What kind of Cellular Phone do you have

I searched the forums to see if this question had already been asked. The search came up negative. If this has been asked before please forgive me.

After frequenting these forums for a long time I've come to know a few things about Geocachers, they like high tech toys, and they have the money to buy these toys.

So what kind of phone do you carry? I carry a StarTac 7868W. Your standard Motorola phone; mini browser, digital/analog (although not GSM but I don't care). So far I like it. It sure beats the Ericsson that I had. Maybe not the most advanced or feature rich phone but it does the job for me.

tak1

I also have the startac 7868. It does fine except:

1. I break the antenna about every six months or so. Fortunately replacements are cheap.

2. The battery lasts nearly forever in digital mode, but (like all other phones) lasts only about a day in analog mode. Analog mode just sucks.

-Paul

Motorola Teleport(P8767). Nice size (with easily replaced antennas!), great battery life in digital mode, about a dayy in analog, and Internet enabled if I decide to do it-that's all I need is one more chance to check my e-mail...

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Motorola Teleport(P8767). Nice size (with easily replaced antennas!), great battery life in digital mode, about a dayy in analog, and Internet enabled if I decide to do it-that's all I need is one more chance to check my e-mail...

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

For several years (going back to carrying large battery packs!) I was in charge of the cell phone accounts and hardware at a fairly large, nation-wide company. Over the years we used a variety of providers and phone makes/models. In the end, the most reliable were AT&T as the provider and Nokia for the hardware. None are perfect, but they were consistently above the others.

Nokia with Cingular service. It's been ok, well until the last couple times I've dropped it on the pavement! Antenna is reasonably replaced, I broke it last time I shoved it in my pocket on a cache trip!

Shybabe924

=============

If life gives you lemons, stuff them in your shirt to make your boobs look bigger!

I have the Nextel Motorola i90 phone...it's pretty nice, but the service is expensive. I have friends that also have Nextel service so the "direct-connect" (2-way radio) feature is nice. Also, internet access is $15.00 a month (for the deluxe service) but it doesn't subtract from your minutes.

It's a nice phone and great service...I just wish it wasn't so pricy.

JM-99

Keep in mind that a cell phone will often lose coverage in many areas where caches tend to be hidden. Even Nextel's "direct connect" isn't direct, as the name implies. It still has to go through their cell site. So, if you happen to be in a no coverage area, direct connect won't even work if you're 20 feet away from each other (nor will any cell phone).

I just added a couple of walkie talkies to our backpack. At least that way if one person gets hurt or seperated, there can still be some communication while the other gets help or searches.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Suzanne:

Keep in mind that a cell phone will often lose coverage in many areas where caches tend to be hidden. Even Nextel's "direct connect" isn't direct, as the name implies.

I'm aware of how direct connect actually works. Soon, they will be expanding to offer nationwide direct connect service -- obviously, this will require a great deal of preparation and beefing up of their old analog systems before it will happen. Fortunately, I don't go caching in Junction, TX (for instance) where there are few towers. I called it "two-way radio" type service to explain its function to those that are not familiar with Nextel.

It's expensive, but useful...if folks here reading this are looking at buying a cell phone soon, it's worth checking out. Make sure and check the coverage in your area because, as P&S stated, it isn't nationwide now. Best coverage is in urban areas and along interstates (which is true with most other services, by the way, but...)...

JM-99

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on July 20, 2002 at 09:00 PM.]

Kyocera 6035 Smartphone, with the built in Palm pilot. I love my cellphone. I used to go two or three day's wondering where I left my palmpilot. I never lost my cellphone. Now I have both in one!

The other advantage is that you can dialup to the internet with it while on the go. I've done a basic webpage and a PQA application that allows me to find a cache page by cache id and it strips out the crap and just sends me the text.

Cheers!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Well, my phone doesn't have the snazzy internet capability that others are talking about. However, it's very lightweight and fits into a pocket like a dream without breaking the antenna.

I have the Ericsson T28 World phone.

There are a lot of things I like about it, like customized rings (I always know when it's my boss calling me!) and easy to use silent mode.

The best thing is that when one of us is outside the U.S., they're still reachable by cell phone. I don't have a list of all of the countries it works in, but I know it works in England and Taiwan.

Shannah

I have a Motorola Startac 7868 that is active on a plan from Verizon. I use this one for normal cell phone purposes. I think it's great; small convient, good signal reception, and decent battery.

I also have an old Nokia 5120 that is not active on any plan that I carry in my pack while out mountain biking. Hopefully I'll never have the need to dial 911 on it, but it's nice to know that I have that option.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
I hate the Nokia

I second that. I had one w/ ATT a while back and just knew somethign was wrong with it or the service. I sent a letter to nokia and ATT - each blamed eachother so I left with no intention of ever using ATT and Nokia ever again.

If one would have offered a replacement phone I might still be with them.

I currently use audiovox cdm-135 and it's a good little phone.

Pro's

good sound quality

very good batt life

can force analoge

2 way email text messaging- very useful

preemptive text entry (allows you to type text by using a single number (2-9) per letter - the phone figures out what the word is)

14.4 data and fax - used on laptop and pda

small and lightweight

colapsable antennia (something that I really want but you may not)

Also Verizon offers a cellular isp for just minutes to allow my laptop or pda to connect to the net.

cons

ring volumn not loud enough nor is vibrate strong enough

phone feals wimpy even though it did take lots of abuse.

talk time goes away as soon as you press the hang up button so if you want to see how long you talked you have to look before you or the other person hangs up which sometimes pushes me over the next minute.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

Don't have a cell phone. No cable TV or satellite dish, still use a 56k modem, don't have a DVD player or answering machine. The only reason I bought a GPS was to place caches - I usually find them with just a map and compass. About the only semi-hitech gadget I have is my computer, although it's three years old, and a digital camera (bought specifically for caching). One of my phones DIALS, and I still have a record player.

Hello, my name us Ogg, and I'm a caveman.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

I had one w/ ATT a while back and just knew somethign was wrong with it or the service. I sent a letter to nokia and ATT - each blamed eachother so I left with no intention of ever using ATT and Nokia ever again.

I will never use any of there services again. If they were the last service, I would do without.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

I was on contract with ATT here in Canada (here it's called Rogers/AT&T). I will stop short of saying Rogers is the d*vil, but almost. Their coverage outside of urban areas and major highways is almost non existant. And their customer support is terrible. I never had to use customer support, but people I know were with Rogers for a year and Rogers never got their names or addresses right.

tak1

I have used my Nokia 7160 for about a year using US Cellular. I have no complaints, everything works great. Oh, I get dropped calls from time to time, but that is just par for the technology. You gotta know what is reasonable functionality before setting expectations. I routinely use external antennas, occasionally strap on the fat 3600mah battery when I know I am going to be talking a lot, and carry these items with me whenever I travel.

I had a 7868W and my wife dropped it in water. Then I got another 7868W and I dropped it in water while cacheing (the belt clip isn't that secure while bushwacking). The second time we turned it off immediatly and dried it out for a week. It worked fine. Then about two monthes later it just quit. Deader than a doornail. So now I have nothing but 7868W Accessories. Sound quality never did seem to be very good but I've got nothing but an old qualcomm to compair it too.

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

Lousy sensitivity and software designed by a chimp. Try redailing a busy number. They have that frequently used funtion buried in a menu. Stupid. That's just one example.

I've had a couple of different cellphones in my time and I've found that Nokia's interface is one of the best (Guess I'm a primate..oh wait, I AM a primate!!! icon_smile.gif )

As for the redial. Try pressing the SEND key again after the call is over. Pressing SEND after a call has been redial on EVERY phone I've ever had or used, including the Nokia.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

Lousy sensitivity and software designed by a chimp. Try redailing a busy number. They have that frequently used funtion buried in a menu. Stupid. That's just one example.

I've had a couple of different cellphones in my time and I've found that Nokia's interface is one of the best (Guess I'm a primate..oh wait, I AM a primate!!! icon_smile.gif )

As for the redial. Try pressing the SEND key again after the call is over. Pressing SEND after a call has been redial on EVERY phone I've ever had or used, including the Nokia.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Yep that's the functionality I expect, but it doesn't work on the Nokia model I have. They have too many functions associated with one button. The next push after you hang up tales yu back into the menu. Really stupid design. As fa s as sensitivityis concerned this phone is a dog. My wife's motorola works where this puupy won't hunt.

I use a nokia 8260 with AT&T service and I have to say I love it. I hear people. say bad things about the coverage or customer service but personally I think they are the best out there. I've had sprint, verizon, cingular, and voice stream. and AT&T has taken care of me with everything i've needed. I also have never lost a signal out caching.

Right now I have a Nokia 8260. It is very small and light, but I do want to replace it with the new 8265 (really cool looking). Hope that helps

Good Luck with your quest!

Nokia 6160 and AT&T

Don't care much for AT&T, but they are the only carrier around here with a national presence. I travel enough that I need a nationwide plan.

I won a Nokia 9290 Communicator at a conference. It's a cool phone, or it would be if I had GSM coverage out here in the sticks. I'm a little prejudiced toward Palm anyway, so I guess I'll sell the 9290 on eBay.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
I use a nokia 8260 with AT&T service and I have to say I love it.

and

quote:
and AT&T has taken care of me with everything i've needed.

This was my point of why I hate ATT and nokia. They weren't helpful when I knew I had a problem and just blamed each other. My experence w/ ATT is stay away - no ATT long distance, no ATT credit card, no ATT cellphone, no att internet, Just slam down the phone if ATT wants me to switch to their local service. Also I had a billing dispute where I just know that I overpaid $30 that they never refunded.

Nokia might have a chance of getting me back if their products are inovative enough but ATT is on my eternal blacklist.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave