For Sale Forum Etiquette?

sygyzy

I am a newbie here but I do plenty of f/s/t posts on other message boards. The thing I've noticed that differs here than all other places is level of respect for sellers.

What I mean specifically is (in at least the few posts I have gone through), the users go out of their way to question the price of the buyers. This is fine and dandy through private email AND if you are an interested customer. But in the cases I have seen, the people "threadcrapping" (term used to mean someone who posts for the sake of disrupting an ad) has no intention of buying the product.

I know the intention is always sound but nobody likes people ruining their threads.

Are there rules and such governing this? I'd like to know what others thought about it. It seems to exist here without challenge and that surprises me since it would not be allowed anywhere else that I have been.

Peace!

Sygyzy

sygyzy, I have no idea what you are talking about either. I think it's high time you went out and found some caches! Don't worry about buying and selling (especially in the general forum, where it will get thread pooped on every time icon_wink.gif)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

In a world of average people we would be ok. But alas half of us are dumber than average and on average half of us ruder than average too boot.

Maybe that half got into the forums. I know what you mean. However without even reading a single forum in eBay GPS prices hold up well compared to other eletronic items. So much so I bought new since it was a waste of my time to pay 10% less for used.

Wherever you go there you are.

Wouldn't this be a question about the actions in the Garage Sale forum? That would be my guess as to what asdfghjkl is talking about.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Many of the other "trading post" threads on other websites I've visited tend to have a certain complimentary theme, regardless of the outrageous prices sellers demand for their cast-off goods. It's all in the spirit of online negotiation and the politeness inherent in such sites tends to avoid the typical "car salesmanship" of the face-to-face world.

However, we're an ornery lot, here. We geocachers are pretty quick to question the morals and ethics of just about anyone willing to post even the most innocent or innocuous of messages. If that doesn't win an argument, though, we seem to resort to name-calling and insults about each others' intellectual abilities, sometimes questioning another's access to lead-based paint chips during youth. Barring any bull's-eyes with those types of comments, we tend to resort to the stand-by criticism of other cachers' physical features and anatomical characteristics.

We're just playing, though. At least, I hope so.

Ignore the shock. We've got an odd little subculture here with our own little sociological and sociopathic cliche'. Someone should do a study.

Regardless of how abhorred you may be, keep in mind that we really do love each other. We're just a little dysfunctional from time to time.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

[This message was edited by Lyra on January 09, 2003 at 04:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by Lyra on January 09, 2003 at 04:43 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

However, we're an ornery lot, here. We geocachers are pretty quick to question the morals and ethics of just about anyone willing to post even the most innocent or innocuous of messages. If that doesn't win an argument, though, we seem to resort to name-calling and insults about each others' intellectual abilities, sometimes questioning another's access to lead-based paint chips during youth. Barring any bull's-eyes with those types of comments, we tend to resort to the stand-by criticism of other cachers' physical features and anatomical characteristics.

Yowzer... Judging by Lyra's picture it is understandable that folks would be fearful of dipping a toe into her genepool.

This is particularly disturbing to me, being a desendant of ancestors from Martinsville.