Logging your own cache?

Bubba Cache

This topic has to have been covered before, so sorry for re-hasing it if it has. I don't log my own caches, but I noticed some people are their own FTF????? Is this against caching etiquette? I don't personally log my own. Just checking to see if I am missing out on finds from an acceptable practice of logging your own.

" If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride...and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." Paul "Bear" Bryant

God Bless you and your family.

God bless

Logging your own cache is really silly. Of course you can find it. You put it there!

There are some people who log "founds its" on their own cache each time they make a maint visit. I don't see the point, other than to crank up your find counts. Pretty sad.

I know some people log their own event caches. It's not someting I do, but I don't have a major problem with that though. It seems to be pretty common...but a real cache...gimme a break!.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

We are a caching team of two. Early on we logged a few of our own caches when Spark found them but was not involved with the hide and where she had no clues other than the cache page. These were special caches. I've placed over 70 caches and she has only been on a half dozen of those hides. We logged 3 at most in this manner.

Logged one other of ours as a find where a helpful cache team replaced our lost container and hid it very differently. We had to find it just like anyone else. Later on I deleted all those finds or changed them to notes.

Solved the condition by creating a "watch" account for Spark so she can watch specific caches she is interested in. Now I post her finds on that account. This way she can also log finds when I take her to cool caches that I've already logged. She actually doesn't care a hoot about logging separately and I do this for her only to humor myself. But it does keep questionable finds off our list.

[This message was edited by Team Sagefox on November 03, 2003 at 11:56 AM.]

I saw a FTF logging for a cache that was recently placed where the finder actually went into the woods with the cache owner and 'found' the cache 10 minutes after it was hidden. Basically, it seemed they hiked in together but the FTF'r waited out of site for the cache to be placed then the owner pretty much said "it's hidden. go for it." Then the FTF'r searched the area, found the cache, and even claimed the FTF prize which he said he didn't think was a big deal since his friend had left so much other good stuff in the cache anyways.

I logged my own cache once. I had went to check on it and couldn't find it, so I emailed the previous finder. He told me where he had put it, and I went back and still couldn't find it, so I posted as a could not find, after exchanging emails a few more times I finally found it. Figgered I deserved a find on that one.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

I've only logged one of my own caches (Shoe Corner). It was a virutal cache.

That's because I placed it based on a newspaper article I read without actually visiting the location. It was only a month or so later that I actually drove the hundred miles or so to see it myself and log my visit. That was sort of a unique experience espesically since I don't really do virtuals anymore.

Having said that I do think it's tacky logging one's own cache. But frankly I don't really care if someone feels the need to do it. Bottom line one's own cache count means nothing except to that person.

Some people log finds on the same cache each time the go back to retrieve a travel bug. I had one person visit one of my caches four times. Often his "Found it" logs simply said, "Was in the area. Thought I'd stop by and check on the cache. Everything is fine."

I got a chuckle out of that. whatever makes him happy.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters:

I saw a FTF logging for a cache that was recently placed where the finder actually went into the woods with the cache owner and 'found' the cache 10 minutes after it was hidden. Basically, it seemed they hiked in together but the FTF'r waited out of site for the cache to be placed then the owner pretty much said "it's hidden. go for it." Then the FTF'r searched the area, found the cache, and even claimed the FTF prize which he said he didn't think was a big deal since his friend had left so much other good stuff in the cache anyways.

LAME!!!!

.-=Amish_Hacker=-.

==Clippy Clop Clippy Clop Bang Bang Clippy Clop==

'=-Amish Drive By-='

Logged a DNF on my own cache recently, isn't it embarassing? And it wasn't really gone, just moved some 20 yards. A week later, '39 Geezer e-mailed me that he found it and put it back where it belonged.

And once my multicache-placing partner logged an FTF. We were scaling a mountain together. One of us would stay behind at a multi container, while the other one would call on a cell phone to report coords and hints for the next part of the multi. His opinion was that he found the final part which I hid, w/o any help. But I really dunno what the etiquette would be with respect to multi's. It kind of makes sense to find all req'd parts, but what if you just stumble upon the final part?

A log means you visited it. So if you visit your own cache to check it's still there, in good shape or to put a new book there or add content, it's logical to log your own visit to your own cache.

I did this once after 2 persons logued that the cache was missing. I checked the cache and found it had been stolen and as this was a visit, I logued it then archived the cache.

Visit implies log. Wether the cache is yours or not is not relevant. C programming probably disturbed my conception of what logic has to be though icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gilbertf:

A log means you visited it. So if you visit your own cache to check it's still there, in good shape or to put a new book there or add content, it's logical to log your own visit to your own cache.

I did this once after 2 persons logued that the cache was missing. I checked the cache and found it had been stolen and as this was a visit, I logued it then archived the cache.

Visit implies log. Wether the cache is yours or not is not relevant. C programming probably disturbed my conception of what logic has to be though icon_wink.gif

err, not really icon_eek.gif

1 - even assuming you could log your own cache, how could you log the stolen cache - you didn't sign the log book!

2 - Visit does not imply log - it implies Note as required for maintenance or TB moving!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

mtc:

all visits should be logged IN THE GENERAL SENSE of the word "log", not as in "log a find". Can it be this is where the wires crossed?

so let me see if I got all this:

some visits are seeks.

seeks are found or DNF logs.

maintenance or bugs are notes.

not all visits are logs.

note this logic does not mention the owner.

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

quote:

In this case, as noted by others, you would log your visit as a NOTE. Any maintainence visit should be logged as a NOTE.

It would normally be inappropriate to log your own cache as a FOUND.

There could be mitigating circumstances such as the Eraseek example and possibly my earlier examples but even those are gray areas. If you are visiting your own cache and it is in substantially the same location as where you hid it then it should not be considered a find.

quote:

Sorry, but no. "Find" implies having to look for something without knowing its location. If you placed it, you should know where it is, and there is no "finding" involved.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

When I log my own cache I consider the log entry as a note, not like a real "find" which has no sense. The cache owner, as the owner, is allowed to remove any log he doesn't see fit. As the owner, this also means he/she has the final word on what he/she considers as a valid log. If I want to log my own cache, I do it because it's mine icon_smile.gif

Well what matters is what is logued : visiting your own cache has no sense unless it's to add something or replace the book when it's full. Checking that a cache is still there doesn't require a log from the owner unless this leads to archiving the cache : that's what I did.

When 2 persons checked the cache and reported it empty, I went there and found it had been stolen. I archived the cache and logued my "final visit" as a note, explaining when and why it has been closed. I believe that in this exceptionnal case the log has a logical sense. But adding a log because you, the owner, visited your own cache would have no real meaning as I already said. Hope I am less obscure now icon_wink.gif

Here's the link to my own cache that I archived :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2c0d34af-7e5e-4a35-990a-fe50cda8efe3

I just checked my stats page : the log entry does not show up as a "found" in stats. I found 3 caches up to now and the log I added to my own cache to archive it is not counted as a find.

So I probably selected "Archive" or "Note" when I closed it.

Geee Hopes this saves my Geocacher's soul icon_biggrin.gif

Here's what I like to do:

1.) Create a cache and as soon as it is approved

2.) Log it as a FTF

3.) Log it again for a maintenance visit

4.) Immediately Archive it

5.) Then, change the name and coordinates on it and resubmit it as a new cache!

Repeat steps 2-5 over and over, as fast as possible!

In reality, I never even really hide the cache, so there is no chance that anyone else might find it!

majicman - 45,321 finds (all my own caches) - 45,321 hides, active caches - 0

icon_wink.gif

--majicman

Whenever I see somebody log a find on their own cache (with exceptions noted in above posts) or log a second find for a TB, I assume they are just new and don't know any better, (although I can't understand why they don't see the other, more appropriate, options in the list of log types that they HAVE TO access in order to find and select the "found it" log type).

If I look at their profile and see that they aren't even close to being a noob, I assume they are either slow, or have zero integrity.

Either way, it's no skin off my nose.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Ill admit

1) i logged my own locationless

2) i plan to hunt BOTH of MY roving caches and log a find on BOTH, since i really am not quite sure where they are... i mean i know where they are in a general sence but that is it.

3) if i had an event i would log it.

not to up my finds... that is of little concern to me. more of a record of the hunt and on the rovers... all finds NEED logging

icon_wink.gif Now where did I set my GPS??? icon_wink.gifplanetrobert.net

So far, my wife has not logged a FTF on either of my two caches simply because we didn't want to even look cheesey.

The first one, she only knew that I had found a hollow tree in the park that we had talked about placing a cache in. She only had coords, and that one bit of info to find it with.

The second one, she had no inside info, and still has never even seen the amazing wilderness area in a space surrounded by houses and city where you would never expect miles of trails (which is why I placed it there).

Part of the problem is that I can tell her when it goes online (though I myself have to watch for it), which gives her a head start.

I may just start telling her when I submit one, and let her look for it to come online herself (provided she has no info that is unavailable to everyone else).

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

So far, my wife has not logged a FTF on either of my two caches simply

because we didn't want to even look cheesey.

The first one, she only knew that I had found a hollow tree in the

park that we had talked about placing a cache in. She only had coords,

and that one bit of info to find it with.

The second one, she had no inside info, and still has never even

seen the amazing wilderness area in a space surrounded by houses

and city where you would never expect miles of trails (which is why

I placed it there).

Part of the problem is that I can tell her when it goes online (though

I myself have to watch for it), which gives her a head start.

I may just start telling her when I submit one, and let her look for

it to come online herself (provided she has no info that is unavailable

to everyone else).

So far, my wife has not logged a FTF on either of my two caches simply

because we didn't want to even look cheesey.

The first one, she only knew that I had found a hollow tree in the

park that we had talked about placing a cache in. She only had coords,

and that one bit of info to find it with.

The second one, she had no inside info, and still has never even

seen the amazing wilderness area in a space surrounded by houses

and city where you would never expect miles of trails (which is why

I placed it there).

Part of the problem is that I can tell her when it goes online (though

I myself have to watch for it), which gives her a head start.

I may just start telling her when I submit one, and let her look for

it to come online herself (provided she has no info that is unavailable

to everyone else).

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

So it seems the general concensus is to NOT log traditional caches you own but event caches you host could be logged as an 'attended'. I am in total agreement with not logging owned caches but I'm still unsure of the integrity of logging hosted events. We did attend it, so shouldn't we be able to log it as attended? (We haven't yet logged any of our own events,but we know cachers who have.)

You would think the software could be patched to prevent this, and to "fix" all current entries of this nature...

Actually, a software fix isn't really viable. The software only recognizes one user account id as the owner of the cache, which may not be the same as the person or persons that hid the cache. That was the justification (which I don't agree with) used by those involved in the hiding of 600-something caches on a power trail for logging their own hides.

So it seems the general concensus is to NOT log traditional caches you own but event caches you host could be logged as an 'attended'. I am in total agreement with not logging owned caches but I'm still unsure of the integrity of logging hosted events. We did attend it, so shouldn't we be able to log it as attended? (We haven't yet logged any of our own events,but we know cachers who have.)

There other exception is a case where one has adopted a cache that they previously found. I've got a few caches that I previously found, and now own. I wouldn't have adopted a cache that I *didn't* previously find since I wouldn't know if it was worth adopting unless I had actually found it.

I don't believe you should log your own caches as "found it". You can make a note or something of that nature if you need to. Also, allowing someone else to log a FTF that you just hid is really LAME. To them it's all about the numbers. Get a grip. Let someone else get the FTF.