.COM in smaller letters. I spray painted them in four colors. It is a bit tricky but one color would be a piece of cake. It turned out pretty good so I contacted the website about getting a limited license to sell them. I think I'd have to sell them for $20 and shipping to make it worth my while though. I'll post a photo of the results if someone can tell me how.

If there is enough interest I can negotiate with Groundspeak and have a bunch made up.

If Groudspeak is already having the 5"x10" stickers made, I'm sure that it should be possible for them to get them made in other sizes. If they are not able to, I know of a manufacturer that would make them in various sizes based on the original one, for very decent rates if they are made in bulk. I already use this company to make various vinyl graphics for detailing all sorts of vehicles. All I need is authorization to have them made!

ZiggyStardust

I made a stencil. I bought a stencil sheet from Fred Meyers. It's just a translucent sheet of plastic.

I printed out a GC logo and traced it on the sheet. I used a swivel knife to cut it out, an exacto will work.

A little latex paint works great on ammo cans.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

Ok, since no one else has said it yet I will. Why would you ever use anything other than the best cache container ever made, an ammo box.

I have found lots of the plastic cache containers, glad, rubbermaid, tupperware and generic, and they all have one thing in common. Unless the hiding location protects them from the weather they all seem to leak. The change in temp here in New England is just too much for these containers. When the contents heat up the air inside expands, the press fit lid lets this expanding air out. Not a problem, however when the temp inside then drops back down it creates a vacuum. Once again the press fit lid lets the outside air back in, and along with it any moisture that happens to be present at the time. I have also found a few that have cracks or holes in them. The plastic just seems to lose what ever sealing qualities it had once it gets too cold. It also cracks easily in these cold temps.

You know I have never found an ammo box with any signs of leaking or damage.

I would have to say, at least in New England, the best container is the ammo box and the current sticker fits them just fine, with minimal triming for the small ammo box size.

SilverRubicon

quote:
Ok, since no one else has said it yet I will. Why would you ever use anything other than the best cache container ever made, an ammo box.

I'm a big fan of ammo boxes and use them for most of my caches. But there are instances where an ammo box may not be appropriate. For instance, I wouldn't hide one in a popular urban, or surburan park where there is a good chance of a container of that size being accidently discovered.

Also, some hiding places aren't conducive to a container of the size of an ammo box. Even the .30 cal boxes require a good bit of space to hide it. They also don't work very well as micro caches. Finally, some jurisdictions don't allow them. I know its a silly rule, but a rule it is.

The ammo box is my container of choice, but I also use decon boxes for areas that call for a smaller cache container. I wouldn't mind having stickers that would fit on a decon box...esp since they don't take painting very well.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 15, 2003 at 11:16 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

_Did someone say STENCIL?_

Here's a paper mock up of a 3.75"x 6" stencil. If you think it's something I should pursue, let me know. Of course, I can make it bigger, but smaller will be tricky.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2700.jpg

Price will be subject to a suitable material.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

I see you are prepared for the "great renumbering"...you left 7 blanks after the CG!!

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

It is _GC_ and not _CG_

You may want to change your stencil....

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

DOH!! I see the number of spaces, but didn't notice the dyslexic letters. Good eyes DJ! (or is it JD???)

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

DOH!

You'd never think I do layouts all day with all of the spelling mistakes and typos!

I do see that it looks like blanks to put the digits for the waypoints--I was only wanting to not have a long slit. I can fix both of those.

I was thinking I probably could offer these as disposable stencils, too. Use it three or four times and then toss it. No worries about clean up or storage of paint soaked stencils. Cut from card stock in packs of 10. Watcha think?

CR

72057_2000.gif

I run a vinyl plotter and usually cut my labels and a few for my friends out of vinyl. I just tested some masking material ( can only be used once) and some stencil stock for re-use. Any generic sign shop should be able to cut you a stencil from a nice plastic substrate for only a few bucks.

videbo tu in caelum

quote:
Originally posted by Beefcider:

Any generic sign shop should be able to cut you a stencil from a nice plastic substrate for only a few bucks.

It's been my experience "any generic sign shop" can barely cut red helvetica and couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. Okay, so that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but I've been in the industry for over 13 years, even had my own shop and still cut my own vinyl.

I think most people will want specifics like an .eps file to take to the shop with them and what materials to ask for.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Hi, everybody, this is my first post on this Forum. So, greetings before all else!

I'm new to geocaching, but the individuality of the sport attracted me, the very moment I had a chance to use the GPSr. I've also found that if merges nicely with my ocupation. Being a nature photographer, I travel around; and also being a field (3-D) archer, I enjoy outdoors to the fullest.

I'd like to suggest another way of making the GC sticker.

You'll need some transparency film, a laser printer, and a roll of double-sided sticky tape. I've got some that is 4.8 centimeters wide, and that seems to be enough for most purposes. The sticky tape should be white, or of some light color; opaque and not transparent, unless the container you're going to stick it on is brightly colored.

Set the length of your text so that it conforms to the length of the place where you intend to place it, and the width, or 'text height' should not come out wider than the tape.

Print your text on the back surface of the transparency. This is usually done by flipping the text horizontally before printing. Cut that part of the foil roughly to size of the sticky tape and apply carefully the printed side toward the tape, so that the toner is trapped (and protected) between transparency and tape glue. If you do it carefully and if you press out all of the air, you'll have a very nice sticker.

If you have to get rid of some air bubble trapped within the sticker, use needle to make hole trough the tape... take care of the transparency, keeping the needle flat, almost horizontal, to the tape. Once you glue it all to the container surface, these tiny holes will be closed to humidity and water.

Another detail; do not use inkjet printers to do that. The ink doesn't last long in the open light, and sometimes it smears easily if it isn't completely dry. Anyway, if your cache is someplace dark, you might try inkjet stickers as well. And the color stickers are surely nicer than b&w.

Later, it is only a question of imagination. But I tried that, and it worked - not in geocaching, but underwater, when I created some water-tight containers out of glass bottles. The stickers eventually leaked, because I haven't glue-lacquered the rims watertight first.

Enjoy!

I make my own stickers, by printing them up, using Scotch double sided high performance adhesive tape (same adhesive used on aircraft placards) and shipping tape (for stickers that are narrower than the tape) for a cache I would tape it to the cache with an eighth inch boarder of tape.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

quote:
Originally posted by Hiemdahl:

As pdxmarathonman posted earlier, the smaller stickers already exist. take a look at:

http://www.skydivergear.com/cgibin/cpshop.cgi/cachestickers

I'd buy those if they didn't have SkyDivers avatar and nick on them.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by SilverRubicon:

I have found lots of the plastic cache containers, glad, rubbermaid, tupperware and generic, and they all have one thing in common. Unless the hiding location protects them from the weather they all seem to leak. The change in temp here in New England is just too much for these containers. When the contents heat up the air inside expands, the press fit lid lets this expanding air out. Not a problem, however when the temp inside then drops back down it creates a vacuum. Once again the press fit lid lets the outside air back in, and along with it any moisture that happens to be present at the time. I have also found a few that have cracks or holes in them. The plastic just seems to lose what ever sealing qualities it had once it gets too cold. It also cracks easily in these cold temps.

You know I have never found an ammo box with any signs of leaking or damage.

I would have to say, at least in New England, the best container is the ammo box and the current sticker fits them just fine, with minimal triming for the small ammo box size.

SilverRubicon

I was first finder to a cache in the Cascades that was hid over a year before. They used an ammo box and teh contents were in fabulous shape! Ammo boxes rule!!!!

Here's another one: I foudn a cache after the Snoqualmie River receded down from flood stage...the box was still there and yes, the contents were just fine. The box was under several feet of water at one point!