caches in caves

Vader

I would be interested in visiting a cave cache where ever it might be. There have been 14 different cave caches in the state of Colorado at various times. I have visited them all, and I am looking for more. Where are all the cave caches? I have heard there are around 190 of them. If you know of any, and you can provide a link or even just a name and a state. Please let me know by making a note on this page.

Thanks

Dan Castellari

That's not a bad idea. I was caching with another cacher in the state (AZ) not too long ago, and we stumbled upon an old mine with an unusually long main corridor (>500'), and we never did end up going in far enough to find the main room/shaft. It would be great to place a cache in there, using some camo that would be all to fitting in a rock-ringed tunnel.

Brian

Team A.I.

I know of a cave cache near where I live here in Colorado that no one has found. It is called the Carbide Cave Cache (GC8839). I would love to go and find it myself but have no caving experience. I think it is near the Dotsero exit before the Glenwood canyon (when you are headed west on I-70.) Good luck, I would be interested to know if you find it and how much experience one would need in caving to give it a shot. I am not brave enough to try it on my own. There is a map you can download called the Fulford Cave that is all you need I think. I could have my caves mixed up so you would need to do some research for yourself before attempting it.

I will warn you now about placing caches in caves. The National Speleological Society, checks all the time for cave caches and if you place one in a cave that is under their authority, they will cause you major headaches and possibly legal ones at that. I know this from experience, I had a cave cache last year and they threatened to have me arrested. The sad part was that the cache wasn't hurting anything in anyway, they are just totally against doing anything in their caves unless you are a paying member and sometimes that doesn't matter. Although you can go to their website and find many of them listed as open to the public!!! icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Buzzard's:

I will warn you now about placing caches in caves. The National Speleological Society, checks all the time for cave caches and if you place one in a cave that is under their authority, they will cause you major headaches and possibly legal ones at that. I know this from experience, I had a cave cache last year and they threatened to have me arrested. The sad part was that the cache wasn't hurting anything in anyway, they are just totally against doing anything in their caves unless you are a paying member and sometimes that doesn't matter. Although you can go to their website and find many of them listed as open to the public!!! icon_mad.gif

This is why I'm about to do a virtual cache at a cave. I'm in agreement with the Blue Ribbon Coalition. "Preserving resources for the people, not from the people"

I'll be a card carrying member soon. And my cache will be up in the next couple of months.

Wherever you go there you are.

Now that sounds like an appropriate use for a virtual cache. I purchased a book "On Rope" from the NSS and it is very informative. They tend to be very protective of cave environments, and rightfully so. There are sensitive conditions in some caves that could even be harmed by a person breathing in a cave. But, if it is a public cave without those environmental issues, I'd like to find a cache in it. (I could use all those skills from "On Rope") icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I hate more than going to sleep is waking up.

I have had some trouble with cavers in Colorado. Right now I am not looking to start anything and I really don't want to get the disscusion going all over again. The debate over cave caches and if they are right or wrong has been talked into circles. I am just looking to try some new cave caches, and thought I would spread some ideas around. I have link information to any of the old cave caches in the state if anybody is interested.

Vader

In my younger days I ventured into many caves and mines. The thrill of exploration and discovery was too much a lure for me to stay away. In retrospect, I can't help but wonder at how lucky I am to still be here alive and kickin'. I was in caves that had previous cave ins, eroding walls, extremely confined entrances/exits, running water...

All it would have taken was one little cave in and it would have been all over! Once a cave in happens there will not be any calls for help, no digging out.

Most caves or mines have hundreds or even thousands of feet of tunnel to get lost in. Poisonous levels of carbon monoxide or other gases are a very real danger as well.

This is just a little bit of info... Take it or leave it.

Team Smoke

Keep your powder dry...

I live about an hour and a half away from Virginia City, Nevada which was the location of heavy gold and silver mining in the 1800's. I ride my mountain bike back in the hills around Virginia City and there are probably over a hundred mines in the area. Old mines are very dangerous and over the years they have several people killed due to poisonous gasses or cave-ins. I would highly recommend not placing caches in old mines.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

That's a good idea to avoid old mines. They are generally less stable than natural cave passage. Some of the old mines around here have been blasted shut so people don't just wander into them. Thanks, so far a few new cave cache locatons have been brought to my attention.

Vader

I think the best reasons for avoiding caches in caves are (in no particular order):

Your GPSr won't work in a cave!

Without proper training, you could get disoriented and not find your way back out (even with proper training this can still happen)

Many caves are 'governed' by a caving 'grotto' or group. Cavers would rather take people on tours than let them possibly damage the caves unsupervised.

There are many reasons for not allowing caching in caves, I can't go into all of them right now. I'd suggest working with your local 'grotto' before even considering going into a cave - whether or not you are a geocacher.

bandbass.gif

Having caved and geocached I can attest that the caving community is similarly focused on being a responsible sport as geocachers. Caves are so much more easy to damage than the surface world and they very much want to protect them from harm--from deliberate harm, unintented harm, and general dummies.

GPS has caused some serious consternation because there's a bit of an unwritten rule that newbie cavers go to the trashed, easy caves first. And as they prove their mettle (could be the same day) cavers will take you to their most secret and undisturbed caves. Ones where you deliberately walk in previously made foot prints and don't even touch the walls.

It would be far healthier for our two sports to get to know each other and build some trust.

And, if you still consider making a geocache cave at least do it for only the most trashed, graffiti ridden, obvious caves.

quote:
Originally posted by TriCityGuy:

And as they prove their mettle (could be the same day) cavers will take you to their most secret and undisturbed caves.

There is the crux. Geocaching is an open sport. We don't have secret rituals for our secret and guarded caches. Cavers do though. One you are 'in' you are in but not just any dummy (and I know the kind of morons you are talking about) can be 'in'.

Wherever you go there you are.