The Official Geocache Honk

Hey guys 'n' gals,

I think we should have an official Geocaching honk.

There's a cache on the way to my wife's school that's right off of the road. We always scan to see if someone is wandering around staring at a GPS screen, so I just posted a note to the weblog for future searchers will know that it's me saying "Hi" if they hear:

"honk-honk-hooooooooonk" or more accurately "beep-beep-honk"

It's a soundalike for "gee-o-caaaaache" and not very obtrusive. (Actually, it's the soundalike that CodeQuick 2000 uses to teach the Morse code sound of the letter "U": "kiss a ewwwwe".) Since soundalikes work so incredibly well, I figure this will work for the non-HAM community, too.

Why is it "official"? Because no one's thought of it before now. :-)

So there you go.

(Oh, and for those who think that geocaches are just litter, I'm sure you'll be happy to point out that we're now adding to NOISE pollution, too.)

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Back when I was swinging wrenches on the flight-line, yadda yadda ..trying to attract my attention. The teen here had some friends drop by, and instead of walking up and knocking on our door, they sat in the driveway and honked the horn. I says, "What the beep beep beep beep retarded or something!"

Basically, I hate horn blowing for anything other than a traffic alerting method.

Sorry... icon_frown.gif

What makes you think that answering someones post with a string of faked epithets is appropriate? They posted as a family so I would assume they have kids who may be reading this. I guess your member name says it all as to your intelligence level. I can't believe you think you're being funny.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Back when I was swinging wrenches on the flight-line, yadda yadda ..trying to attract my attention. The teen here had some friends drop by, and instead of walking up and knocking on our door, they sat in the driveway and honked the horn. I says, "What the beep beep beep beep retarded or something!"

Basically, I hate horn blowing for anything other than a traffic alerting method.

Sorry... icon_frown.gif

What makes you think that answering someones post with a string of faked epithets is appropriate? They posted as a family so I would assume they have kids who may be reading this. I guess your member name says it all as to your intelligence level. I can't believe you think you're being funny.

LETS GET IT ON!

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

Fine, Criminal. Feel free to ignore all vehicle horns since you're so crotchety and they're just a symbol of oppression. One of them might be to tell you to get the hell out of the way someday to save your life.

The point of this, which I thought was pretty clearly stated, was to say "Hi" to someone who is actively caching and not driving another vehicle. I guess I could always chuck the license plate frame out the window at them.

If it were me wandering around out there and someone driving by honked like that, I'd take a second to wave back to them and probably yell "howdy" if their window was down...but then again, that's just the way I was raised. If someone can't tell the difference between a friendly beep and a road rage inspired horn blasting, you have some serious problems.

Wow, this has to be one of the shortest times to complete irrelevance for any forum post.

Don't mean to sound crotchety....to you anyway. I was merely expressing my opinion on horn honking. It means different things to different people. In some places it can even erupt into gunfire. Some people think it's rude to be honked at. You may not be one of them and that's good. It isn't universal though. The topic is a good one and more will chime in with their opinions too. It’s been kind of dead on the forums lately. icon_confused.gif

Well, I have an understanding of both sides of this arguement. Although I sympathize with the original poster and the subject, unfortunately it is not a universal solution to the problem of being able to "greet" each other in the midst of our activities.

I agree with having a universal greeting, but we should probably restrict it to something less intrusive that is interpreted byt different ways by different people in different places. In a rural small town setting a horn means something entirely different from downtown Houston, Texas, or even worse, in certain areas of Los Angeles, CA???

My universal greeting is pretty simple, I just wave with either the hand that has the GPS in it, or the hand that has the computer cache printout in it, works every time. LOL.

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

When I ran into logscaler while he was hunting "Tale of Two Sisters" I cupped my hands and yelled at him. He thought; "There's some fool yelling at me".

Then I held up my GPSr and yelled at him, he thought; "There's some fool with a GPSr yelling at me".

Then I turned around to show him the Groundspeak logo on my tee-shirt and yelled again, he thought; "There's some fool geocacher yelling at me".

Red nodded her head in response. icon_wink.gif

Unknown objects are operating under intelligent control... It is imperative that we learn where UFO's come from and what their purpose is... - -Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter Director, Central Intelligence Agency 1947-1950

Poor Cragerstone,

He simply tried to post an Innocent suggestion being a friendly, open, family oriented cacher.

quote:
I think we should have an official Geocaching honk.

BUT !!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gifThe forum police caught him ! Here, let ME throw a stone too.How dare you post such a suggestion. FIE and POOEY on you.

Cragerstone, If I come by you I WILL HONK. beep-beep-hoooooonk. and wave too !

OLDFRED

copchase.gif

I think everybody here (with the exception of the obvious) is missing the point. I do not think that the actual "horn blowing" is currently the issue here. While I don't necessarily agree with "Family," I can definitely see the humor in their post.

Although off-topic, it is the initial response from "Criminal" that got all this started. What you would do, or who could get killed, blah, blah from horn blowing is fine, but I think "Freelens" summed it up well.

It is one thing to sit around yakking it up with your buddies regarding how your local football team is doing/not doing....quite another to reply to a specific thread knowing that it's originators while reading your response, are probably making it a family affair.

Being a ham, when I'd see another car with call plates, I'd honk out HI, which is didididit, didit. Used to be the other ham would recognize the code. Now if you do that to a no code ham, they're likely to think its road rage.

How about doing some frat greeting like in Indiana Jones, Final Crusade? icon_rolleyes.gif

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Honking goes on here all the time. A neighbor, friend, family member, or just a nice guy or gal going along will honk and wave. I would certainly turn and wave to someone holding up their GPSr out the car window as they drove by. Must say that im sure glad we dont live where some of you do, I know it has to be hard on ya being so terrified of that rude honk! icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

We're getting off the subject here. I'd like to suggest 3 quick toots, followed by a sustained 30 second blast, then 4 more quick toots followed by a 5 second blast.

Maybe something resembling the tune from close encounters… Doo Da Dee Doooo Daaaaa. Everyone! Quick! Run out to the nearest Pep Boys and get one of those ultra cool 5 tone horns installed.

If someone honks at me, and I’m not even in my car, I also will wonder if he is a retard or something. Maybe he’s looking for some trouble…

I’ll be their huckleberry…

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

You gotta' be careful you know... If a tired and distracted boat skipper is driving down the road, and he hears 6 blasts followed by one long blast, he may jump from his vehicle. That's an abandon ship signal. And maybe a military aircrewman may hear 6 followed by one and spontaneously egress from his vehicle.

Or a frustrated gang banger may be stuck in traffic, fondling his "9", thinking about knocking off an ATM, hears your horn which was exactly what it took to trip him off line, and he blows your a** out of your car.

Careful what signals you may be sending...

Besides, being honked at while hunting a cache is distracting.

And who needs distractions.

Hey, what was that??

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

ok sounds like the horn honking isnt going to well with the other cachers how about a salute like the coo coo coo coo coo coo coo cooooooo salute from that old movie"STRANGE BREW" now that couldnt be taken as threatning you might get some weird looks hollerin that out your window though.The salute sounds better in my head then written out i guess youll just have to rent the movie to under stand it. icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's a great idea if done to the right people or in the right place/town/area. But around here it's not really a good idea. I saw this bumper sticker on a car the other day.

Honk If You've Never Seen An Uzi Fired From A Car Window.

I have worked on a few cars that have been shot at for being in the place let alone being honked at.

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

quote:
Originally posted by MacDaddy:

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Unless they are a Geocacher and then they will be honking their horn like crazy!! LOL

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

On a side note I've always thought a secondary horn should be installed in cars. A quieter gentler horn that would be used by the one who makes a mistake in traffic. Sort of a "my bad" horn. As an aggresive driver I wouldn't be so upset with someone when they signified that they don't drive that way all the time and it was only a momentary lapse. Not that I go using my horn very often, only when what they are doing is clearly illegal. My road rage towards people traveling the speed limit and not seven miles over is my own problem to deal with. (Unless they cut me off on the highway to pass a row of semi trucks and they are only going 55.5 mph, then I just drive unreasonably close to them, weaving slighty back and forth to express my urgent displeasure.)

quote:
Originally posted by Where's_North:

On a side note I've always thought a secondary horn should be installed in cars. A quieter gentler horn that would be used by the one who makes a mistake in traffic. Sort of a "my bad" horn.

I've always wanted an "Ah-Hem" cough type of horn. Just a polite little thing. For when the guy in front of me is looking at his map, but the light has changed to green seven seconds ago. No need to be rude, but I've got a cache to get to.

On a tangent, did you ever notice how the guy farthest back from the light sees it green first. HOONNK!! It must be something with that wave/particle thing about light.

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

i'd like to suggest one long blast of 14 seconds duration foolowed by 17 short beeps. then you have to get out of your car and tapdance naked until the police arrive.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I change my original suggestion because I heard it was already used by the Clifton NJ Garden Club.

My new one is three quick toots, a sustained 45 second blast, followed by 14 quick toots and a sustained 60 second blast. Afterwhich, you should stick your head out the window and yell (really lout) "He Haw, geocaching, gabba, gabba, hey, ootsnay, itsnay, geebble peep, tay!".

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

No excess noise in the world please. Just get out of the car and go say hi! My neighbor's have someone who stops by a lot to pick them up and can't be bothered to get out and knock, they just beep the horn and it's totally uncalled for. I vote no. Is there someplace to vote?

However the secret geocaching hand signal worked for me when I met an out of town cacher at a hotel for the first time. I waited in the lobby for someone who looked like a cacher and put my hand on my chin with the index finger pointing, and it worked. He knew me right away and responded the same way. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I can’t believe this came back, regurgitated actually. My truck has, hidden under the hood, an air horn straight off the roof of a big-rig tractor-trailer. It spans almost the entire distance from the firewall to the radiator core support. There’s an air tank under the bed that’s fed by a small compressor under next to the horn. The compressor blows through a one-way check valve, tees off to a dual needle gauge in the cockpit, (one shows tank pressure and the other shows compressor pressure) and down to the tank. There’s another tee that goes to an electric solenoid valve to blow the horn. I also installed an unloading valve just downstream from the compressor to dump any pressure remaining after charging the tank. (You can’t re-start the compressor while there’s pressure in the outlet side of it.)

When I press down on that button, it will rock your world. Many have rethought a stupid lane change due to a long blast from that horn. What’s really cool is that I connected it to the extra button on my car alarm. If I’m sitting in a restaurant and someone gets too close to the truck, I can give them a heart stopping ear shattering blast from over 100 yards away.

Back to the topic, I still don’t think it’s a good idea to be honking horns at people unless it’s for a good reason.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/