Telling someone half a world away about Geocaching for the first time!

zoisrus

Has anyone had the experience of telling someone far away about Geocaching for the first time-someone who lives an ocean away. I just had the unexpected and very pleasant experience of explaining Geocaching to a young woman who lives literally half a world away from me. Nat lives near East London, East Cape down in South Africa. She had ICQ'ed initially just chat about shared hobbies (camping, hiking, and training dogs) and she knew what a GPS was. HOwever she had never heard of Geocaching when I mentioned it was something I enjoyed right along with hiking and dog activities. After I explained Geocaching briefly, Nat said it sounded like a exciting hobby but that she doubted anyone did it in South Africa. So I quickly went to the website and e-mailed her the link to the list of 96 cache sites in her country. That info was of course news to her. Now Nat is REALLY interested in finding out more about our hobby. The power of the internet with regard to reaching out to individuals all over the world......it will never cease to amaze..

Well, not an ocean away, but it was 2000 miles. I mentioned geocaching in an email to some folks I met up with out west one time. We kept in touch loosely. I knew they used GPSR's to find their way when mountaineering in the rockies, so I mentioned this site. They loved it!

You know there was a post about a month or so ago about explaining geocaching.....This most clever person posted the note on the thread and sized it up so that it could be printed on 1/2 a page of card stock and given out.........

I just wish that I could remember exactly what the topic of it was so I could print some up.

I sport the messenger bag that jeremy had for sale, while I'm working. Been stopped many times ot explain the sport and eventually end up going all the way back to "onstar" to explain the GPS part........I'de love to have that geocaching card...

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Totally off topic.... but the expression in your topic has me wondering... if someone on the other side of the planet is half a world away... Is someone "a whole world away"... sitting in your back yard?

Nevermind... I guess I was in a whole 'nother world when I asked that!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Come to think about it... if someone IS sitting in my backyard... I guess they probably are... oh nevermind!

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Totally off topic.... but the expression in your topic has me wondering... if someone on the other side of the planet is half a world away... Is someone "a whole world away"... sitting in your back yard?

Nevermind... I guess I was in a whole 'nother world when I asked that!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Come to think about it... if someone IS sitting in my backyard... I guess they probably are... oh nevermind!

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Try this thread. I finally came up a variation of geospotter's card that has worked very well. The text goes something like this:

Geocaching is a worldwide recreational activity dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users. It involves a GPS user hiding a "treasure" (usually a waterproof container of trinkets) and posting the exact coordinates so other GPS users can come on a "treasure hunt" to find it. There are caches of all kinds for all ages and are usually placed in interesting locations in your area that you may not know about. That makes it all the more interesting to find! When you find one take any trinket you like and leave one of your own to keep the cache full.

If you'd like to play it's easy (and free). If you already own a GPS and have access to the World Wide Web, then you have everything you need. Just logon to www.geocaching.com and check for caches in your area.(I live in western Massachusetts and there are nearly 400 caches within 100 miles of my house!) So, go to the website, plug the coordinates of a cache near you into your GPS, and go find it!

Geocaching.com encourages a friendly attitude towards natural resources with its ?Cache-In, Trash-Out? philosophy. Geocachers are encouraged to tread lightly in the wilderness, respect private property and to remove litter from public places whenever possible. Geocachers understand that the future of this activity depends on maintaining respectful, open communication with local, state, and federal officials.

Throw in a couple of good looking geocaching.com logos and you're set. I use Century Schoolbook italic 8 point font, and it makes into a nice fold-over card. Right now, I print and cut mine manually. It's a pain, so I don't make that many at a time.

Hope that helps!!

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!